What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

It was alright. I would have to say it was mostly a pretty standard action/adventure flick geared toward kids, although, like E.T., they snuck in some cursing and penis jokes. Karen Gillan and Jack Black especially were very good. Jack Black teaching her how to distract men was some funny shit. Young boys, the target audience, should have a sexual awakening when they see Karen Gillan's body. If there hadn't been a few other people in the theater, I might have pulled a Pee-Wee Herman.

Weirdly, Netflix UK has all of the old Pee Wee Herman children's shows on it, and it's literally the first and only access Brits have had of it, ever. My kids absolutely love it! Even I don't mind it... 

Is Black Panther an impossible film to review? It seems positive reviews will be accused of being afraid of being called racist, and negative to moderate reviews will just be called racist. Sounds like they've got everyone by the balls on this one.

A truly racist review would be "This movie sucks because I hate black people". But now everyone reads for subtext that isn't there because they're paranoid, neurotic freaks.

1712270320263_l.jpg

What it is with forlorn, snowy landscapes that makes them so eminently watchable? Very chilly, atmospheric, well-played thriller with Jeremy Renner as hunter entagled in a murder mystery in the dead of Colorado winter. Score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis follows suit, could have done with a stronger thematic base.

4 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Is Black Panther an impossible film to review? It seems positive reviews will be accused of being afraid of being called racist, and negative to moderate reviews will just be called racist. Sounds like they've got everyone by the balls on this one.

A truly racist review would be "This movie sucks because I hate black people". But now everyone reads for subtext that isn't there because they're paranoid, neurotic freaks.

If a reviewer is called racist, all he has to do is say "I'm the least racist person you will ever meet". Problem solved!

41 minutes ago, publicist said:

1712270320263_l.jpg

What it is with forlorn, snowy landscapes that makes them so eminently watchable? Very chilly, atmospheric, well-played thriller with Jeremy Renner as hunter entagled in a murder mystery in the dead of Colorado winter. Score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis follows suit, could have done with a stronger thematic base.

An Avengers duo movie?

Regarding BLACK PANTHER (a film that, I admit, have no plans to watch);

what's the difference between a white reviewer calling it "rubbish", and a black reviewer calling SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING "rubbish"?

It's the film that's being criticised, and not the motives behind it.

I honestly don't believe a white reviewer would shy away from saying the movie was bad just because it is a meta movie right now, if that's how they felt about it. What paranoid tosh! Actually, whenever I read these sorts of speculative commentaries in the online forum, Drax's predictable response for eg, I consider it to be racially motivated in nature. 

It could have been a good film. It has a very strong cast and nice production design. The idea behind it is mostly sound but so terribly underdeveloped. I was quite bored by it actually.

Karol

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I honestly don't believe a white reviewer would shy away from saying the movie was bad just because it is a meta movie right now, if that's how they felt about it. What paranoid tosh! Actually, whenever I read these sorts of speculative commentaries in the online forum, Drax's predictable response for eg, I consider it to be racially motivated in nature. 

I think you might need to re-read my post more carefully, especially the second par.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I haven't seen any reviews, is it supposed to be really good or something? 

I didn't read anything before going in. But yeah, it got some good reviews. But then, most Marvel stuff seems to get high ratings so that doesn't say much.

Karol

Phantom Thread , because in Febuary I go watch a few of the Oscar nominated films

It wasn't my type of movie at all, but I'm always curious about movies where  60 year old guys  attract beautiful women decades younger like it's a non issue

4 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Molly's Game

I liked the leads, but the movie wasn't particularly compelling. Still, they aren't shy about showing off Molly's breasts. Woof! She's a babe.

Chastain is even hotter with red hair. I was riveted in her scenes in The Huntsman: Winter's War.

--

Lady Bird

It's a nice, authentically messy coming-of-age story. There's a lot to like about Greta Gerwig's script and direction, which is smooth and assured. And even though I don't have XX chromosomes, I could relate to LB's relationship with her parents and how complicated it can be. Laurie Metcalf should be getting more dramatic roles, her scenes with Saoirse Ronan were excellent. Ronan herself continues to excel, she is building up quite the resume for herself.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

There's a lot to admire about this movie, it's darkly comedic but never loses its dramatic potency or quirkiness. Frances McDormand's character does several deeds that would get her at least several felony counts in a larger city, but you never stop emphasizing with her frustration, rage, and bitterness underlining it. When her character does break down or smile, it hits the heart. You feel like you know her, or someone like her. Sam Rockwell is excellent too, as well as Woody Harrelson, but this is McDormand's film from start to finish. 

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

One of the most perfect films of the decade, I'd say.

(When it's screened intact...)

Lol! I can only imagine. I was fortunate enough to see it without any theater problems. 

Black Panther - I really liked it. Jordan as Killmonger is by far one of Marvel's strongest villains (he has an actual reasonable motivation, and arc), and the movie has a lot to say in terms of themes and politics, but it never feels overwhelming. Plus the action sequences were great. Possibly in my top five of the MCU (still thinking it over though), the only downside is that for a change the hero is less interesting than the actual villains, still that's minor in the grand scheme of themes. Definitely one of the more impressive Marvel films anyway. - 8 / 10

Spoiler

I don't think that was terribly interesting motivation at all. Loki has a reasonable motivation in Thor (purely for his dad to respect him), Zemo has a reasonable motivation in Civil War. (to take revenge on the people whose reckless display of arrogance cost him his family). They both have human motivations that you could personally identify with because they both represent our own flaws and we could see ending up in their position. They are not trying to take over the world or destroy everything. But what on Earth is Killmonger's motivation? For all its Shakespearean setup of family sins etc... it still ends up being another villain who wants to destroy shit and sell weapons. How is that interesting? There are two tiny scenes late in the film trying to add slight depth to it but it's too little and too late. Because there's a massive gap between what they tell us about we should feel about this character vs what he actually does in the story. All of which is in the film solely because it needs to hit its typical beats. I get what they were trying to go for in the grand scheme of things but this is bad writing. Or unimaginative writing at best.

I liked some things about it (score, production design, most of the cast). But it just doesn't feel like the film had guts to go anywhere with anything. It's just more of the same.

Karol 

Each to their own of course. 

Regarding the score, I did really like the use of African drums, and there was a decent hero theme as well. I'm a big fan of Goransson's creed, so I hope this make for a great listen outside of the score, like that did. I'll say, Marvel scores for phase 2 are overall quite an improvement over phase 1.