What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

You'd take the weakest Fincher movie over the best?

They’re all great, but I find Panic Room to be really underrated in its execution and visuals; and The Game was a thrill ride upon first viewing. Fincher’s only bad film is Alien 3. 

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't necessarily make it a bad car either. Sure Alien 3 has a bit of a weak script and glaring editing issues, but it has some strengths including its mood, bold production design, music and Sigourney. To call it "unwatchable" is just a silly hyperbolic dismissal. The worst accusation that could be hurled at it is that it's not really all that exciting like the first two.

2 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Doesn't necessarily make it a bad car either. Sure Alien 3 has a bit of a weak script and glaring editing issues, but it has some strengths including its mood, bold production design, music and Sigourney. To call it "unwatchable" is just a silly hyperbolic dismissal. The worst accusation that could be hurled at it is that it's not really all that exciting like the first two.

Some of those strengths are precisely the reason why I think it's so terrible. I hated the mood, but most of all, I hate the direction. It's all in how you deliver something. It's like Fincher tries to sell you a turd but he acts as if it's gold. Some people might fall for it, others don't. I definitely see a turd and nothing but a turd. 

58 minutes ago, Richard said:

I know I'm going to get rapped in the mouth for this, but.. ALIEN 3 is nor only my favourite Fincher film, it's also my favourite ALIEN film. So, there :lick:

Of course, Richard, but you always pick an artist's worst work and claim it's the best. You love to be contrary like that. It's why you always say "For every Dark Side Of The Moon there's a The Endless River. And by doing so, you're actually discrediting the true masterpieces. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Of course, Richard, but you always pick an artist's worst work and claim it's the best. You love to be contrary like that.

You really do enjoy shovelling-up utterances, and depositing them into people's orifices, don't you?

Read my post, again, and find anywhere why I stated that ALIEN 3 is Fincher's best work? I said "favourite", which anyone with even a modicum of understanding of the English language knows, is entirely different, to "best". Now, get yourself to the nearest optician, and then, back to school.

As much as I like Alex (and I do like Alex), I've never met a JWfaner who seems to misinterpret deliberately, just about everything that's placed before him.

#I could say "day"

And you could say "night",

Tell me it's black when I know that it's white.

It's always the same

It's just a shame

That's all#

He did that to me on the topic of letterbox bars. I personally don't care whether they're there or not, what's important is the composition of the image between them and the chromatographic process. But Alex interpreted that to mean I "hate" them because he fetishises them.

Unfortunately, to watch a 2.35 film, on a 1.85 TV, means letterbox bars. Personally, if I see what the director intended me to see, then I'll happily watch a letterboxed film.

I have, however, a friend who insists on reformatting 2.35 films, for his 1.85 TV.

I haven't seen a film at his house, for ages...

Just now, Richard said:

It looks prettying 'effing 1.85, to me, Jay, but...thanks, as I did not know that.

Do you know that Sony once manufactured a 2.35 TV?

Philips did too. You see some newer computer monitors with the 21:9 aspect ratio.

3 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Well it is just as bad when someone insists on matting 1.85:1 films in 2.35:1 even if it means mucking up the composition of the image, just for the sake of making it look "more cinematic".

Every DVD/Blue Ray player that I have ever had, insists on presenting my copy of THE ABYSS to make it look like it was shot in 2.65:1. It's annoying.

Just now, Richard said:

Every DVD/Blue Ray player that I have ever had, insists on presenting my copy of THE ABYSS to make it look like it was shot in 2.65:1. It's annoying.

Because it was a 4:3 letterbox DVD. So the player just stretches it to fit a 16:9 tele.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Can you adjust the aspect ratio on your TV to fix this?

7 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Because it was a 4:3 letterbox DVD. So the player just stretches it to fit a 16:9 tele.

Ah! Bloody Twentieth Century Fox!

Proper anamorphic, 4K restored, DTS 7.1, thirtieth anniversary edition, now!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Can you adjust the aspect ratio on your TV to fix this?

I could, but it takes so long, and I have to change the ****ing back, afterwards!

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

It looks prettying 'effing 1.85, to me, Jay, but...thanks, as I did not know that.

Do you know that Sony once manufactured a 2.35 TV?

16:9 = 16/9 = 1.777777777777777777777:1

1.85:1 films have letterbox bars on modern TVs too, Richard: just very small ones.

Incidentally, 1.77777777777777:1 was chosen for the aspect ratio of modern TVs because it is literally exactly halfway between 4:3 (1.33333333333333:1)  and 2.35:1.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

16:9 = 16/9 = 1.777777777777777777777:1

1.85:1 films have letterbox black bars on modern TVs too, Richard: just very small ones.

Incidentally, 1.77777777777777:1 was chosen for the aspect ratio of modern TVs because it is literally exactly halfway between 4:3 (1.33333333333333:1)  and 2.35:1.

Lots of 7s, and 3s, in your post, there, Jay.

Geez, I can't wait to meet you all, in October!

5 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

If your TV has a variety of zoom functions, it's achievable. Unfortunately most TVs don't.

"Zoom"? I really don't want to look right up Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio's nose, thank you very much!

1 minute ago, Glóin the Dark said:

On the contrary; he's been skimping on the 7s and 3s!

Yeah! 

More 7s, and 3s, Jay!

Maybe Jay is doing all those 7s for luck?

Richard, if according to you Alien3 is the best entry in the entire Alien franchise then certainly you must think it's up there with Fincher's best? I mean, are you really telling me Alien3 is one of Fincher's weakest movies but that it's still way better than Alien or Aliens?!  I have nothing against people who are a bit contrary in nature but this is taking it too far!

Alex, Richard didn't say Alien 3 is the best Alien film, he said its his favorite.  That's the entire point of his argument, if you actually read his post where he explains it.

I guess for me there's not much difference between favorite and best. For instance, Empire Of The Sun is probably my favorite JW CD and that automatically entails that I think it's one of his best. 

Exactly!

Schindler's List is a great movie, but its not one of my favorite movies; I've only seen it twice.

Meanwhile, Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one of my favorite movies, but its hardly one of the best movies ever made.

20 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

My favourite movie is ID4, but fuck I know it's not the best movie ever made.

If you don't follow your heart, how do you know what the best movie is then? Again, my favorites are based upon the movies I deem the best. If I don't like a movie, then I don't care what everyone says, it's not the best movie ever for me. I follow my heart. It's the only way I know how to appraise something.

If I like a movie while realizing it's not very good then I call that a guilty pleasure, I wouldn't place it in my Top 10 favorite movies.

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

If you don't follow your heart, how do you know what the best movie is then? Again, my favorites are based upon the movies I deem the best. If I don't like a movie, then I don't care what everyone says, it's not the best movie ever for me. I follow my heart. It's the only way I know how to appraise something.

Someone's favourite movie might be Plan 9 From Outer Space because they enjoy the kitsch value, but they're in no way deluded to think it's the "best".

Semantics.

Just now, Alexcremers said:

I can enjoy the kitsch value of certain movies but that sort of enjoyment is not enough for put them in my top 10 favorite movies.

But that's the very strict definition of someone who has seen too many movies. ;)

Next time I'll ask people what their top 10 best movies are, not their favorites. 

- So why are they not in you Top 10 favorite movies?

- Oh, they are good but they are not my favorites.

- So how do you know they are good if they don't make you list of favorites?

:eh:

So how many movies have each of you seen? I'm compiling mine into a spreadsheet list with strict criteria and I've so far reached 1,200+, and the number keeps growing at the rate of how many more movies I remember seeing. I'm a bit disappointed by the number, I thought I'd seen way more than that.