What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

How many movies? No idea. There used to be a time when I watched a movie per day or more. I don't watch that many movies anymore. TV is where it's at!

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

Jeez, Alex. People are not as anal either about their movie preferences or the semantics attached to their ratings.

I am! And I can't be the only one.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify, my strict criteria is that in order for a film to qualify for the list, I've had to have seen all of it from beginning to end, they must be feature films (no shorts), and made-for-TV films and direct-to-video films are included.

I can generally say with confidence whether I've seen any given film made in this millennium. It's when I get back to things that I may or may not have seen in the 90s (or before) that some things are hazy. A list of the films that I know for sure that I've seen would fall considerably short of 1800, while a list of things that I have a hunch I saw would considerably exceed it.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

16:9 = 16/9 = 1.777777777777777777777:1

1.85:1 films have letterbox bars on modern TVs too, Richard: just very small ones.

So small in fact that reformatting between 1.77:1 and 1.85:1 probably wouldn't cause any noticeable issues in most cases, especially considering that there's usually a bit of masking going on with home projection setups.

Speaking of which, can anyone explain why modern TVs still insist on having overscan configured by default?

And for the record, I'm still a big fan of Alien³.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Speaking of which, can anyone explain why modern TVs still insist on having overscan configured by default?

Is it normal for modern TVs to give the option of turning overscan off? My current TV does, but none of its predecessors did. The first DVD player I owned had a "Shrink" feature that reduced the size of the image by just enough to compensate for the TV's overscan, but when that player kicked the bucket I couldn't find another with the same feature and had to make do with overscanned pictures for years...

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Is it normal for modern TVs to give the option of turning overscan off?

I don't think there are any that have forced overscan, but it's my impression at least that configurable (and on by default) overscan is quite normal. I think consoles still have it, too, or at least the option to enable it.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Meanwhile, Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one of my favorite movies, but its hardly one of the best movies ever made.

I bet you've seen it "nine times". 

He cannot, he cannot, he cannot, he cannot he cannot, he cannot, he cannot suhwing better!

6 hours ago, publicist said:

But only after you soaked up all those Bette Davis movies.

If Jerry watches any more of those films, he'll end up with Bette Davis eyes.

50 minutes ago, Richard said:

He cannot, he cannot, he cannot, he cannot he cannot, he cannot, he cannot suhwing better!

It's "he can't hit", they are heckling the opponents during their time at bat

Black Panther

I'm impressed. It's such a breath of fresh air compared to the last batch of Marvel films (like Guardians V2), it celebrates African culture and revels in its mostly black cast. Chadwick Boseman is constantly upstaged by Lupita Nyong'o as his love interest, Danai Gurira as the badass Okoye, Letitia Wright as T'Challa's Q-like sister, and Michael B. Jordan as a surprisingly sympathetic but villainous Killmonger.

Ryan Coogler uses the $200 million budget very well, even though some VFX work is iffy, and the script he co-wrote with Joe Robert Cole deftly balances social commentary with humor, action, and intrigue. And it is very colorful and vibrantly lensed by Rachel Morrison (who should be getting more comic-book film offers!), and an intelligent score by Coogler's regular collaborator Ludwig Goransson. 

That is typically my experience with movies that have "social messages" yes.  And with that element not landing for me, there wasn't much else to grab onto either.  Just another superhero flick.  Why I still see them is uncertain.

Sort of indirectly related to this discussion, but I've found that artists tend to make their masterpieces when they least expected it to happen, probably didn't mean for it to happen, and most likely had a lot of help from other talented people in making it happen.

But they become resentful that they weren't aware that they were making their "masterpiece" while they were making it, so they attempt to recapture that glory to make their "next even better masterpiece", more self conscious this time to replicate the prior achievement, but it often comes out highly flawed, and not as well received as the one before. It might even turn out bad! Some artists spend the rest of their lives chasing back that euphoria they had before and it never works out the same.

I actually thought the film wasn't as heavy handed as I expected it to be. It's certainly nothing great, but it's pretty decent entertainment, with some solid ingredients.

Granted, I walked in with pretty low expectations.

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

Is it the greatest film ever made?

No, but it felt new and unique. I thought the social commentary was well-integrated and not obnoxiously over-the-head like Avatar and Happy Feet's pro-environment message.

I'm slow when it comes to watching movies. I don't watch a lot, and I don't watch them immediately, but I have finally seen one that's been on my list for two years.

La La Land

Colour, vibrancy, beauty. The music is awesome, the cinematography is just astonishing, and the storyline is light and airy (even when it's not expressly comedic). Playful and joyous and musical. Loved it.

5 hours ago, TGP said:

That is typically my experience with movies that have "social messages" yes.  And with that element not landing for me, there wasn't much else to grab onto either.  Just another superhero flick.  Why I still see them is uncertain.

One of my biggest issues for me was the pacing. It took ages to get going. And then it took ages to end.

Karol

Pacing seems to be one of the filmmaking fundamentals they're not bothering with these days. As if they're designing films to feature long stretches of vacuum to cater to audiences who want to look at their smartphones at the same time.

48 minutes ago, crocodile said:

One of my biggest issues for me was the pacing. It took ages to get going. And then it took ages to end.

Karol

So it's slow? People can actually fully absorb the atmosphere? It's not just a story being telexed to the audience like in many a Nolan flick?

Alright!!!

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

So it's slow? People can actually fully absorb the atmosphere? It's not just a story being telexed to the audience like in many a Nolan flicks?

Alright!!!

Yeah it is very Kubrickian with a dash of early Malick. And a sprinkle of Bergman's metaphysical angst.

Karol

MV5BNGNiNWQ5M2MtNGI0OC00MDA2LWI5NzEtMmZi

A nice, off-beat love story among society's outcasts...outstanding direction in art design and such, wonderful actors, but the story beats and some of the caricatures making life miserable for our main cast felt a bit too perfunctory and contrived to make the poetic finale count. Still, very good. Score came off very muted in the movie.

3 Billboards

good acting but the story wasn't really about anything that interesting and about events we never see .It was literally about about the 3 billboards

Thor: Ragnarök

Wow. That was kind of bad?

Someone, somewhere decided that instead of characters, motivations and plot, we'll just have 9 billion jokes in the movie which is about a whole planet we knew for multiple movies, and kind of a memorable location, being annihilated. And at least 75% of them got no reaction out of me, not even a cringe or a "That was horrible!".

The worst is turning Thor into another cookie cutter joke machine that we already have about 5 of in this universe completely out of nowhere. Wasn't he the "serious" one so far, who didn't get any of the jokes unless they were about beer or killing people? If it was incorporated as a bit of character development, like he makes a few one liners, then suddenly realises "Oh my Odin, I've spent too much time with those idiots, I'm turning into one of them!", it could have been funnier or at least more tolerable.

What development IS in there just makes Thor look like an idiot (why the hell didn't he use that OP lightning shit in all of the situations he's been in so far? How can somebody just forget they're the God of Thunder?).

The blandly colored planet of Guardians of the Galaxy rejects led by Goldblum stuck in Ian Malcolm's laughing mode nearly put me to sleep. (more like Bore: Ragnarök)

And I usually don't care about swearing, but all the F and S drops in this were completely unnecessary and out of character for about anyone who said them.

It's all just terribly confused about what it's trying to be and it winds up being a total mess tonally and plotwise.

I have no specific memory of it, but next to the 15+ shits and the Devil's Anus, why not? The one shit that did work was Goldblum's, he lost his sugary, crowd-pleasing cool for a second, it made sense.

If you think about, almost all the material from the middle of the film could be eliminated. Which is funny because that is portion most people like the most. But almost none of it seems to have anything to do with the main story. I don't really see any reason for Hulk to be in this.

Karol

Oh yeah, he was in this. I already almost forgot he turned back into Banner for a while. I guess they wanted to remind us he still exists? Oh, and so we could see him fighting Fenrir... for 5 or so seconds.

30 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And yet, the critics were floored. Do they get money from Disney?

A 74 on Metacritic and a 7.5 average on RT is not what I would call floored, although they're higher than my rating would be. The consensus text on RT is preposterous, though.