What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Yes, before he was in charge of DC movies, of course. Say, aren't you the bloke that didn't understand the correlation between the two? 

11 hours ago, TGP said:

I thought Alex recognized from Garland's last effort that he's all icing and no cake, but he liked it?  

It was okay, nothing outstanding. At least it was better than Arrival, IMO.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, KK said:

I never compared the two films to each other. They're nothing alike. And yet Annihilation tries to draw from both. And it only does so in a superficial sense.

That's a relief, because one of them is a competently made film, with some thoughtful elements, and the other is A FREAKIN' MASTERPIECE FROM OF THE GREATEST DIRECTORS EVER TO LOOK DOWN A CAMERA LENS! (*)

* hint; it's not Villeneuve.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, before he was in charge of DC movies, of course. Say, aren't you the bloke that didn't understand the correlation between the two? 

Watchmen and Sucker Punch were both boring. Dawn of the Dead was mildly okay.

Lady Bird...because it was on my list of Oscar noms to see. I guess it was a bit better than 3 Billboards. I think Shape of Water will win the Oscar

Black Panther. I don't get the rave critical reviews and the money it's making. It seemed like a mediocre CGI fest in the vein of John Carter or Jupiter  Ascending .The lead actor had no charisma and the plot was boring.

23 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Black Panther. I don't get the rave critical reviews and the money it's making. It seemed like a mediocre CGI fest in the vein of John Carter or Jupiter  Ascending .The lead actor had no charisma and the plot was boring.

Yeah but everyone in the movie is black, so praising it is compulsory.

13 hours ago, KK said:

I never compared the two films to each other. They're nothing alike. 

Of course, KK. I stand corrected. Apologies, etc.

On 27/02/2018 at 12:52 PM, Alexcremers said:

I have a feeling neither of those movies appeal to Selina and Drax, Richard. Save for Tess maybe, because that isn't really a good movie.

What on God's green earth you twittering on about now, Alex?

TESS is a brilliant film, directed, and played sensitively, and photographed beautifully, by...oh, you know full well who photographed it.

Its a good telling of probably the novel that features the first true heroine.

As a Hardy adaptation, its up there with FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD, and JUDE.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

That's a relief, because one of them is a competently made film, with some thoughtful elements, and the other is A FREAKIN' MASTERPIECE FROM OF THE GREATEST DIRECTORS EVER TO LOOK DOWN A CAMERA LENS! (*)

* hint; it's not Villeneuve.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Of course, KK. I stand corrected. Apologies, etc.

No worries Richard! And yes, we are in agreement!

7 hours ago, Richard said:

TESS is a brilliant film, directed, and played sensitively, and photographed beautifully, by...oh, you know full well who photographed it.

It also has a gorgeous score by Philippe Sarde.

On 2/25/2018 at 12:45 PM, Holko said:

Thor: Ragnarök

Wow. That was kind of bad?

Someone, somewhere decided that instead of characters, motivations and plot, we'll just have 9 billion jokes in the movie which is about a whole planet we knew for multiple movies, and kind of a memorable location, being annihilated. And at least 75% of them got no reaction out of me, not even a cringe or a "That was horrible!".

The worst is turning Thor into another cookie cutter joke machine that we already have about 5 of in this universe completely out of nowhere. Wasn't he the "serious" one so far, who didn't get any of the jokes unless they were about beer or killing people? If it was incorporated as a bit of character development, like he makes a few one liners, then suddenly realises "Oh my Odin, I've spent too much time with those idiots, I'm turning into one of them!", it could have been funnier or at least more tolerable.

What development IS in there just makes Thor look like an idiot (why the hell didn't he use that OP lightning shit in all of the situations he's been in so far? How can somebody just forget they're the God of Thunder?).

The blandly colored planet of Guardians of the Galaxy rejects led by Goldblum stuck in Ian Malcolm's laughing mode nearly put me to sleep. (more like Bore: Ragnarök)

And I usually don't care about swearing, but all the F and S drops in this were completely unnecessary and out of character for about anyone who said them.

It's all just terribly confused about what it's trying to be and it winds up being a total mess tonally and plotwise.

Cate Blanchett was scorchingly hot in that movie. That alone was worth the price of admission.

4 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Annihilation - Still processing it, but it was fantastic. The last thirty minutes were basically an exercise in existential fear. - 8.5 / 10

Quick, delete this before Alex sees it!

Wonder 

I'd read the book a while back but had forgotten how great the story was. A great, optimistic film with a lot of heart. It should particularly hit home with parents, kids, teachers, etc. The score (by a composer I'd never heard of) was also very nice, with a very simple but catchy main theme. 

11 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Annihilation - Still processing it, but it was fantastic. The last thirty minutes were basically an exercise in existential fear. - 8.5 / 10

I knew it!

I told you so, guys!

7 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Hey, I understood the film just fine. It's not that "pretentious". 

Pretension is hardly its problem. Much of it just wavers between dumb and unremarkable.

I will agree that the last half hour had some good stuff.

Approaching The Unknown (2016)

MV5BMTEzMDU3NjQyNTReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDY2

Kind of a prequel to The Martian (2015). Film focuses solely on the journey itself. If you feel you need to see every Mars movie ever made, then go ahead, watch it.  5/10

approaching-the-unknown-2016-mark-strong

The Shape of Water. Not necessarily a great film but it's certainly very well made. Guillermo del Toro's weakest spot as a filmmaker was always somewhat cursory and fragmented storytelling. His films often introduce interesting ideas but don't really explore them much in his narratives or even abandon the entire subplots entirely. And while this film also suffers from that a bit as well, it's also one of those where cinematography, special/visual effects, editing and music come together so gracefully that I'm willing to forgive most things. It might not be director's best film but certainly one of the better executed ones.

Karol

The film is already rated R! You might as well.

Seriously though, I meant that he introduced all those characters and their frustrations. But it mostly goes nowhere.

Karol

It's all very cute. And as i said, the way he portrays the delusion of outsiders also tends to be on the twee side, like he wants to make sure the peanut gallery got it, too. It wasn't offensive or anything, but having the boorish waiter dissing gays and coloured people in one scene...i mean, jeez...has this stuff to be so obvious? And Michael Shannon plays the movie's Aunt Sally for all us enlightened folks to jeer at. It's a bit like one of those old tv shows where they only had 45 minutes and resorted to shorthands like this. Fairy tale or not, the movie would have been better if it didn't play this stuff so straight.

I would categorize it rather as patronizing, though Del Toro is no director i associated with such problems. It's plagued by a broadness that may be the exact reason why it won the Oscar over movies i found much more interesting that weren't even nominated (Wind River, for example).

Spooky, I just said I liked Wind River more than the oscar nominated movies last night in the Oscar thread!

Yea I mentioned others as well

18 hours ago, Jay said:

For me

1 Three Billlboards

2 Shape of Water

3 Get Out

4 Lady Bird

5 Darkest Hour

6 The Post

7 Dunkirk

Didn't see Phantom Thread or Call Me By Your Name

Though I liked The Big Sick, Baby Driver, and War For The Planet of the Apes, and Wind River more than most all of those...

Haven't seen Detroit yet

7 minutes ago, publicist said:

I would categorize it rather as patronizing, though Del Toro is no director i associated with such problems. It's plagued by a broadness that may be the exact reason why it won the Oscar over movies i found much more interesting that weren't even nominated (Wind River, for example).

I didn't even know it won. Bit strange.

Karol

It caters perfectly to today's populist sentiments. And while I agree with everything that's been said above, the world-building, acting and general fine craft makes it something you can't entirely dismiss. It's a fine film, even if it isn't his best.

The Oscar should have gone to Phantom Thread, even though there was no chance of that happening. I would have been fine with Three Billboards too.

56 minutes ago, publicist said:

It was not the only one (Detroit and some others felt more deserving).

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Though I liked The Big Sick, Baby Driver, and War For The Planet of the Apes, and Wind River more than most all of those...

I haven't seen many of the eligible films, but a few that I have and liked better than at least one of the nominees are Lady MacbethPersonal Shopper and Raw. There's also The Levelling which was released in the US last year but mustn't have met the eligibility criteria since it isn't on the list.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

It was not the only one (Detroit and some others felt more deserving).

The more I think about Three Billboards, the more the story doesn't make sense nor feel authentically American. Martin McDonagh doesn't understand American law enforcement because two main characters would've been charged with felonies for what they do in the film. McDormand's character, in particular, vandalizes the police department, knees two teenagers in the crotch (assault) and drills a hole in a dentist's thumb. If it were real-life, she would be sitting in a county jail halfway through the film. (And ditto for Rockwell.) That kind of convenient plotting just nags me.

But the acting was phenomenal, and I'm glad McDormand got an Oscar. I just wish the script was better laid out.

16 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I haven't seen many of the eligible films, but a few that I have and liked better than at least one of the nominees are Lady MacbethPersonal Shopper and Raw. There's also The Levelling which was released in the US last year but mustn't have met the eligibility criteria since it isn't on the list.

Oooh thanks for reminding me about Personal Shopper, keep meaning to watch that one

Annihilation.  Another movie that asks you to interpret the ending as you see fit. There might be more logic if you see it multiple times I dunno