What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently watched The Shape of Water. It’s a beautifully made film, but I wasn’t really convinced by the story.

A Wrinkle in Time - Overall found it to be a mix bag. Visually it was a gorgeous treat, but as an adaptation, I was slightly disappointed. I guess the biggest issue has to do with how hard it is to adapt the novel. You can go so many places with it. The dialogue was clumsy at points as well. Storm Reid and the rest of the actors were great however. - 6 / 10

Red Sparrow - A decent spy thriller that surprisingly is quite hard R, and violent. Lawrence is very good, and I love Newton Howard's overture at the beginning. My biggest complaint however is that I didn't buy the romance between her and Edgerton. It seemed fake, even if that appeared to be the intent. There was some bloody imagery too, so I suspect those with weak stomachs may not enjoy it as much. - 7 / 10

Mom And Dad - what better movie to see on Mother's Day than one in which a mysterious TV signal causes parents to turn murderously on their own offspring? :lol:

This deliciously dark suburban satire proves to be a rare half-decent contemporary project for Nic Cage. 

The Last Jedi

Absolutely loved it. But what's unfathomable is that this has been released in theaters 3 months ago. Released on home digital yesterday. Scored by an 85-year old John WIlliams. I finished my third viewing 10 minutes ago. And WHICHEVER musical highlight or whole cue I latched onto or jumps into my brain, literally ANY of them, is accessible RIGHT NOW without ANY sound effects, in not great but OK quality, from an OFFICIAL SOURCE! These are amazingly unbelievable times we live in, and now I won't be able to sleep because I'll just want to jump at the material, edit, listen, listen, edit, then listen, listen, listen...

Tomb Raider. 

Its entirely passable. The reviews are a little harsh on it. You’ll probably get more enjoyment out of it if your a fanboy like me but it I don’t think it’s terrible. It isn’t brilliant either though. 

It’ll probably find a life as a nice lazy Sunday afternoon movie on Netflix or something. 

A sequel could definitely take things on a bit .

Justice League

I saw it several times, but I still enjoy it. You can tell what scenes Joss Whedon added or partially reshot, but I thought tonally they fit with what Snyder originally shot. The brisk pacing works since there's not much character exposition (nor is much needed), and aside from a terrible villain and ordinary plotting, it's disposable fun. Nothing more, nothing less... about on the level of the horribly overrated Thor: Ragnarok.

And the only time I noticed Cavill's CGI mouth was the opening scene.

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Tomb Raider. 

Its entirely passable. The reviews are a little harsh on it. You’ll probably get more enjoyment out of it if your a fanboy like me but it I don’t think it’s terrible. It isn’t brilliant either though. 

It’ll probably find a life as a nice lazy Sunday afternoon movie on Netflix or something. 

A sequel could definitely take things on a bit .

How was Tom Junkieberg's score? 

Tomb Raider - halfway-decent videogame adaptation shocker! 

Certainly considerably better than the Jolie flicks ... a pretty enjoyable action-adventure that thankfully doesn't go TOO far down the 'gritty 'n' dark' path that I found off-putting in the reboot game that this is based on.    

Image result for natalie portman gif

-sighs dreamily-

I'm so happy to finally have a movie featuring her I actually like. Now I can finally justify my reoccuring infatuati-

wait, nevermind. 

Uh, I didn't say anything.

Moving on, uh..

So, uh...

How was that new Star Wars movie, guys? I heard Buzz Buzzard's in it!

3 hours ago, Matt C said:

You haven't seen her second rap video. Worth it for the prequel references.

So... I don't get it. Has she made her peace with the prequels now? She seemed to be ambivalent and dismissive toward them for a while.

Godzilla

This was the new anime movie on Netflix. It wasn't bad. The animation was beautiful. Godzilla himself was a gargantuan terror, and the surprise at the end has provoked guffaws from hardcore fans for good reason. I won't spoil it. My only issue is I wish there was an English dub because instead of appreciating all this amazing animation, I need to read subtitles to understand anything? Gimme a break. Foreign language purists be damned on that one.

9 hours ago, Richard said:

The Prequels didn't do her bank balance, any harm, did they. Security for your child, eh. Think on that, next time you disrespect AOTC.

The Phantom Menace almost ruined her career because of how awful it was. So yes, she has every right to resent her decision to star in it. She was an unknown at the time, doubt her bank balance was that large. 

18 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

So... I don't get it. Has she made her peace with the prequels now? She seemed to be ambivalent and dismissive toward them for a while.

Obviously it's a comedy bit that she didn't even write so who knows how she really feels about them these days. But seems like she's at least cool enough to play along.

19 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Phantom Menace almost ruined her career because of how awful it was. So yes, she has every right to resent her decision to star in it. She was an unknown at the time, doubt her bank balance was that large. 

Unknown at the time?

Prior to The Phantom Menace, she had already been in Léon: The Professional, Heat, Beautiful Girls, Everyone Says I Love You, and Mars Attacks!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Unknown at the time?

Prior to The Phantom Menace, she had already been in Léon: The Professional, Heat, Beautiful Girls, Everyone Says I Love You, and Mars Attacks!

I think he just meant she wasn't a household name.

OK... so Ready Player One. It wasn't great or anything but I was sort of enjoying myself for the most part. The first half is a bit so-so and flat... and, yeah, full of clunky heavy exposition. No point of expecting great characterisation or imaginative plots as they are all on the video game level. But then, about a third way into it I realised this is sort of the point. Once it gets going, the film delivers in its non-demanding and trashy way. And, quite frankly, this is all it's aiming for so who am I to point out how cheesy and redundant this whole experience feels. So yeah... I didn't hate it!

But since I am a grumpy old man, I need to point out one big negative. This whole thing is really below Spielberg. It really is. A wannabe Spielberg could (and should) have made this. If you switch your brain off and forget everything you know about the artistry of cinema...it is possible to enjoy this. ;)

Karol

51 minutes ago, crocodile said:

But since I am a grumpy old man, I need to point out one big negative. This whole thing is really below Spielberg. It really is. A wannabe Spielberg could (and should) have made this. If you switch your brain off and forget everything you know about the artistry of cinema...it is possible to enjoy this. ;)

Karol

What's he supppsed to do, keep making boring Oscar bait like The Post?

Game Night

It was an amusing little film, with a little too many comic twists that defy belief. Michael C. Hall is wasted as the villain, while Rachel McAdams and Jason Bateman work off each other well. The supporting cast was good, especially Jesse Plemons and Billy Magnussen as the Harvard-educated-but-dumb-as-a-rock friend. It's still a breezy little movie that packs in a lot for a black comedy.

It'll probably still work fine as a rental, otherwise stick with a matinee.

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Roland Emmerich is a (soulless) Spielberg caricature, a Spielberg on steroids. Should he have made it? 

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Or J.J. Abrams. Or even Zemeckis himself.

Karol

It is a very Zemeckisy film come to think of it, down to the motion capture.  Spielberg should have directed Interstellar instead.

Isle Of Dogs

A great film throughout, but it’s fairly standard fare for Anderson. Animation is insanely good, and I love how he’s able to stage his typical frame depth and panning shots in this style; but it was all done before in Fantastic Mr. Fox. 

13 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Isle Of Dogs

A great film throughout, but it’s fairly standard fare for Anderson. Animation is insanely good, and I love how he’s able to stage his typical frame depth and panning shots in this style; but it was all done before in Fantastic Mr. Fox. 

How is Desplat?

Karol

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

How is Desplat?

Karol

What you would come to expect from his previous collaborations with Anderson. It’s all very good, but it just doesn’t hit the mark of say Grand Budapest or Fantastic Mr. Fox in its scale. Perhaps that’s a good thing. I prefer early Anderson stories that were more subtle and less grandiose. This fits in line with that.