What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/1/2018 at 2:52 AM, Chen G. said:

Well, if - according to this school of thought - a director intended to produce crap, and made a movie that is consistently crap - does that make it good?

Is Kung Pow considered a good movie?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Chen's vision of what makes a film good seems to be a tad...limited.

And soon we will learn that the characters have to be extremely likeable too!

13 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

War Horse is a far greater film than that french or belgian cartoon

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It is really bad, I agree, but maybe we should leave the judging to kids below the age of 8?

I'm all about the subtle long con. Hate me now, respect me later! 

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He made the same statement in 1993, Alex.

"The dollars from Jurassic Park enabled me to do Schindler's List."

That makes no sense. SL came before JP.

Jurassic Park was filmed in August-September, 1992 and was released to theaters in June, 1993.

Schindler's List was filmed in March-April, 1993 and was released to theaters in December, 1993

I was thinking the reverse i am mistaken but Spielberg has got to quit acting as if he can't finance a movie as cheap as SL or Lincoln. He become stereotypical.

19 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I was thinking the reverse i am mistaken but Spielberg has got to quit acting as if he can't finance a movie as cheap as SL or Lincoln. He become stereotypical.

I didn't know Spielberg had acted in anything since The Blues Brothers. 

Prince of Foxes

Watched this with Newman's isolated score with stereo headphones. For an early stereophonic score, it still sounds phenomenal with an impressive dynamic range, vibrancy, and clarity for 1949. It really allows Newman to really tell the story musically, especially the rapturous love theme.

14 hours ago, Woj said:

I didn't know Spielberg had acted in anything since The Blues Brothers. 

Not exactly "acting", but he appeared in GREMLINS, and (along with Lucas) in TOD.

14 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Reading is Fundemental.

Slough is pretty basic, too.

On 4/2/2018 at 10:59 AM, Hawmy said:

Is Kung Pow considered a good movie?

Yes. 

On 4/2/2018 at 4:43 PM, JoeinAR said:

Spielberg has said that Lincoln was very close to being an HBO film, and that it took him a long time find someone to finance its $50 million budget. He’s not a name that instantly sells tickets anymore. 

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Spielberg has said that Lincoln was very close to being an HBO film, and that it took him a long time find someone to finance its $50 million budget. He’s not a name that instantly sells tickets anymore. 

Exactly!

But now that he has a hit on his hands, Hollywood will grant him the budget for Martin Van Buren, The Forgotten President.

Everyone knows that story by know. It was in a time of economical hardship and after an expensive failure like 'Tintin'. 'Lincoln' brought in massive BO (for what it was) and Spielberg was rehabilitated. Besides, in the movie business things often change in an instant, anyway. So with much more risky movies financed every year i just don't see how Spielberg was ever in imminent danger of being turned down permanently.

So why did you say "nonsense" when I said Spielberg had a hard time to get Lincoln funded? 

Spielberg and Lucas warned that less and less movies will be made (most of them are a risk now) and that only "the sure things"  will be shown in theatres.  'Other' movies will go straight to HBO, Netflix, et cetera. This is already becoming a reality. Another possibility could be that the ticket price for Martin Van Buren, The forgotten President will cost you 6 Euro while Bulk, Son Of Hulk and Thor is going to cost you 12 Euro.

Spielberg should rethink his stance on that because, If he and Lucas are right, then in the future only big summer spectacles will be eligible for an Oscar.

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

So why did you say "nonsense" when I said Spielberg had a hard time to get Lincoln funded? 

I doubt that you said that verbatim, also i find Spielberg interviews are not exactly a reliable source for anything as he is a storyteller, not a witness on a stand. I say that Spielberg is one of the last people who should complain that he cannot make what he wants, or - beware - that he is forced to do things because of commercial pressure. If movies like 'Isle of Dogs', 'Florida Project', 'Three Billboards' or 'Phantom Thread' can get made regularly, i mean...

On 4/3/2018 at 6:34 PM, Koray Savas said:

Yes. 

He's a tight ass. He's a billionaire almost 4 times over.

6 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

He's a tight ass. He's a billionaire almost 4 times over.

Agreed, but I guess that’s just the climate of the media industries these days. If it isn’t big budget it’s indie. No more middle ground. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

anti-Semite!

Im am anti rich tight bastards who act poor. Plus he wears ascots now.

Whatever you big ole queen! 

Emily Blunt deserves and Oscar nomination for A Quiet Place. Her performance is so much better than last years winner Frances Mcd..

He performance is terrific Jerry. Her characfer goes through one hell of an arc.

actually most of the scares are not jump scares

On 4.4.2018 at 10:15 AM, Alexcremers said:

Spielberg and Lucas warned that less and less movies will be made (most of them are a risk now) and that only "the sure things"  will be shown in theatres.  'Other' movies will go straight to HBO, Netflix, et cetera. This is already becoming a reality. Another possibility could be that the ticket price for Martin Van Buren, The forgotten President will cost you 6 Euro while Bulk, Son Of Hulk and Thor is going to cost you 12 Euro.

I hate Netflix for killing the cinema! I mean, what the fuck?! The Irishman is not gonna run at the cinemas!

A-Quiet-Place-review-featured.jpg

A Quiet Place

A surprisingly fun thrill ride. Krasinski strikes a fine genre-blending balance between hearty post-dystopian family drama and commercial horror picture. It helps that the film has a great cast to elevate what otherwise might come across as a shallow premise-driven film. As always, Blunt is a marvel, and the children are quite good too. The set-pieces (including the center-piece in the bathtub) are all directed with a deft hand, and Krasinski clearly uses the silence to milk the tension for all its worth. Curious to see what he does next.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I hate Netflix for killing the cinema! I mean, what the fuck?! The Irishman is not gonna run at the cinemas!

It isn't Netflix that decides that movies aren't 'good enough' for a theatre release. The Irishman is a Netflix production because Paramount didn't want to give Martin Scorsese the production budget he needed to make the movie (which at the time was estimated around a 100 million dollars). Netflix has more faith in Scorsese than the studios. 

Wondering what the chances are of seeing A Quiet Place with an audience who actually get that BEING quiet is necessary to appreciate it properly, as opposed to 'One ticket for A Quiet Place and the largest-sized bucket/tray/bag of popcorn/nachos/individually-wrapped sweets that you've got, thanks'.      

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Wondering what the chances are of seeing A Quiet Place with an audience who actually get that BEING quiet is necessary to appreciate it properly, as opposed to 'One ticket for A Quiet Place and the largest-sized bucket/tray/bag of popcorn/nachos/individually-wrapped sweets that you've got, thanks'.      

I actually thought about this when I was in the mood to go see it yesterday and didn’t go. Though ArcLight doesn’t use paper bags for that very reason. Maybe I should chance it?