What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

A Quiet Place - A very intense almost dialogue free horror film, that relies more on the characters constant state of fear, and strong performances to carry it, along with Krasinki's solid direction. It's early, but I predict this'll end up on my top ten of the year. I liked it a lot. - 9 / 10

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big Sick

It has all the positives and negatives that come with an Apatow production. Grounded comedy woven into a heartfelt romantic narrative that’s overlong and underdeveloped. Odd how formulaic it is considering it’s based on Kumail Nanjiani’s actual life. 

Ready Player One. Has its moments and ideas, though they're mostly in the first half or so and the whole thing gets lost in exaggerated geekiness (even for this sort of geek fest) and bumpy plotting. Nice score (I don't really see how a Williams score would have fit into this). And Spielberg sure knows how to do 3D. Also, Mark Rylance was wonderful. Overall though, Spielberg's recent "younger" films (although, can a film that celebrates 70s/80s geek culture really be aimed at an excessively young audience?) seem to be too childish in their characters, plotting and humour; much unlike his older classics that were "adult" films for youngish viewers.

The musical easter eggs (King Kong and BTTF stood out to me) were among my favourites. And there was a moment that sounded deceptively like 1941 to my ears? (Apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere, I wasn't especially interested in the film and didn't read the respective threads)

Truth or Dare

This is so bad, it makes your typical Syfy DTV dreck look good. The concept is intriguing, but the execution is awful. Had the producers and director gone for a Final Destination-style approach (with the deaths in their gory glory) and more tongue-in-cheek, it might've been worthwhile. The cast does nothing to elevate the material, they're all pretty fodder for the illogical "truth or dare" curse.

Blumhouse needs to be more selective about the scripts they pick. For every potential hit like Get Out, there's 4-5 worthless genre shits like Truth or Dare.

27 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Truth or Dare

This is so bad, it makes your typical Syfy DTV dreck look good. The concept is intriguing, but the execution is awful. Had the producers and director gone for a Final Destination-style approach (with the deaths in their gory glory) and more tongue-in-cheek, it might've been worthwhile. The cast does nothing to elevate the material, they're all pretty fodder for the illogical "truth or dare" curse.

Blumhouse needs to be more selective about the scripts they pick. For every potential hit like Get Out, there's 4-5 worthless genre shits like Truth or Dare.

For a moment there I thought you meant madonna's Truth or Dare which I love!:)

23 hours ago, Matt C said:

Truth or Dare

Sounds like someone likes Red Letter Media ;)

Avengers: Infinity War - Still processing this, but wow just wow. It's rare to see a superhero film get me so emotional. Thanos was also a fantastic villain. I'd say more, but I think people should just see the film. I enjoyed it a lot. - 8.5 / 10

3 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's rare to see a superhero film get me so emotional. 

I'm not surprised. I've have heard it feels like a Star Wars movie and that the music is Williams-esque. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm not surprised. I've have heard it feels like a Star Wars movie and that the music is Williams-esque. 

I wouldn't say Williams-esque but certainly pushing it in that genre's direction, yeah. The first one was more modern action thriller in comparison.

Karol

I'm generally not interested in these movies, but for some reason I was beginning to quite fancy this one. But then Drax revealed the big spoiler to a few of us elsewhere, so now I'll not bother.

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm generally not interested in these movies, but for some reason I was beginning to quite fancy this one. But then Drax revealed the big spoiler to a few of us elsewhere, so now I'll not bother.

If you treat them as a television series almost (one film leading into another) they're not that bad. Bergman or Kubrick these ain't but still better than most blockbusters. More fun anyway. :)

Karol

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Batman's not in Infinity War.

36 minutes ago, John said:

Attack of the Clones will always be the worst sequel/prequel.

There should be fan edit combining the three worst prequels/sequels ever....The Desolation of the Crystal Clones

Oi! You leave the Desolation of Smaug out of this!

It is not in the same ballpark as either of those two films.

Its not even in the same galaxy!:lol:

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

There should be fan edit combining the three worst prequels/sequels ever....The Desolation of the Crystal Clones

The Last Desolation of the Crystal Clones. 

23 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

:lol::lol::lol: This demands to thread of its own!

Indeed. From a film studies point of view, its an utterly fascinating subject.

Its a masterclass at what not to do with big budget, serialized films.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

Its a masterclass at what not to do with big budget, serialized films.

The scene where Bilbo kills the baby spider in DOS reminded me of when Anakin killed those sand people. 

DOS and AOTC are tone poems to each other.

They do share some uncanny similarities, plot-wise. Gandalf, the character which inspired that of Ben Kenobi, goes to investigate a mystery; a character (I would say Thorin moreso than Bilbo) starts descending into darkness, etc...

But they're really incidental more than anything.

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

The scene where Bilbo kills the baby spider in DOS reminded me of when Anakin killed those sand people. 

Was that even a baby spider? To this day, I still have no clue what that thing was.

It has too many legs to be a spider. Whatever it was, it was effective; and that's what matters.

Its much better than the original idea (which is the more "faithful" to the book) where Bilbo turns into a one-man army killing Spiders all over the place. I much prefer that sequence highlighting the Dwarves. I love how Dwalin just punches a spider in the face!

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

They do share some uncanny similarities, plot-wise. Gandalf, the character which inspired that of Ben Kenobi, goes to investigate a mystery; a character (I would say Thorin moreso than Bilbo) starts descending into darkness, etc...

But they're really incidental more than anything.

I was kidding, but I actually do think that the PT and Hobbit have quite a few similarities, mainly in their weaknesses.

I'm not saying they're equally weak (The Hobbit as a whole is undoubtedly better than most of the PT), but I do think both in terms of the films themselves, and in the production, the two trilogies are problematic in similar ways.

I can see where you're coming from with that argument, but I don't think I agree. I would say the similarities are mostly in the external, superficial aspects of the story and storytelling. The essence behind both stories and both storytellers is very, very different.

On the one hand is an original story; on the other - an adapted one.

On the one hand is a trilogy that was made up as its writer went along; on the other, one that was all produced simultaneously.

On the one hand is a visionary writer/director who made an entire previous trilogy completely his own; on the other, an overrated writer/director who wrote and directed exactly one good film; and didn't write nor direct two of the entries in the trilogy he was following up.

Star Wars is also a much more traditional narrative, compared to The Hobbit trilogy which has fifteen (!) protagonists, and generally many, many more characters in the periphery, as well. Screentime is very different, as well; the levels of violence, too. They're really not all that similar.

The issue with The Hobbit is the short pre-production period; that always bodes ill in terms of production value, and in this case it also meant that the scripts weren't quite there in some respects and this cascaded into production and post-production, where the film's (especially the first one) would have benefited from another edit.

With Star Wars, the issues stem more from George Lucas' ineptitude as a filmmaker. Whether its with plotting, dialogue, hesistation to go all out with the narrative (see the cut when Anakin starts killing the sand people), uninspired camerawork, flat lighting, etc...