What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

...compared to The Hobbit trilogy which has fifteen (!) protagonists...

I’m sure there must be at least 7 other people in the world who think that as well.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it was a bit of a hyperbole in order to make a point. But its still a very big ensemble.

I hold that its, first and foremost, the story of the Dwarves and not Bilbo - and that its better off that way - although, granted, its not the story of every individual Dwarf out of the thirteen; and thankfully so. But you do have main cast of about six Dwarves, plus Gandalf and Bilbo. That's a lot.

That's another important difference between this and most films of this type: its not another Hero's Journey. Its about reclaiming one's place in the world, settling old grievences and taking vengenance. Those aren't your usual character motivations in contemporary blockbuster cinema.

44 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Lol revenge is one of the most common character motivations in the movies actually.

Yeah, but often its only a jumping point into commenting on the wrongfullness of vengenance. But the morals of the Dwarves wanting to kill Smaug or Thorin wanting to kill Azog are never questioned, which is refreshing. In fact, the narrative gives him every opportunity and every justification to do so.

The Avengers: Infinity War

It's no Winter Soldier, but thankfully it's no Captain America: Civil War either. 

That the plot and characters are paired down to the most basic level can be excused by the fact that there are (apparently) 76 characters in this film.

There is only one Thanos though, and he's really the only character who resonates here. They should have named the film after him. Brolin brings surprising depth so such a single-minded character.

42 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Avengers: Infinity War

It's no Winter Soldier, but thankfully it's no Captain America: Civil War either. 

That the plot and characters are paired down to the most basic level can be excused by the fact that there are (apparently) 76 characters in this film.

There is only one Thanos though, and he's really the only character who resonates here. They should have named the film after him. Brolin brings surprising depth so such a single-minded character.

So is it worth the hype, or should I wait to watch this one at home like I have every other Marvel movie since Iron Man 3?

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It will look bigger in the cinema.

But with a softer image, less colorful and poor contrast.

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No, Thanos is the star in this. The rest are all supporting characters.

NO Iron Man is the star.  

He moved awkwardly. He did not intergrate with the screen. But no matter he was a magnificent prescence. He was .....almost.... a nice guy. A benevolent nazi.

6 hours ago, Sharky said:

Oh God, not Film Cret(in) Hulk.

Give that man an editor and a FilmStruck subscription.

I take it your not a fan?  His writings can occasionally be a bit overly earnest and treacly but I always enjoy hearing his take.  

• 2 weeks later...

Deadpool 2

I find Deadpool a one-note joke -- he's a wisecracking regenerating pansexual mercenary. The sequel is more of the same, with David Leitch bringing some John Wick pizazz to the action sequences (like an opening montage hilariously set to Dolly Parton's "9 to 5"). Zazie Beetz is wasted as Domino, she's mainly there to look hot and kick ass. One highly touted cameo pops up as a throwaway joke. Overall, it's disposable summer fun.

I will say that the mid-credits sequence had me in stitches. Absolutely genius.

Wow it's been a long long time since I've watched a good movie.

With beautiful images, with music, emotions... ok, you will say, that's it's a little bit of my story that it's been telled here. But wow, I've been moved by this movie.

They made an english version too (anyway all the characters speaks their own language in this movie, yes there's true english too)

A great blink of an eye on 750 years of History.

From the director of The Red Violin.

Hochelaga, Land of Souls (François Girard, 2017)

The Mount-Royal today (as you will see it in the movie, but differently, of course!)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « mont-royal »

Isle of Dogs

It's good, like most modern Anderson movies I have a good time but at the same time I never feel like I'm watching a really good movie. It's technically excellently made, but the script and the characters don't end up connecting with me as much as I feel they should or it was intended. The middle section is really good but both the first and last acts had me with little interest.

Loved the score and the cast. Bryan Cranston as the main dog is both outstanding and an inspired choice.

With all this elements on its favour it should be a great movie but as it is, it's okay.

RBG - Great documentary about an interesting indiviual who fought for women's rights, and then humans right. Learned a lot about Ginsburg, more then I expected to. - 8 / 10