What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

I'm assuming it's a double standard that is happening here. As clearly it's okay to employ a famous older veteran in there, as people say they add "gravitas".

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not as a box office draw, no. But they added certainly, I don't know, credibility?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Chen G.!

EDIT 2: Me and Chen G. agreeing on something? That's a first!

Karol

Alex, you have a very peculiar way of assuming how young people, especially single-digit kiddos, think.

"Mommy, why is the guy from Cheers and A Scanner Darkly playing a smuggler in a Star Wars movie? My immersion is ruined!"

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Alex, you have a very peculiar way of assuming how young people, especially single-digit kiddos, think.

"Mommy ...

What 14-year-old talks like that? Or are you saying Star Wars is for toddlers? If so, then you're right, toddlers don't care if it's Ariana Grande or Daisy Ridley.

I for one was happy it was Luke Skywalker and not Burt Reynolds who played Luke Skywalker.

See what I did here?

16 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

No, hire them if you goal is to make a big star vehicle. 

Hey, Ocean's 8 was a decent summer flick. Ignore the ensemble billing, it's the Bullock/Blanchett/Hathaway show with everyone else playing a supporting role.

On 09/06/2018 at 9:45 AM, Quintus said:

I'm assuming it's a double standard that is happening here. As clearly it's okay to employ a famous older veteran in there, as people say they add "gravitas".

Although neither of these actors would "open" a movie, I would be more inclined to watch a STAR WARS film if it has Max Von Sydow or Benicio del Toro, on the bill, than if it doesn't.

On 09/06/2018 at 10:45 AM, Quintus said:

Yeah they did, because they were proven veterans. Neither actor was working anywhere near at their peak by that time though.

Agreed, Lee, but, ironically, both roles turned out to be their defining roles (actually, for Guinness, its a toss-up between Kenobi, and Smiley. I know what I'd rather watch :lol:).

44 minutes ago, Richard said:

Although neither of these actors would "open" a movie, I would be more inclined to watch a STAR WARS film if it has Max Von Sydow or Benicio del Toro, on the bill, than if it doesn't.

Since you're not a youngling like the others here, Richard, I'm pretty sure that you remember it was the movie itself  that was the biggest star. It wasn't actor driven or star driven.

Hereditary - Legit spooked me. Best part though, is that I got to watch it alone in the cinema. I can only imagine what it would have been like to have seen this with a crowd, shouting and screaming. Definitely not an audience friendly film. Colette was fantastic as well. - 8 / 10

As soon as you compared it to VVitch I immediately  became apprehensive. Witch is such an incredible waste of time & interest. Its among the worst "well received" films I have seen it years. Its biggest flaw was how boring it was.

I have heard from several people who know me well enough to tell me I would hate Hereditary. Im thinking redbox and save my $5.99.

The Witch is the best horror movie of the last few years. A slow burn with atmospherics in spades, with nary a jump scare in sight. From what I hear Hereditary, from the same studio, is similar. 

On the other end of the style scale is something like Conjuring, which also got rave reviews but I thought was middling at best. 

4 hours ago, Hurmm said:

The Witch is the best horror movie of the last few years. A slow burn with atmospherics in spades, with nary a jump scare in sight. From what I hear Hereditary, from the same studio, is similar. 

On the other end of the style scale is something like Conjuring, which also got rave reviews but I thought was middling at best. 

I agree.

The Conjuring started out quite promising actually (especially after the unnerving prologue vignette), but by the end it was just another strobe light horror.

The Incredibles 2 - Pretty fantastic, might even love it as just as much as the first. It's hilarious, especially the Jack-Jack bits, I enjoyed how unpredictable his powers were, and the action might just be the best I've seen in any superhero film this year. It's also amazing, how much the animation has improved / evolved in the fourteen years since the first. The movie looks so good. - 8.5

Also it's great to Giacchino back in 60's jazz mode again.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:30 PM, JoeinAR said:

As soon as you compared it to VVitch I immediately  became apprehensive. Witch is such an incredible waste of time & interest. Its among the worst "well received" films I have seen it years. Its biggest flaw was how boring it was.

I have heard from several people who know me well enough to tell me I would hate Hereditary. Im thinking redbox and save my $5.99.

I really liked The VVitch, even the ending, which everyone seems to hate. If you didn't like The VVitch, then I doubt you'll much care for Hereditary. It's got the same sort of "build-up to the horror and atmospheric vibe" to it, that I liked about that film. I also appreciate that A24 is funding these more non-traditional modern Horror films. 

There are people who say they were onboard with The Witch right up until its ending? That seems like a bit of a paradox. To my mind, the ending was absolutely vital.

Apparently, a lot of people seem to complain about it. I thought the ending was perfect, without it the movie would have just been another good effective version of The Crucible or something. The supernatural element was perfect, and made the film for me. 

1 minute ago, Margo Channing said:

Freidkin axed his score because it was too scary. What, really?

Knowing Schifrin, though, I wouldn't be surprised if the music was intense in an overbearing way.

My roommates saw it last week (the girl of the couple being into really bizarre stuff :blink:), and they thought it was a good, scary movie that felt like it was designed to be seen at least twice.