What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

20 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Also, I just fear that Avengers 4 will return to the lighter mould of Marvel and just undo this film's consequences all too easily, making the whole thing feel unearned

Agreed, though for the moment I'm willing to dispel such fears and enjoy the fact that Marvel did an ending that was properly (PG13) dark.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

But ultimately Thanos was the one driving the plot, the others mostly reacting to it.

The film should have been called Thanos: Infinity Wars, really.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The film should have been called Thanos: Infinity Wars, really.

I hear that often, but to me titles of films have always been part of the marketing more than a true statement of a film’s actual narrative. But I digress.

Chen will be wrong because that is what he does. Sure what Thanos did will be undone but there will be consequences and it wont be light fare.

I don't even like Infinity War very much, but I do get annoyed by the "but it's all going to be undone!" and "Marvel is being dishonest by acting like it won't be!"

The ending is very real for the characters who survived, and when it is undone they will still have lived through that.  That's what matters anyway.

220px-The_Manchurian_Candidate_poster.jp

Seriously behind-the-then times (2004) remake of John Frankenheimer's tense-yet-satirical piece of Cold War-anxiety. The one highlight is Meryl Streep's diabolic senator portrayal (taking over from as-chilly Angela Lansbury) and i almost wish she would have gotten a few spin-off's out of this.

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

220px-The_Manchurian_Candidate_poster.jp

Seriously behind-the-then times (2004) remake of John Frankenheimer's tense-yet-satirical piece of Cold War-anxiety. The one highlight is Meryl Streep's diabolic senator portrayal (taking over from as-chilly Angela Lansbury) and i almost wish she would have gotten a few spin-off's out of this.

It really was a bizarre choice to remake in a modern time setting given how specific the original was to the paranoia and suspicions of the height of the Cold War.

I'll give them that the change from communists to corporation was an inspired one, what they present as The Big ConspiracyTM was sadly an old hat, even in 2004.

From the same time period, The Constant Gardener was a much better "corporations are evil" thriller.  It's so much better executed in terms of style, characters, interesting plot turns, and overall believability.  Fiennes and Weisz were just so good in that.  And it's based on a novel from the master of Cold War paranoia no less!

Le Carré's exquisite world-weariness doesn't come through in that, but Fiennes and Weisz (and Bill Nighy!) save the rather flat script. From working part of my time in scientific/pharmaceutical fields i can say that you don't have to travel to Africa to unveil corporate wrongdoing and morally repugnant behaviour from all players involved. 

Black Panther

So this is what half the world went nuts over? I guess I'm happy for them.

I gotta give it to it, it's finally mostly not the Marvel formula (It still all looks mostly the same), and I did kinda like the culturebuilding aspect (except for the remaining barbaric things - he killed our leader? well then he's who must lead us now!).

The main actor's pretty good, and he's finally not another joke machine.

Martin Freeman forcing an American accent is disturbing. But at least he didn't go back to the CIA to bring the big bad white America to invade the great Black homeland like I expected it to end in the first hour, he just goes along with everything, it's thankfully bland.

Yeah, he had a few cool moments.

Overall it's above 'meh' level for me, but joins all the other Marvel movies in the "don't really plan on watching it ever again" category.

No idea, but Freeman's accent and general speech patterns are so recognizeable that this seemed really unnatural.

19 hours ago, Holko said:

Black Panther

So this is what half the world went nuts over?

Not me, I even stopped watching, because I didn't see anything that could mildly piqued my interest. I would even go as far as to say the direction was subpar.

@Drax

I put I Am the Pretty Little Thing That Lives in the House on. I lasted maybe 4 minutes before switching that insufferable shit off. And you got through the whole thing?? 

Ant-Man and the Wasp

One of the most markedly improved sequels I’ve seen in a while.  Breezy fun action comedy.  Funny jokes, sweet characters, and boy the action is so so much better this time.  The climactic Frisco car Chase is genuinely great.  A gentlemen’s B for this fine evening at the cinema.

Lot less dumb ant shit too.

If you don’t generally like MCU comedy, you will not enjoy this.  Don’t see it.

Ant-Man and The Wasp - Lots of fun. It's a good "breather" film between Infinity War and Avengers 4. I laughed a lot (Michael Pena in particular was a riot). Also I was surprised by how good of an antagonist Ghost was. The action was really solid too. - 8 / 10

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

@Drax

I put I Am the Pretty Little Thing That Lives in the House on. I lasted maybe 4 minutes before switching that insufferable shit off. And you got through the whole thing?? 

LOL!

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Ant-Man and the Wasp

One of the most markedly improved sequels I’ve seen in a while.  Breezy fun action comedy.  Funny jokes, sweet characters, and boy the action is so so much better this time.  The climactic Frisco car Chase is genuinely great.  A gentlemen’s B for this fine evening at the cinema.

Lot less dumb ant shit too.

If you don’t generally like MCU comedy, you will not enjoy this.  Don’t see it.

Anything to say on the score by that Christophe Beck fella? I didn't care for the theme for the last one (sounds like a slightly-arranged Mission Impossible riff), but I'm wondering if the Wasp theme is any interesting.

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

@Drax

Yep. I must have special endurance powers. Mind you, I did look at my phone quite a bit while it was on.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

Yep. I must have special endurance powers. Mind you, I did look at my phone quite a bit while it was on.

The opening narration was bone chillingly... cringy. But I tapped out when the girl speaking eventually came into frame and proceeded to smile directly at the camera, like the smug winner of Crufts or something. Eject! 

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

There's really no point in reviewing comedies, such as Ant Man and the Wasp: its the most subjective genre, by a mile.

Wrong.

10 hours ago, Chen G. said:

There's really no point in reviewing comedies, such as Ant Man and the Wasp: its the most subjective genre, by a mile.

Strange comment. Can you explain? 

I mean, literally any genre or movie elicits a subjective response. Comedy isn't somehow exempt from that basic fact. It seems to me that Chen just made a new rule or something. 

15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I mean, literally any genre or movie elicits a subjective response. Comedy isn't somehow exempt from that basic fact. It seems to me that Chen just made a new rule or something. 

Comedy and horror are more subjective than others. I can agree with that.

Karol

27 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Comedy and horror are more subjective than others. I can agree with that.

Karol

That doesn't make them unreviewable. Chen on the other hand doesn't review anything well.

49 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Absolutely. You can see when they work, but it's hard to explain why. Why is Monty Python funny?

That's probably perfectly explainable, just like something scary is explainable. Billions of people like Marvel flicks because it's a combination of action and humor. Marvel is not that subjective.

Blasphemer! 

Every episode should be watched in full, the segways add a lot to the creative absurdity.

A lot of Python's humor is derived from the cultural image of white Englishmen as very buttoned up, lordly, superior, stiff upper lip and all that.  Much British comedy over the years is about puncturing that image with silliness.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

A lot of Python's humor is derived from the cultural image of white Englishmen as very buttoned up, lordly, superior, stiff upper lip and all that.  Much British comedy over the years is about puncturing that image with silliness.

Thank you Captain Obvious.