What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I always make sure to watch the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol around that time of year.  It's my personal favorite adaptation of the story..  Great score, too.

Its a known fact that the Alistair Sim version is the best, but I also like the George C. Scott one.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Its a known fact that the Alistair Sim version is the best, but I also like the George C. Scott one.

I like the Gene Lockhart version too. Hell I like almost all of them. The Basil Rathbone is the weakest version.

3 minutes ago, Wojism said:

I like the version with Scrooge McDuck. 

All due respect to Michael Caine and the Muppets (it's a good movie), but that's definitely my favorite childrens' version.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

I know that's a popular opinion, but I've just never felt a connection to that one.  I also just love the production design in the 80s one.  They really made Shrewsbury feel like 19th century London (like I'd know, haha).

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again - As someone who despised the first Mamma Mia, I'm in shock, but I absolutely adored this. I think it helps that they decided to go all out on the "craziness" (the film is actually really funny), and a had better film director this time around. This was hugely entertaining, and I dug the musical numbers more, especially the Waterloo bit, which is my favorite Abba song. - 7.5 / 10

Saw Ant-Man and the Wasp for the first time! I thought it was slightly better than the first one, but obviously nothing mind-blowing. I wish Michael Peña's buddies had done more and that Goliath had Goliathed, but all the main cast were great, and all the action sequences were really creative and fun! Bit of a downer ending, but it just makes the time until March when Captain Marvel comes out all the more unbearable. Very solid movie though.

6 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again - As someone who despised the first Mamma Mia, I'm in shock, but I absolutely adored this. I think it helps that they decided to go all out on the "craziness" (the film is actually really funny), and a had better film director this time around. This was hugely entertaining, and I dug the musical numbers more, especially the Waterloo bit, which is my favorite Abba song. - 7.5 / 10

Odd that you adored the second one but despised the first one. Surely it's more of the same?!  Meryl Streep singing ABBA hits?

Streep isn't in it much of it. Her character is dead at the beginning of the film. I thought it was what the first film wanted to be, but failed at. The dance choreography, the humor, and even the singing all felt improved. Heck they manage to use Brosnan's bad singing voice better and more appropriate. My cinema experience was also great, sans for some kid next to me who seemed to be hitting my seat at points. I just really enjoyed the film, and found it to be a nice surprise. 

Won't You Be My Neighbor - Fantastic. Wonderful tribute to a great individual who always tried to have a positive outlook on life. I learned a lot more about Fred Rogers after seeing the film, and I got so emotional and teary-eyed throughout. Easily top five of the year material. - 10

I watched Ready Player One yesterday.

Fun and entertaining movie, great 80's and general pop-culture references!  Maybe a little too long, and I really got dizzy near the end.

I'm gratefull I'm old enough to have seen The Shinning before!

But my God, those camera moves... it was just enough before I had convulsions. 😵

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

I watched Ready Player One yesterday.

Fun and entertaining movie, great 80's and general pop-culture references!  Maybe a little too long, and I really got dizzy near the end.

I'm gratefull I'm old enough to have seen The Shinning before!

But my God, those camera moves... it was just enough before I had convulsions. 😵

Its great, right?

Ofcourse JWfan hated it!

Ready Player One

I kinda liked the first hour and a half, but ultimately on the whole I'd rather say I didn't like it too much. It's a weird mess that can't decide who it wants to pander to. Kids with the story? Teens/millenials with all the forced popculture references? Adults with R-rated references? Nobody with stupid exposition and cringy shit like "reality is real"? As much time as they spent on figuring out the second clue, suddenly the third one is just... solved... somehow.

So what this is is:

4b2.gif

While having lines like "It's fucking Chucky!" and a whole bloody Shining setpiece? I bet that wasn't on the poster."Bring the whole family for two hours of VR gaming fun, plus segments from the most terrifying movie of all time!"

I'm glad to see Spielberg managed to tone down the Tintinesque vomitinducing camera movements at least a little bit, only the car chase wanted to give me an epilepsy attack.

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

But the main character was SO BOOOOOOOOOOHHHH-RING! Why the heck did she fall for him!? She would have had more riveting sex humping a lamp!

I liked how boring he was.  He reminds me of myself.

A Quiet Place.

It wasn't too bad, but I was generally pretty disappointed with it. I'd heard great things, but I can't help but think the scares and set pieces would have been much more inventive and effective had the movie been helmed instead by Spielberg or Shyamalan. Ah well, maybe some other movie might deliver the goods one day.

5 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

There was no reason the red-haired girl couldn't have been the main character instead.

I too liked the oxygen tank chick. She's one of the more interesting young acties around today. Her birthmark was sexy too.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

A Quiet Place.

It wasn't too bad, but I was generally pretty disappointed with it. I'd heard great things, but I can't help but think the scares and set pieces would have been much more inventive and effective had the movie been helmed instead by Spielberg or Shyamalan. Ah well, maybe some other movie might deliver the goods one day.

Man, wouldn't Spielberg doing a suspense film like Jaws or Jurassic Park again be great? It'd be really cool seeing how his modern philosophies towards filmmaking would approach "horror", and he still usually has a great sense of timing. 

Also, am I the only person who wasn't sick from Tintin's camera movements?

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

I love Tintin, and I always thought one of the best things about it was how Spielberg, as a veteran film maker, seized the opportunity of doing a 3D movie to stage scenes just as if he had a real camera, only one that could do stuff a real camera can't. I thought that applied to RPO as well. Although I agree with Holko in that I liked it a lot at first, but in the second half got the impression that it ran out of steam and focus and didn't really know what it wanted to be.

7 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I wasn't sick, but I was rather disoriented.

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Man, wouldn't Spielberg doing a suspense film like Jaws or Jurassic Park again be great? It'd be really cool seeing how his modern philosophies towards filmmaking would approach "horror", and he still usually has a great sense of timing. 

The basement scene in War Of The Worlds. 

5 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

The basement scene in War Of The Worlds. 

Oh shucks, yeah! Well, what about a movie where he's not ripping himself off? :P It was well done, but felt like the kitchen scene in Jurassic Park, down to the predator fake-out.

I would love to see a post Munich Spielberg try to scare audiences again. 

Not that I'm the sort of viewer to do so, but one can pick apart A Quiet Place and easily see all of its plot holes if you're so inclined. It's very reminiscent of a Shyamalan flick in that regard, it's one big novelty idea which has a lose story contrived around it (its a simple one but fairly engaging in the way it's presented, to give it credit). But I dunno, I found the actual physical threat provided by the movie to be unimaginative and terribly cliche by now. That's where I feel someone like Spielberg might have devised more frightful deviousness out of the premise. As it stands, you're talking b-movie monster and scares, the effectiveness of which are heightened somewhat by an impressively visceral performance by the female lead.

Mission Impossible : Fallout - Cruise's willingness to put himself right in the middle of jaw-droppingly dangerous stunts that most major stars wouldn't go near definitely gives this particular action-thriller franchise an edge on others. Thumpingly good escapist entertainment.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout. It was enjoyable enough but not as fun/witty/tight/sleek/exciting as the previous two. Way too long as well, and lacking focus. Bit too... Nolan (shock! horror!) But some really cool action sequences and impressive stunts, as expected. You need to give credit to Cruise for putting himself in those ridiculous predicaments just to entertain you for a couple of hours.

Karol

Mission Impossible Fallout - Plotwise it's probably a bit confusing, but I don't go to these films for integral plots, I go to them for the action, and this one delivers. It's very entertaining from start to finish, and to see Cruise in his 50's still doing his own stunts is just amazing. Dude's a real pro. The few fights in this film in particular are quite excellent, and terrifically choreography, as well - 8 / 10

Ant-Man And The Wasp - like the first one, breezy fun with lower-key stakes than other Marvel flicks. Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly and Michael Pena bring the banter while Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfeiffer and Laurence Fishburne add the class.

Three Identical Strangers

It's an absorbing documentary, and that truth is stranger than fiction (and just as heartbreaking). At first, it seems like a happy instance of reunification but as the brothers, their family, and friends reveal -- much more was going on behind their separation.

You'd never look at an adoption agency the same way again, and just as infuriating as the Magdalene laundries debacle in Ireland.

Mission: Impossible - UnchartedFallout

As ridiculously over the top the action sequences are, these films earn them by making them (in the context of things) seem not quite impossible, and staging them exceedingly well. What this one in particular doesn't earn is some of the pathos, and actually some of the more goofy moments in dramatic sequences. It does have its share of good one liners you can buy as a desperate black humour, but also a bit more than the usual amount that takes you out of the moment. Both of which took me out of the film a couple of times, but overall it's a worthy entry in the series with gripping action, film history's longest 15 minute countdown and a somewhat Naughty Dog inspired finale.

The score is awful. Wait for the credits to finally hear Schifrin's classic themes, already mutilated for 2+ hours, finally killed with Epic Choir.

I don't think he's with the Church of Nolan anymore, Steef. Nolan simply doesn't perform enough miracles to keep crocs satisfied and so he went back to his first love: comics!

Or maybe crocs is the kind of person that is always going for the latest trends (like Marvel and buying 4K movies). You tell me!