What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Annihilation. Started out really promising it did. Then the monster came along, I groaned, and well it was pretty much downhill from there. Possibly Thor's favourite movie this year, certainly one of the best sci-fi films he's seen in the past five years.

It has that hactress from the prequels. And its a Netflix  film so it is mediocre at best. 

I expected an unusual and intelligent sci-fi film but, to be honest, I felt all that we got was a female-centric Predator movie. Except for the strange and fascinating climax (I'm glad Garland refused to change it), everything felt kind of déjà-vu. Not sure if I will ever watch it again.

annihilation_treeple-768x320.jpg

Okay, I admit the humanoid plants were cool too.

PS: Annihilation as released everywhere but not in Europe. 

I had the reverse opinion on Annihilation - I thought the first 2/3 was the boring part - it was just a cliched "team of scientists and mercenaries go into the jungle on a expedition and get attacked by more and more dangerous threats" type movie that they used ot make a lot of in the 90s.  But once she got underground and everything happened there, it got pretty cool and interesting finally.  I think about that whole final act often since seeing it

Yes, I was saying it was the reverse of Quint's opinion - he said the beginning was the good part and the ending was the bad part.  

The beginning of Annihilation was really interesting to me, I was well into how spartan everything was: the lo-fi but effective visuals, the dialogue, the withdrawn performances... it was right up my alley. I also found the female lineup in a dangerous expedition story like this one (juxtaposed against the domestic flashbacks) to be really refreshing (in a non gimmicky SJW way) and it encouraged me to expect great things as these extremely strange events unfolded.

But alas, the writing and dialogue took a drastic turn for the worst immediately after the first monster attack, I thought. The way that one character suddenly totally freaked out and sabotaged the mission (groan worthingly predictable), somehow restraining everyone in the party and lining them up in a row on chairs, tied up for her big speech (the practical logistics of which weren't depicted, for obvious reasons... lazy and awful writing!) It was absolutely movie breaking for me at that point. I wrote it off there and then. Gutted!

Then there was the unintentional laughs later on... the music - the synth fart sample chosen I unfortunately (for this movie's chances) recognised from the Saints Row video game series, which meant I couldn't find it anything but amusing in this "serious science fiction" setting. Just awful.

Then there was the "let us make it clear for you ending". As if the outer space prologue weren't adequate enough. This felt like Prometheus level bad, in that regard.

A frustrating movie, because there's otherwise certain things to like. The idea itself should have lent itself brilliantly to a really great sci-fi picture and some of the exotic prop design and colouring was really eye catching and I found that aspect genuinely thought provoking. But no, ultimately it amounted to nothing memorable in this movie.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, I was saying it was the reverse of Quint's opinion - he said the beginning was the good part and the ending was the bad part.  

Some people just want dumb and predictable popcorn movies, Jay. 

I just wished the whole movie was more like the last part because when the film finally got interesting it felt a bit like figs after Easter.

Given that Alex didn't seem to take issue with the really dumb monster scenes and even dumber dialogue, well, 'nuff said really.

Paramount made the right call keeping it out of cinemas, at least away from the popcorn crowd.

Infinity War

I don't think I'm any better off having seen it than 4 hours ago when I only knew the ending. Maybe I should ignore the movies and just read some spoilers.

It was exactly the same as the rest and I'm getting tired of them. Same CG orgies, samey visual direction, shoving "hilariously" unfitting wisecracks everywhere (though they thankfully toned it down for some scenes here), boring as shit punchouts, half the heroes not doing anything anything special (and having no development)... I was bored through most of it. Black Panther at least had the culturebuilding aspect to pull it above meh level, unlike Ragnarok which I don't know how I managed to watch through.

Two things come into mind that were kinda cool: Thanos using the Reality gem at Knowhere, including how he disposed of Drax and Mantis - the one bloody time we're shown anything from the powers of these supposedly incredibly OP gems, then from then on it's the same generic blue and purple laserForce punchingshooting stuff. The other is how the heroes teamed up and combined their abilities to take Thanos down and keep him from closing his fist (what a stupid design, and he did close his fist multiple times, like when shielding himslef from an explosion). But as we learn, it was all in vain because Strange wanted to give his stone up all along, presumably that's the one outcome where Thanos will eventually be beaten. SO the dick gave them false hope and confusion instead of just giving the stone up immediately and telling the guys the plan. OK, maybe another: the moment when Thor finally comes back and kicks ass after making that hammeraxe for what felt like weeks and after his 27th death fakeout.

Even the end didn't leave me sad or  anything, I'm just curious how it will be reversed in the next one. Of course coincidentally the old team happened to be in the random half, the universe doesn't cut development threads in half! But then why is Cap left, he did nothing in this except taking Vision to Wakanda.

Took my MIL to see Christopher Robin last Friday. It was pleasant enough.

Took my husband to see The Meg. It was fun if not forgettable but Megs are cool glad they don't  exist. They would give Japs and Norweegges a run on whale slaughter.

The Meg

Stripped down version of Steve Alten’s novel. A fun B movie that was surprisingly tame, JAWS had more gore. 

But it was enjoyable and clocked in under 2 hours, although it could have used maybe 15-20 more minutes. Music was forgettable but the visuals featured one of the better CGI sharks I’ve seen on the big screen. Film doesn’t really set up a sequel, plays more as a one and done.

Some of the omissions / changes from the book we’re slighty disappointing but not enough to hate the film. I took my 82 year old mom to see it and she enjoyed it as well.

Avengers: Infinity War

MV5BMjMxNjY2MDU1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY1

The poster reveals the problem. That's right! Too ... many ... good guys. That's why Avengers: Infinity War is Thanos' movie. He's the best thing about it (but I think somebody here mentioned that before). Other than that, after the first half hour, the movie starts to suffer from the More, Bigger and Louder syndrome. When everything becomes too much, it becomes less. Still, the movie has enough good moments enabling the viewer to make it to the finish line, something I can't say about every Marvel flick.

BTW, am I the only one who thought TPM during the ...

Spoiler

Wakanda Dome Battle?

No?! Really?

4 hours ago, El Jefe said:

The Meg

Stripped down version of Steve Alten’s novel. A fun B movie that was surprisingly tame, JAWS had more gore. 

But it was enjoyable and clocked in under 2 hours, although it could have used maybe 15-20 more minutes. Music was forgettable but the visuals featured one of the better CGI sharks I’ve seen on the big screen. Film doesn’t really set up a sequel, plays more as a one and done.

Some of the omissions / changes from the book we’re slighty disappointing but not enough to hate the film. I took my 82 year old mom to see it and she enjoyed it as well.

Would this be a bit too scary for younger children do you think?

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Would this be a bit too scary for younger children do you think?

It could be a bit intense for some kids. Big shark, underwater, unseen from above might be unsettling to some and play on fears.

It plays more like an action film though. There’s no Quint / Alex Kitner styled death scenes with humans.

the worst scene is a young whale gets bitten in half and the resolution with the shark at the end is violent but not over the top gory.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I loved the bald, African woman.

Danai Gurira, she’s is one of the main characters from The Walking Dead.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I read Jason Statham takes on the shark mano a mano and fucks him up!

Yes but that’s kinda how the book goes as well.

11 hours ago, El Jefe said:

The Meg

The boxoffice says otherwise and there are a half dozen sequel books to The Meg.

The Meg looks like one of those 'OMG, SHARKS!!!' crappenfests that are regularly to be found clagging up the SyFy/Horror Channel schedule has somehow scored itself a better budget, cast and CGI. 

I imagine I might catch it on TV on some future Saturday night, with a six-pack and suitably lowered expectations. 

7 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Meg looks like one of those 'OMG, SHARKS!!!' crappenfests that are regularly to be found clagging up the SyFy/Horror Channel schedule has somehow scored itself a better budget, cast and CGI. 

I imagine I might catch it on TV on some future Saturday night, with a six-pack and suitably lowered expectations. 

Look up clueless in the dictionary to see your face.

Just now, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

So y'all actually agree with me about Annihilation? 

I don't remember what you said about it

It was cliched and derivative until the final act, then it got interesting.  So no, I don't agree that the entire film was boring.

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Are you in the Jaws fans FB group Joe? It's MEG mad there lately for some reason. It's been a "controversial" movie there.

It pays homage ro Jaws (rip offs to some). Pippet/Pippen, winch etc. I read the book years ago. Jaws is the 1st the best and is not harmed.  Its a B movie. Its not a grade Z syfy movie. 

STEFAN & Sweeping if Skyline can get a sequel then so can Meg. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I never had a sequel!

You don't require a sequel.