What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

The Festival - pretty funny comedy from the people behind The Inbetweeners. If you liked that, you'll probably like this. 

The Equalizer 2 - Denzel Washington (in his first-ever sequel) again gives Liam Neeson a run for his money in the 'sixtysomething action hero with a certain set of skills' stakes. One wonders what Edward Woodward would make of it all.  

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Disco Stu said:

99% of what action stars of any age survive should kill them. 

To be fair, though, what @Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya is referring to is the fact their younger selves tend to get more bloodied up and beat down than their older selves (do I even need to say the one movie that immediately crosses the mind?)

6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

To be fair, though, what @Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya is referring to is the fact their younger selves tend to get more bloodied up and beat down than their older selves (do I even need to say the one movie that immediately crosses the mind?)

I'm glad someone understands my posts around here!

38 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyone Else Planning to See Operation Finale This Weekend?

Edit: Actually next weekend, assuming my new son hasn't been born.  Mixed up the movie times.

Does it feel weird to do "mundane" things, knowing you have a new lifeform bearing your DNA arriving into the world soon?

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Does it feel weird to do "mundane" things, knowing you have a new lifeform bearing your DNA arriving into the world soon?

By the time you're on your third kid, a lifeform bearing your DNA is mundane in itself

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

By the time you're on your third kid, a lifeform bearing your DNA is mundane in itself

Really? Wouldn't you do anything to protect that lifeform? Isn't that lifeform (along with the other two lifeforms) the most important things in your world?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I make jokes to distract from my crippling anxiety

What is your "crippling anxiety"?

52 minutes ago, Richard said:

Really? Wouldn't you do anything to protect that lifeform? Isn't that lifeform (along with the other two lifeforms) the most important things in your world?

I believe that's the fear of becoming crippled

55 minutes ago, Richard said:

It was a joke, Richard.

56 minutes ago, Richard said:

Just a bit of hyperbole, exaggerating the very real stress of having children

636612984606432029-upgrade-movie-poster.

A nice surprise, this cyberpunk thriller about a future world where people can enhance themselves. If you like Limitless (2011) with Bradley Cooper, then you should definitely check this one out. 7/10

upgrade-screenshot-1-1263x560.jpg

Crazy Rich Asians - Very nice romantic comedy. Starts out well, though it does devolve into melodrama and cliches typical of the genre by the end, though the writing and cast helps it work. Constance Wu is very charming, though I still can't stand Awkwafina, and found her very irritating and not very funny. Pleasant stuff. - 7 / 10 

On 8/22/2018 at 11:31 PM, Disco Stu said:

It was a joke, Richard.

In that case, no offense intended. Apologies, etc. I...am a worm!

On 8/22/2018 at 11:31 PM, Disco Stu said:

Just a bit of hyperbole, exaggerating the very real stress of having children

Agreed. I only had contact with children, when things went wrong, but they started to get better...

As a childless person, I can only imagine what anxieties, and what joys they must bring.

Crazy Rich Asians

Was dragged along to see this. It has a 90-something on Rotten Tomatoes but I had trouble finding any redeeming qualities (the stuff with the mom was fine I guess, but undercooked).  The score was as bad as I feared it would be.  I love a good romantic swell every now and then but the music has zero personality and is over scored.

It's no The Terminal

Film/Score: 4/10

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Crazy Rich Asians

Was dragged along to see this. It has a 90-something on Rotten Tomatoes but I had trouble finding any redeeming qualities (the stuff with the mom was fine I guess, but undercooked).  The score was as bad as I feared it would be.  I love a good romantic swell every now and then but the music has zero personality and is over scored.

It's no The Terminal

Film/Score: 4/10

What is wrong with you. Its a great film.

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

How?

Sadness

Just now, Stefancos said:

Having a different opinion about a film doesnt mean there's something wrong with a person, Joe.

Of course it does. He is dead inside.

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

That's why it's a great film??

Sadness is how I feel about your thoughts but not a surprise. You had a self fulfilling experience.

The film is well acted, it is well told. It flips the social constructs of the romantic comedy. Its funny as hell and it has a great ending. The score is far better than you could ever admit. 

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It just sounds racist!

You need to remove that word from your vocabulary. You always use it wrong. 

David rented a pair of films from Redbox. 

1st up was Unsane. A cinematic experiment filmed with an Iphone by Steven Soderbergh. He has made much better films. This was awful. 

Next up was the equally unappealing Isle of Dogs. It is an ugly looking film with terrible animation. Lucky for me there was a football game on in the bedroom. Never a fan of Anderson's smug filmmaking like Soderbergh's lineage Anderson has done better.

Ready Player One

Lighthearted and fun action/adventure film where Spielberg shows he can still outdo just about anyone when it comes to delivering an special effects spectacle.

Despite the incredible amount of references and nods to old films, tv series, games etc etc from yesteryear there is a surprisingly current feel to the movie. Probably because what we mostly do online is reference old films, TV series, games etc etc...

The film doesnt carry any kind of pretentious massage with it, but it does somehow ring true when it talks about people being obsessed with The Oasis to the extent that they completely ignore the real world (which, in every shot in this film looks like a dreary, unkempt shithole.)

The small cats of relatively unknown actors do well. Sheridan is right as the films central geek (and has a slight, but noticeable resemblance to Spielberg in his 20's). Ben Mendelssohn is a hoot to watch as the films baddie. 

I watched this entire film either with a big grin on my face or an exclamation of "Ha!"  

Fun!