What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like a few weeks back when I was going through every musical directed by Ernst Lubitsch from the early 1930s.  Neither I nor anyone else would want me to make a separate thread for each of those movies.  It's just forum clutter.

RBG

Whether your political views lean conservative, liberal, or somewhere in between -- this documentary shows a very nuanced and funny portrait of judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I appreciated that they highlighted her friendship with the late conservative judge Antonin Scalia in addition to her earlier work against sex-based discrimination. 

BlacKKKlansman - an interesting true story concerning still relevant issues, yes. Unfortunately I found this mostly plodding, overlong and nowhere near as funny as the trailer made it look.

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

BlacKKKlansman - an interesting true story concerning still relevant issues, yes. Unfortunately I found this mostly plodding, overlong and nowhere near as funny as the trailer made it look.

Aww, this looked like it could be one of Lee's best.

10 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Most of Lee's film suffer this fate.

11 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Most of Lee's film suffer this fate.

I'm still waiting for him to make one better than Mo' Better Blues. Such a poignant film,  almost like a "modern" Red Shoes. 

Love his directorial voice, though. As far as humor, I would say moreso than his writing it's his visual metaphor and gags that show his wit.

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

What Spike Lee films have you seen, Alex?

The usual suspects from his breakthrough period: Do The Right Thing, Jungle Fever, Mo Better Blues, ... Later, I kinda lost track of him, but I've seen ClockersInside Man, which I liked but it surprised me that it didn't feel like a Spike Lee joint.

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The usual suspects from his breakthrough period: Do The Right Thing, Jungle Fever, Mo Better Blues, ... Later, I kinda lost track of him, but I've seen ClockersInside Man, which I liked but it surprised me that it didn't feel like a Spike Lee joint.

What are your thoughts on Mo' Better Blues? It's one of my favorites, as I alluded to earlier. 

1200.jpg?width=965&quality=85&auto=forma

The Life and Death of John F. Donovan

Attended the premiere of French-Canadian wunderkind, Xavier Dolan's first big English picture at TIFF. Boasting an all-star cast featuring Kit Harrington, Natalie Portman, Susan Sarandon, Kathy Bates and Jacob Tremblay (the kid from Room), expectations were running high at the theatre. So it's sad to see the film fall flat for most of it. Dolan poses interesting queries about identity, celebrity culture, mommy issues, but butchers it with awkward structure and a flawed premise.

There are flashes of Dolan's trademark talent in some set-pieces (one in particular, recollects Magnolia), but feels half-hearted and messy in most of its execution. And I was disappointed with how on-the-nose and predictable it ended up being. Gabriel Yared's syrupy score doesn't do it any favours either.

There is a great deal of feeling in the work, but it just doesn't hold up very well in the end. The best part of the whole thing is the sumptuous cinematography.

I don't know. Everyone misfires every now and then. He's been the Cannes' darling for years now. I think he just needs to strike some new thematic territory.

And I still have faith in Villeneuve! Dune is going to be great!