What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, KK said:

Screen%20Shot%202018-06-28%20at%201.11.1

Mandy

It takes some time for it to get going, but once it does, it's a fine ride. Cosmatos delivers a revenge flick fascinated with 80s biker gangs, grunge, heavy metal, and pulp fantasy. It could definitely use some trimming in its first act, but once Cage wakes up, it's hard to turn away as he slobbers over himself, chopping off heads with giant axes and chainsaws. It should be very easy to get this wrong, to laugh at its self-indulgent ambitions, but the film strikes a very fine balance in its tone and character. And much of that success owes itself to Jóhannsson's psychedelic score, which ranges from dreamy strumming guitars to screaming organs with every crevice of sound explored in between. It's all one feverish LSD trip. Would have been a good one to have hit a joint before walking in...

Despite the mega hipster visuals, I thought Cosmatos' previous movie 'Beyond The Black Rainbow' was a disappointment from a storytelling point of view. I wonder how he fares now?

On 9/23/2018 at 7:28 AM, Stefancos said:

Is this already streaming or it it in cinema's?

It's playing at a limited handful of cinemas. I caught it downtown.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:16 AM, Richard said:

I started reading @KK's review. I got to the word "Cage", and stopped, immediately.

He's actually pretty fun in this. In fact, the film probably wouldn't have worked as well without someone like Cage and his over-the-top persona to fuel it.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:37 AM, Alexcremers said:

Despite the mega hipster visuals, I thought Cosmatos' previous movie 'Beyond The Black Rainbow' was a disappointment from a storytelling point of view. I wonder how he fares now?

I never watched Beyond the Black Rainbow, but it looked insufferable from the trailer alone. While Mandy's beginning might test your patience, it becomes more fun once it picks up. It's a film that's still rooted in pulp, so it doesn't come off as pretentious as his sensibilities suggest.

Just finished Solo.

Great entertaining movie, I laughed at many jokes, mostly involving Chewie and Lando.

Great prequel to the Han Solo Story!

Spoiler

And near the end of the movie, I loved how they reference Jabba two times without telling his name. We are not idiots. I love that.

The Sisters Brothers

Unfortunately, we live in a time where it takes 15, yes - fifteen, production companies to finance a western. So when I saw this playing at my local theater I made the trek out to go see it. Wildly mismarketed as an action comedy, this dark and brutal film struggles with tonal inconsistencies and pacing issues. That being said, it boasts a strong cast and some wonderfully lit night scenes, with a sparse yet eccentric score from Desplat. Check it out when it hits streaming services if that’s your sort of thing. 

On 9/28/2018 at 5:45 PM, Nick Parker said:

I wanna know the same! Quincy Jones is such an amazing composer and arranger, my biggest problem with him is that he hasn't written too much over the last several decades.

Sadly, you're right. Happily, BACK ON THE BLOCK is worth the price of admission. It's still an incredible record.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Sisters Brothers

Unfortunately, we live in a time where it takes 15, yes - fifteen, production companies to finance a western. So when I saw this playing at my local theater I made the trek out to go see it. Wildly mismarketed as an action comedy, this dark and brutal film struggles with tonal inconsistencies and pacing issues. That being said, it boasts a strong cast and some wonderfully lit night scenes, with a sparse yet eccentric score from Desplat. Check it out when it hits streaming services if that’s your sort of thing. 

Have you seen The Homesman (Tommy Lee Jones) and Slow West (John M.Maclean)? They are two of the finest Westerns that are made in recent years.

Goosebumps 2

A few notches above DTV sequel level, in terms of story and scope. It's a painless 90 minutes, even though it's rife with plot holes and logic gaps. Dominic Lewis's score is surprisingly fun, giving the film some well-needed life. His score feels like a genuine continuation of Elfman's style from the previous film, even quoting his theme often for good measure.

Possum - slow-burning, deeply unsettling British psychological horror. With excellent performances from Sean Harris and Alun Armstrong and a highly effective score by the Radiophonic Workshop.

First Man

Film of the year for me, and Hurwitz wins an Oscar for the score in my heart. Gripping, emotional, and the gravity of it all actually outweighs the lack thereof ;). My review is coming.

It's a real great emotional human drama at its core, and there are also fantastic scenes set in a space shuttle that were straight-up thrilling to watch. It's probably my favorite movie of the year. It's just an example of everything firing on so many cylinders, and Gosling's performance is terrific. As soon as I got out of the theater, I knew I wanted to see First Man a second time, which is much rarer these days. I was beyond super impressed. 

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Does it give us something that The Right Stuff didn't?

Its about an hour shorter :D, but, yes, Alex, THE RIGHT STUFF is a superlative piece of work, a genuine, bona fide, paid-up, fully loaded, Premiership masterpiece (and you don't get to say that about many films, these days).

6 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Saw First Man on Saturday. Thought it was fantastic. My review.

https://dailyuv.com/968792

I am stunned. There is nothing much to praise in this mediocre mismash. The first film to come to mind after exiting the theatre was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. That was a film about and individual who aged backwards and was a tedious affair I thought would never end. Then Saturday I saw First Man, a film that took a look at perhaps mans greatest acheivement and made it a tedious affair. The film isn't  bad but it never acheives lift off. Ryan Gosling, one of this generation's most unappealing actors is okay but his portrayal of Armstrong(who I ment in the 70's) as a dour unhappy man never allows the film to revel in that great moment. I wanted to feel something when the 3 Apollo Astronauts burned to death but that sequence so wonderfulIy realised in the Right Stuff has no spark in this film. I wanted to feel somethimg in that speculative moment at the end but I couldn't. I blame the director. I remembered how exuberant I felt after the Right Stuff and I will not remember this film after my next film outing.

And fancy there is no space shuttle in First Man. 

3 minutes ago, Romão said:

Was the Apollo 1 accident depicted in The Right Stuff? I don't remember it...

Now you have me 2nd guessing myself. 

Halloween (2018)

surprisingly good entry in the long-in-the-tooth franchise. David Gordon Green milks genuine tension and shocks from most of the set pieces. The last 30 minutes had a lot of people at my screening at the edge of their seat and Jamie Lee Curtis dedicates 110% to her role without repeating what she did in Halloween H20. John Carpenter returning to co-score the film brings a welcome feel to the proceedings.

If the studio and producers had any integrity, this would be a perfect film to end the Halloween franchise on.

I do hope it is the last. Its not very good until the halfway mark. There are a couple nods to original that show how superior that 1st entry was.

The problem is people in that business allow trash like Danny McBride to write and he's just a tard. This was in many ways Rob Zombie bad.

On 10/21/2018 at 10:54 AM, Stefancos said:

I'm told it's visually unremarkable, which the first one certainly wasnt.

A friend reports that he really likes the lighting on Myers.

Doesn't really count I guess, but ... the first hour of Hunter Killer. Some fucking selfish prick had his phone out in my eyeline so often my ability to concentrate on the film was in tatters, so I walked out. 

Reported it to the staff, and one of them went to have a word with him whilst another asked me if I wanted to see anything else. Couldn't think of anything, so told them not to worry and left. No refund offered, but I guess it wasn't a technical fault or whatever so fair enough.

Even more in favour of phone-jamming tech in the screens now (or screenings specifically for people who want to dick about on their phones, at the very least).