What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Who wants to educate a theatre full of people? Just watch movies at home.

Absolutely not. I see a film at the theatre on average once a week. I rarely ever have audience issues. And the way our theatre is designed you cant see other patrons on different rows, only those in the row where we sit.

I don't have audience issues either, but I often find myself engaging with a movie more in the privacy and comfort of my own home.

Am I right to assume that many of the people in JWFan had some of their most impactful film-going experiences in the comfort of their own living-room? I know I did.

50 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

... but I often find myself engaging with a movie more in the privacy and comfort of my own home.

And alone without anyone distracting me. 

26 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I have better experiences at the theatre.

It's different with big summer blockbusters.

14 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And alone without anyone distracting me. 

It's different with big summer blockbusters.

Its better with all films. Ny best experiences are rarely summer blockbusters Mr. Incorrect Assumptions.

Big audience movies like Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom are made to watch together with a big audience, Joey. There's nothing much to assume. It's a given. There's very little that can destroy the mood or distract from the experience. It's strange that you don't think those are the most suitable or that they rarely give you the best theatre experience. :eh:

I didn't  say most suitable. I said best for me. This is the time of year that I find films most audience engaging, fall to spring.

I don't  disagree with your thesis statement though. Star Wars is still the greatest movie experience of my life but it could hardly fit the bill as a designed crowd pleasing summer blockbuster. 

I had a much better time watching films like Manhattan by the Sea, Shin Godzilla, and Ex Machina at the theater: feeling that collective empathy of the crowd during the former (especially at that one flashback scene), the sense of tension and trying to put it all together in the latter, etc....

I've said before, films are collective, social experiences for me more times than not: I love that feeling of a group of strangers gathering to experience this one thing simultaneously, feeling the ebb and flow of the rest of the crowd as it syncs up (or not) with my own. 

You should become a sports fan then, Nick. Sports are all about ... the collective. Personally, I was never that much of a group person. Even when I was young and I would go see a movie (which I did quite often), I was always hoping that the theatre would be completely empty. 

9 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Woah. Unexpected John Merrick is quite jolting when scrolling down a thread.  

True story back in 1977 my mom was the manager of the Hallmark store at the mall. My sister and I went to see her to bum some money to go see something called Star Wars showing at the  same mall. As we moved the store we rounded a corner and there was someone in the aisle with the same condition. I quickly covered my sisters mouth to prevent her from screaming. 

The Theory Of Everything

The_Theory_of_Everything_(2014).jpg

A few true stories:

True story #1:

06cec3104a4aceb1f862233fa50e0fc0--stephe

felicity-jones-in-the-theory-of-everythi

MV5BZjNjNjYxZDgtYzYxOC00ZWIyLWIwZWItZDZj

During the movie, I kept thinking: "But ... who is this beautiful actress?!!" After the movie, I still did not know who she was, and I had to look her up on IMDb ... Felicity Jones of Star Wars: Rogue One?!! OMG, she really made no impression on me in that movie. 

True story #2:

As soon as the movie starts we hear music and my first reaction was:

p186jrsu819fl12ljlmr186613on1.jpg

In fact, I could have bet money on it! I kid you not. I even thought that it sounded like one of his better ones.

But no, it wasn't Desplat. After the movie, IMDb revealed to me that is was:

tumblr_p3y9ya0fKq1roci9qo1_500.jpg

Who knew Johann Johannsson could compose in that typical Alexandre Desplat style?!  Some parts reminded me of Richard Robbins though ...

True story #3

05-charlie-cox-theory-everything.jpg

I did recognize the music teacher but I couldn't place him. I suspected I must have seen him in some costume movie or something. But when I looked him up on IMDb, I was in for another shock:

Matt-Murdock-1024x577.jpg

He's Daredevil, of course. 

True story #4:

10650_theoryofeverything-3.jpg

While I was watching, I had a hunch that this guy won the Oscar for best actor. I was right! And a good job he did too.

All in all, a well made and touching biopic. 8/10

PS: Oh no, I posted it in The Newer films thread. Ah, well ...

6 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Do you not watch the credits, Alex?

I did, for a while, but then somewhere during the credits Netflix makes the movie really small in favour for another movie suggestion. I thought it would be easier and much quicker to go straight to IMDb. 

Bohemian Rhapsody. 

I’m not really a Queen fan. Their greatest hits is enough for me .

I really fucking enjoyed this though. Absolutely brilliant and the final 20 minutes are just perfect. 

I hope Malek wins the Oscar! He’s perfect as Freddie.

Apparently the historical accuracy is a problem with some reviewers. I don’t know the history of the band well enough to care. 

The film probably needs to lose 10-15 minutes from throughout the film but show me a modern film that doesn’t. 

32 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Mixed is the best outcome for a new movie, however I don't really know if I fancy this Queen one.

I don't really get why people like biopics about musicians, actors etc tbh.

Queen is about their music!

A biopic about the life of John Williams would be boring as hell I wager 

If I do watch it (on Netflix), it'll be for the lead performance, which I hear really carries an otherwise very conventional fan service of a movie. (I have nothing against fan service fair btw, but I know some people do).

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Apparently the historical accuracy is a problem with some reviewers.

Than they should stop reviewing narrative films.

Historical accuracy is for documentaries.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

If I do watch it (on Netflix), it'll be for the lead performance, which I hear really carries an otherwise very conventional fan service of a movie. (I have nothing against fan service fair btw, but I know some people do).

Yeah, that’s fair enough. It’s a bit fan servicey (I don’t really have a problem with that too much) but it’s all about the lead performance. 

But then again, Queen was really all about Freddie’s performance anyway (at least in my opinion anyway). It does focus a good bit on their music to be fair. There’s a good bit of time spent in studios showing how certain songs were written and recorded and there’s a lot of humour in those scenes too so they don’t become boring. 

I think they dealt with his sexuality, AIDES diagnosis, and loneliness of his fame quite well. 

It’s perfectly adequate. The lead performance is what elevates the film for me. 

30 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Than they should stop reviewing narrative films.

Historical accuracy is for documentaries.

Agreed. Historical accuracy only becomes an issue for me when there are too many other issues or when accuracy is sacrificed for a particular agenda. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I don't really get why people like biopics about musicians, actors etc tbh.

A biopic about the life of John Williams would be boring as hell I wager 

The life of John Williams, yes. The life of Freddy Mercury, no.

I finally got around to seeing Black Panther. It’s pretty good but I thought that some of the CGI and other special effects weren’t that great (for a film of that magnitude). Leticia Wright and Danai Gurira were stand outs.

Well it made a boatload of money, so Venom 2 is definitely going to be a thing.

Guess Sony's got their Spider-Man cinematic universe that... may or may not actually involve Spider-Man?  I don't know how the Holland version could exist in two separate universes, but what do I care.

Spiderman 3 was a warning for Venom though Tom Hardy is one sexy hot man. 

Bohemian Rhapsody - culminating in a very convincing recreation of Queen's Live Aid performance, this biopic of Freddie Mercury (surely one of rock's most beloved frontmen) is inspiring, amusing and at times deeply moving. Rami Malek is excellent as Freddie.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:49 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Bohemian Rhapsody - culminating in a very convincing recreation of Queen's Live Aid performance, this biopic of Freddie Mercury (surely one of rock's most beloved frontmen) is inspiring, amusing and at times deeply moving. Rami Malek is excellent as Freddie.

I read that the movie is doing surprisingly well at the box-office so it's clear people want to see a biopic about a musician after all. Does this pave the way for Johnny & Spielberg: The Longest Collaboration;)

suspiria-trailer.jpg

Suspiria

I've never seen the original, and I think I'm glad I didn't, otherwise this viewing wouldn't have been as rewarding. Guadagino's take, true to form, is hyper-sensual, grotesque and occasionally, a bit of a slog. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film quite a bit, if only because its highs and intrigue don't fail to fascinate (especially the fantastic ending). But there's clearly a lot of unnecessary padding here, perhaps in vain attempt to chase after more political and feminist(?) subtexts. With a more stringent editor, this could have been really special. Johnson is great, but your eyes, naturally, are always drawn to the stunning Tilda Swinton, who is absolutely radiant as Mme. Blanc, (as the unnecessary old man, not so much). Thom Yorke's score is good, but the songs feel pretty shoehorned into the film.

It's an admirable film. Beautifully shot and designed, if only a little calculated. I look forward to seeing the original, which I've heard is more raw and over-the-top.

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I read that the movie is doing surprisingly well at the box-office so it's clear people want to see a biopic about a musician after all. Does this pave the way for Johnny & Spielberg: The Longest Collaboration;)

No. Absolutely not. Ugh.