What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Cheesy and predictable but well done

Like I said in my review, you can chart out the general course of the movie after about 10 or 15 min. Honestly, I don't really fault the film for it, either. Cheesy? It's really sentimental and dramatic, but when I watch a film I completely surrender myself to it, so if it's hyper-emotional, then so be it, especially when it's done with the finesse and cool-headed maturity you saw. 

I didn't have much expectation going on, but like you, I was very pleasantly surprised. 

53 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Like I said in my review, you can chart out the general course of the movie after about 10 or 15 min. Honestly, I don't really fault the film for it, either. Cheesy? It's really sentimental and dramatic, but when I watch a film I completely surrender myself to it, so if it's hyper-emotional, then so be it, especially when it's done with the finesse and cool-headed maturity you saw. 

I didn't have much expectation going on, but like you, I was very pleasantly surprised. 

I enjoyed the first one and liked this one too. They are very formulaic films but execute the shamelessly predictable formula with enough skill.

I also liked Goransson's score. It's less boisterous than the first one but also reflects a more personal journey that the main character embarks on. The score really delivers the punch in the second half. Still, while not as good of a listen as the first one on album, it's a score with brains. And it has melodic content that actually goes somewhere. And I also like how the vocal tracks and score are basically one thing. Cleverly done.

@Nick Parker you might really enjoy the first score. The main Creed theme doesn't ever really flourish in the sequel in the same way as it does in the original (which dramatically makes sense). I think it is a terrific theme, one of the better ones in modern popular cinema:

Karol

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

How was Sly?

Subdued and quiet. I had an impression there was less of him in this one. But there's a story reason for that. He's playing an old man man who has got no one and it's quite heartbreaking. No matter how predictable the plot might be.

Karol

People can laugh with Sylvester Stallone all they want, but the moment he steps into the shoes of Rocky, something clicks. He's got a natural gift for playing the whipped dog.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

People can laugh with Sylvester Stallone all they want, but the moment he steps into the shoes of Rocky, something clicks. He's got a natural gift for playing the whipped dog.

Yes! There is a certain dignity to his performance. Nothing to do with acting - more of an overall presence.

Karol

Bohemian Rhapsody

Meh.  The acting was very good but the movie was cliched and predictable. Same old "start at the bottom / rise to the top / crash to rock bottom / rise back up for the finale " formula most all biopics have.  But this one tries to cover 15 years of an interesting person's life in 2 hours and nothing is developed enough, things just happen and we're on to the next big topic.

I remember reading that this film had an original score by John Ottman, but I literally never noticed one, the only music I remember is Queen and other period songs.  Weird.

Yeah, they kinda tried a few times to make some montages interesting but none of them were as inspired as the average montage in Better Call Saul

If there aren't any humorous moments then that's a pity and a wasted opportunity. I can imagine plenty of antics that would have made for great snippets of comedy among the drama. Not to mention that Freddie was also known for his sharp tongued wit. 

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I believe its a straight biopic, Alex.

You are free to believe that, just as I'm free to believe there might be a humorous side to the film.

51 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Maybe you missed it.

There was quite a bit of humor in the film.

It’s a drama first but certainly made me laugh out loud a few times. The recording of “Bohemian Rhapsody” is the comedic highlight.

Not a great film, as an exploration of Freddie’s inner life it’s really no more enlightening than a Wikipedia entry but it’s an okay diversion. Malek acquits himself well.

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But that doesn't mean its a comedy!

But I was right that there is a humorous side to it. I'm glad that I still can trust my trailer reading skills. 

It's strange that Jay missed it. Maybe he didn't get it.

Just now, mrbellamy said:

The recording of “Bohemian Rhapsody” is the comedic highlight.

Hahahaha! I can't wait to see that!

19 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I knew it!

They make fun of his teeth. The Mike Meyer cameo is comedic. I found the character played by the young boy in Jurassic Park to be a funny character. It isnt a comedy that is true but there are plenty of laughs.

Dunno if this would be consider newer since it was a couple of years ago but Independence Day Resurgence.  I was watching it while doing a gapless edit of the complete score.

While this film AND score are not as good as the original they have both been growing a lot more on me.  I'm starting to like the film more with each viewing.

Alex is, of course, putting words in my mouth again. I never said it didn't have funny moments in it (what film doesn't?).  I said it wasn't a comedy.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Alex is, of course, putting words in my mouth again. I never said it didn't have funny moments in it (what film doesn't?).  I said it wasn't a comedy.

Actually, you were mind-boggled when I asked "Is wasn't funny?"

You're reaction was (and I remember it very well, you used my words): "Why would a movie about Freddy Mercury be 'funny'?" (which you then later changed into 'comedy')

I responded with: "Why not? I thought the trailer alluded to comedy." (which doesn't mean that it is a comedy) 

Then you said:  "It's not even remotely a comedy." 

So, no, I'm not putting words in your mouth. It is clear that you could not fathom why someone would expect Bohemian Rhapsody to be funny and that you think it's rather the opposite. Sure, now you say every movie has funny bits, but that is simply not true either, far from it. 

Alex is right the trailer did allude to comedic moments. 

The real problem with the movie is its not raunchy like his life probably was. It is nice and safe. It doesn't ever portray Freddie in a light other than Freddie is like every other superstar who needs a NO man instead of a yes man. I can live with that film making decision. I just wanted to see the performances and in that area the actors were brilliant.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:01 PM, JoeinAR said:

They make fun of his teeth. The Mike Meyer cameo is comedic. I found the character played by the young boy in Jurassic Park to be a funny character. It isnt a comedy that is true but there are plenty of laughs.

The Mike Myers character is a composite of all the unconvinced record company dudes Queen encountered, apparently (and his casting is also an in-jokey nod to the Bohemian Rhapsody bit in Wayne's World). 

2634032.jpg

SPOILER ALERT

Cuaron's latest now on Netflix. Given the critical reception i frankly expected a bit more. The title refers to a then-posh part of Mexico City, background for a story that chronicles a year in the life of a middle-class family's maid in the early 1970s. It's a film of striking images, a rainy backyard, an earthquake in a maternity ward, a slum village with no pavements but an election rally in the background, a mexican christmas in the country, the geometry of the household, Cuaron's b/w photography paints a vivid, poetic picture of what is obviously an autobiographical slice of life. I guess it's a love declaration for the selfless maid, who obviously means a lot to the kid's but you are never really sure from whose point of view the story is told, as the narration switches uneasily between the kids and Cleo, the housemaid, who is a passive character, reactive at best. She's monosyllabic and we never really know what's going on inside her, and when Cuaron brings in the heartbreak (she is dumped pregnant by a characterless lover and loses her baby) it feels strangely detached and protocolar. Why i. e. we spend so much time with Cleo in the hospital for an incident she hardly reacts to is not quite clear. This finds a parallel with the mother, who is left by her husband at around the same time - maybe this connects things, i don't know. 

It's an affecting movie, the child actors are wonderful and it's made in an assured, visually impressive style. But i'm afraid Cuaron was going for something grander, more universal, which the movie's kaleidoscopic snapshots can't provide. It remains an interesting look into mexican society in the early 70's but at almost 140 minutes, we might ask for something a bit more emotionally engrossing. Or, to put it less amicable, Cuaron just overstates the public's interest in his memories of a by-all-accounts rather spoiled childhood (or not, going by the current IMDB rating). 

54 minutes ago, publicist said:

2634032.jpg

Or, to put it less amicable, Cuaron just overstates the public's interest in his memories of a by-all-accounts rather spoiled childhood (or not, going by the current IMDB rating). 

I will avoid this as if it is a tripe filled burrito.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I will watch it because I'm not afraid of B&W. ;)

But mind you, I'm not a big fan of Gravity or COM.

Alex you are not driven by OCD or asperger and you are not a millennial or genXr. You are (and I am sorry) just old. Of course you are not afraid of B&W.

Aquaman

Too much Avatar-meets-Jurassic-Park CG, goes on too long, and it doesn't feel like it should work. It's a hodgepodge of genres and definitely cheesy in places but for some reason, director James Wan and star Jason Momoa make it fairly diverting. Rupert Gregson-Williams comes up with an anonymous guitar riff for the character surrounded with generic Williams/Silvestri-inspired writing (more orchestral than Wonder Woman), but fairly forgettable.

For an advance free screening, I can't complain too much. It could've been a lot better, but then it could've been MUCH worse.

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Call me "old", Joe (you wouldn't be the first one to call me that, and frankly I don't give two shits if you do), but I'm with Alex; COM is meant to be deep and philosophical, but just comes across as pretentious drivel.

I do not disagree. What some call greatness I say what the hell?

We were going to go see Aquaman tomorrow at 2 with my friend John and then go eat at Red Lobster afterwards it had become a tradition to go to the movies the Saturday before Christmas and spend time together. Instead we are sadly going to be going to John's funeral at 2. I had messaged him the other day and got no response which was weird because he's one of those guys that replies before you can finish typing but he never responded and unfortunately he went to bed Tuesday night and never woke up, so in one way he was very lucky. Deaths at Christmas time sting more than any other time of the year.