What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Richard said:

... would the MATRIX trilogy count as "post-apocalyptic"?

Yes, it would. The Matrix is many things: Post-apocalyptic, Dystopian, Cyberpunk, Neo noir, ... Come to think of it, the Planet Of The Apes movies are apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic as well.

Bohemian Rhapsody. It's constricted a bit by the played out biopic format conventions.. and the first act especially feels more like a montage... a hodge-podge of a story that skips some of the chapters. Having said that, as it picks up pace and some dramatic weight along the way the film becomes very enjoyable. Not sure how accurate it is but it seems to have heart in the right place. I had a good time and got bit teary-eyed in a couple of places (didn't cry though!).

While watching the film, I kept wondering how much of the film was reshot after Singer was fired and how it affected the finished product. The film jumps around stylistically quite a lot so it's hard to tell. We'll probably never know...

Karol

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Unbreakable fans are disappointed by the film.

It’s the concluding film of a trilogy initiated by Unbreakable. Concluding films are almost always dissappointing. Doesn’t mean they’re bad.

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

A good third outing, although I prefer the other two. This one seems to feature less growth from its main character (although that's not to say there is none) and most of the series' secondary character's are just there with not much distinctive to do. Still, it's a very good-looking film and Powell's score us very good in the film. It particularly shines in the film's second half.

Glass

Glass wants to be three things at once: a sequel to Unbreakable, a sequel to Split and its own movie. Unfortunately, this doesn't quite work. The movie starts out promising, but then drags. Audience members who were there to watch the sequel to Split seemed utterly confused by all the comic book references. If you're there to see the sequel to Unbreakable, you will be very disappointed. As I was. I walked out of the theatre thinking "I waited 19 years for this?" Not a good sign.

Split also tried to be its own movie (referring to Unbreakable almost as an unnecessary afterthought) so I completely understand why Unbreakable fans expect Glass to be the first and real sequel to Unbreakable. Sad to hear the many disappointments ... but, in the end, we will always have Unbreakable

Screen-Shot-2018-07-09-at-7.55.29-AM.png

The Favourite

Having only seen his last three films, this is the first Lanthimos work that really clicks from beginning to end. Oozing in wit, the director finally reaches beyond simply emulating Kubrick-ian aesthetics and more generously embraces to his satirical sensibilities. Everything is deliciously staged, in camera, dialogue and performances. And while Weisz is fantastic, Coleman is the real star. Might be the best I've seen of its year.

There are touches of absurdism, naturally. But it's more "accessible" than both The Lobster and Killing of the Sacred Deer.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Killing of the Sacred Deer.

Oh, right, I've seen that one too. Don't remember much about it except that I liked it, I think.

Just now, Alexcremers said:

Oh, right, I've seen that one too. Don't remember much about it except that I liked it, I think.

It was okay. Was pretty underwhelmed it. The Favourite is much better than both of those films.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

pubs too? Now that's a real shame. I hope that's not true.

Drax has always had impeccable taste in women:

440B701A00000578-4866934-image-m-14_1504

Anyone else think there should be a female Joker now?

47 minutes ago, KK said:

We got one. She was great.

Image result for harley quinn margot robbie

She was okay in a terrible film. WILL Smith was a better reason to watch. Jared Leto was a reason to not watch.

I forgot i recently saw Annihilation. My goodness what kind of awfulness was that. And that ending....