What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/29/2019 at 10:06 PM, KK said:

I missed it at TIFF but it won the festival prize, and seems to be the betting underdog horse for awards season, so I thought it would be more than the formulaic air of its trailer. Oh well. At least it sounds like a fun watch.

Meh. Nice moments and nicely framed, but overall, comes off as kind of aimless and staged. A disappointing followup to Moonlight .

Moonlight...the most undeserving film to ever win best picture. 

This type of film seems like a win for the gay community but in reality its not.  Brokeback Mountain was a better made film bit its false representation of the gay experience was worse than depicting here. The best think about this film is Ali. He is eminently watchable. 

On the Basis of sex

A better-budgeted biopic you would normally see on broadcast TV or Lifetime. Felicity Jones is quite good as Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mimi Leder's direction is good and the supporting cast is top-notch -- but it can't quite escape the usual biopic tropes (even with Ginsburg's grandson penning the screenplay).

Go with RBG instead.

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. I liked it well enough but didn't love it. It does what needs to do but there doesn't seem to be that much to it -- the story is bit half-cooked. Nothing really wrong with any of it...just feels like simply "another one". Or maybe I went in with much higher expectations. Anyway, the other two soared much higher.

The score was mixed quite low a lot of the time.

Karol

Well we rented 4 films from Redbox. The Grinch, hunter killer, widows, and boy erased. 

On 2/3/2019 at 2:18 PM, crocodile said:

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. I liked it well enough but didn't love it. It does what needs to do but there doesn't seem to be that much to it -- the story is bit half-cooked. Nothing really wrong with any of it...just feels like simply "another one". Or maybe I went in with much higher expectations. Anyway, the other two soared much higher.

The score was mixed quite low a lot of the time.

Karol

No!  No!!

Finished Boy Erased. Not a great film but it finished well. It had one hilarious moment that feels like a personal inside joke.  The main character likes putting his hand/arm out the window and his mother ecclaims he could lose his arm if they got hit.  In 2006 I was pulled over by the police for hanging my arm out the window. I was not ticketed but the officer told me I could lose my arm if I got hit. 

Oh yeah film is about gay conversion therapy. Conversion therapy is total bullshit and does nothing but harm It fails 100 % of the time. His parents failure to protect him is a real piss offing moment. All the acting is fine, but the film needed better editing.

3 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Oh yeah film is about gay conversion therapy. Conversion therapy is total bullshit and does nothing but harm It fails 100 % of the time.

I agree, electric shock therapy and chemical castration is a more effective way to treat homosexuality.

A walmart sack held tightly over the head is cheaper and takes no more than 4 to 5 minutes.

Hunter Killer. Its Hunt For Red October lite. Still a lot of good submarine action.  Its not a great movie but its a fun movie

Next up Widows

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part. Didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Might be even a tad better than the first one. It's the same exact concept but executed with more care. I felt it more more story and character focused and less about endless trademarked cameos.

Having said that, I'll probably forget about it by tomorrow...

Karol

I liked it.

Overall an enjoyable sequel, but nowhere near as good as the first movie (I consider the original a near-perfect movie). It just lacked the novelty, I guess? Though I guess that’s to be expected after three movies... the characters are still fun and there’s a lot more pop culture references this time around. A solid 4 out of 5 for me. 

Minority Report

The reason this film is quite good and even a bit underrated is because it first builds a world using an inherent fantasy (ie. one little given to the construct of the world that just isn't explained or isn't a reality in our world. It just IS, kind of like GRAVITY in our world just IS, or CONSCIOUSNESS just IS.) This foundational theme of the plot just IS in that world it transports us to. What this does, which is a miraculous key to good plot writing when approached in even less obvious ways, is if this "fantasy given" is instrumental enough to interact with many things we know about reality in an original way, that is, it makes us learn things we didn't know about reality if we were to change just one facet, it will be just the difference to create a groundbreaking plot, as the new given follows all real rules and yet because of one simple outlier, it changes so many conclusions we might have about the plot, or like one new color it can transform a normal painting into any millions of possible things depending on the effect you want. This style of movie script writing can be done in many more subtle ways to create deep original stories, but Minority Report is a more obvious example of it, as well as Nolan's The Prestige.

7 minutes ago, John said:

I liked it.

Overall an enjoyable sequel, but nowhere near as good as the first movie (I consider the original a near-perfect movie). It just lacked the novelty, I guess? Though I guess that’s to be expected after three movies... the characters are still fun and there’s a lot more pop culture references this time around. A solid 4 out of 5 for me. 

When I saw the first one for the first time, I did not like it all that much.  It has since grown on me.

The LEGO Movie was extremely fun and had plenty of great callbacks. In contrast to Ready Player One (review coming), another movie that's basically one big Easter egg in itself, the LEGO Movie had way more references that I was able to catch and understand. It also doesn't take itself so seriously, and is pretty fun all around. 

As as a bonus, I just like LEGO in general.

21 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

When I saw the first one for the first time, I did not like it all that much.  It has since grown on me.

Lord/Miller's tendencies are definitely an acquired taste.

I think it's a masterpiece. Everything about The Lego Movie is just great. The animation, the voice cast, the story, the clever inversion of the "chosen one" trope; it just had no right being as great as it turned out.

9 hours ago, Romão said:

Some friends of mine have bought several dozens of that set :)

I'm planning on getting two or three. But I also still have my original classic spacemen.

10 hours ago, SteveMc said:

The trailer told me that already.

Indeedo.

I have faith in my trailer reading skills.

Film seems to be bombing, even though the name Cameron is attached to it. I guess the latest theatre-going audiences doesn't know who Cameron is anymore.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Oh the trailer definitely told me that already. But I've seen everything else already. Limitless cinena is a burden, I tell ya! ;)

Karoo

Has the ratio of good films compared to bad been good thus far? 

11 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Has the ratio of good films compared to bad been good thus far? 

Out of the 13 I watched mid-Jan? 5 were decent enough, 5 were good, 2 were utter shite and 1 was was great.

Two lined up for next week.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

gaga_kenneth-e1539756370818-1170x480.jpg

A Star is Born

It's okay. Handsomely shot actually. Cooper has a good eye, and he's clearly the real star here (Gaga is solid, but no match). But it's all too familiar, beats and all, and for a music movie, just not very fun.

On 2/23/2019 at 5:45 PM, KK said:

gaga_kenneth-e1539756370818-1170x480.jpg

A Star is Born

It's okay. Handsomely shot actually. Cooper has a good eye, and he's clearly the real star here (Gaga is solid, but no match). But it's all too familiar, beats and all, and for a music movie, just not very fun.

How was the tinnitus aspect?

She's a better actress than Madonna but Madonna is a better pop star with bigger hits.

• 2 weeks later...

Captain Marvel - action, chuckles, the likes of Garbage, Elastica, Nirvana and R.E.M. on the soundtrack ... and a scene-stealing cat. If you usually enjoy these movies, then this is as reliably entertaining as the others.

Captain Marvel

Actually enjoyed myself. It's mostly standalone and the '90s setting gives it a fresher feel. Brie Larson, as usual, holds the film quite well and has a nice rapport with Samuel L. Jackson. A bit of buddy comedy, a bit '90s action movie, as well as a dash of Top Gun, Superman: The Movie, Star Trek and Star Wars thrown in. And Goose the cat was absolutely adorable.

I might see this again. I just had a good time with it and eagerly anticipate the sequel.

Captain Marvel

I liked it. Felt a lot like a “phase one” MCU movie in a good way. Good performances all around, particularly SLJ, though I felt Marvel herself was a bit underwritten, and most of the attempts at her character delivering quips and humor sort of fell flat. Despite any flaws it's a fun little standalone adventure I definitely enjoyed. 

Toprak’s score was alright. A lot of the usual Marvel sound, but there was some nice synthy stuff that caught my ear. 

On 2/11/2019 at 7:37 AM, Borodin said:

Minority Report

The reason this film is quite good and even a bit underrated is because it first builds a world using an inherent fantasy (ie. one little given to the construct of the world that just isn't explained or isn't a reality in our world. It just IS, kind of like GRAVITY in our world just IS, or CONSCIOUSNESS just IS.) This foundational theme of the plot just IS in that world it transports us to. What this does, which is a miraculous key to good plot writing when approached in even less obvious ways, is if this "fantasy given" is instrumental enough to interact with many things we know about reality in an original way, that is, it makes us learn things we didn't know about reality if we were to change just one facet, it will be just the difference to create a groundbreaking plot, as the new given follows all real rules and yet because of one simple outlier, it changes so many conclusions we might have about the plot, or like one new color it can transform a normal painting into any millions of possible things depending on the effect you want. This style of movie script writing can be done in many more subtle ways to create deep original stories, but Minority Report is a more obvious example of it, as well as Nolan's The Prestige.

Newer films?

Into the Spiderverse

This is what the Internet's raving about? Eh.

I mean it looks very nice! Has some intriguing ideas, too. Then it does barely anything original or interesting with them and just falls back to the same old cliché superhero schlock, just in a shiny wrapper.