What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An opportunity arose to start going to the cinema again, so last Friday I saw Pet Sematary and I loved it.

It felt like it had real characters, and once everything goes south, it doesn't drag on, but gets to its point quickly.

And I've just finished watching The Silence on Netflix. Most of it is a nicely executed thriller (or whatever) although the last act contains a very unnecessary fight sequence with a pretty crappy antagonist. I rather enjoyed the score but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be released.

Took my oldest to see Missing Link.  It was good but not great.  Pleasant and funny.  The artistry of Laika is breathtaking to behold, but I do wonder if they’ve gotten so good at making stop motion seamless that they’ve taken some of the charm out of the form.  Like it’s lost some of that crafty physicality.  I think I prefer the style of Wes Anderson’s stop motion forays where showing the seams is part of the fun.

6 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

So far, they have yet to come close to topping Coraline. Shame Henry Selick didn't stick around..

By all accounts (including his own), Selick is quite the pill to work with.

Laika’s best film is Kubo and the Two Strings. Just a beautiful, poignant piece of work. 

Coraline comes in at a close second. Great fun, freaked me out when I was a kid. 

The Silence was not as bad as Alex said but it was still bad. I went to sleep thinking about how easy it would be to eradicate them.

37 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I went to sleep thinking about how easy it would be to eradicate them.

Spoiler

You just place a 100 of these big grinders machines on a field and the problem is solved.

I really thought is was bad because it was simply not suspenseful (or mysterious). I blame the direction and the script (because you know exactly what the deal is from the start).

Then there's the abrupt (bad) ending, as if there was no more budget.

Yes that was most abrupt. Even in a quiet place you place a set of loud speakers in a field wehn the creatures attack you explode a MOAB device.

Remake time...

Dumbo (2019) - Actually surprised with this film. I didn't care for the original film, but Burton smartly crafts a better framework and expanded story. I don't think some of his decisions work (namely the B-plot that mirrors Disney's buyout of 20th Century Fox), but it engaged me. (Although Michael Keaton and Danny DeVito were wasted here.) The titular elephant was convincingly rendered and adorable. It's one of Disney's live-action remakes that stands on its own without copying the animated film beat by beat. Elfman's score is another Burton staple, but only really soars (pun intended) when Dumbo takes off.

Pet Sematary (2019) - It's rushed and Jason Clarke is miscast as the lead character, although Amy Seimetz is wonderful as Rachel Creed. The major changes to the story (especially the ending) doesn't change the tone or themes of King's novel, although the new ending comes off like a typical horror movie rather than something tragic. That said, the directors deserve credit for doing something different and not copying Mary Lambert's movie. Christopher Young's score is yet another Sinister-type soundscape horror score, I was hoping for something like The Uninvited / The Grudge.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:55 PM, John said:

Laika’s best film is Kubo and the Two Strings. Just a beautiful, poignant piece of work. 

I love a well crafted animation and I really tried with Kubo, I even watched the first half twice. But I just couldn't get into it. I thought it was boring.

Coraline on the other hand is an all time favourite. It's absolutely brilliant.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:49 PM, Matt C said:

Remake time...

Dumbo (2019) - Actually surprised with this film. I didn't care for the original film, but Burton smartly crafts a better framework and expanded story. I don't think some of his decisions work (namely the B-plot that mirrors Disney's buyout of 20th Century Fox), but it engaged me. (Although Michael Keaton and Danny DeVito were wasted here.) The titular elephant was convincingly rendered and adorable. It's one of Disney's live-action remakes that stands on its own without copying the animated film beat by beat. Elfman's score is another Burton staple, but only really soars (pun intended) when Dumbo takes off.

Pet Sematary (2019) - It's rushed and Jason Clarke is miscast as the lead character, although Amy Seimetz is wonderful as Rachel Creed. The major changes to the story (especially the ending) doesn't change the tone or themes of King's novel, although the new ending comes off like a typical horror movie rather than something tragic. That said, the directors deserve credit for doing something different and not copying Mary Lambert's movie. Christopher Young's score is yet another Sinister-type soundscape horror score, I was hoping for something like The Uninvited / The Grudge.

Its not rushed to me at all. But it is an extremely bad film with many bad editorial choices. You are incorrect change from killing Gage to killing the Sister is just stupid. The ending is horrible. Worse we have to sit through parts of the ending in the beginning and ending destroying any chance the film would have in feeling like a tragedy. Lambert's film is bad but this is worse. Poor John Lithgow, a superior actor and comedian than Fred Gwynn but not in this horror drama. No wonder the makers of IT chp. 2 chose not to attach their trailer.

Shazam is not a perfect  yet it is easily the best DC film of the current era.

5 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

What about Titanic?

it was #1 at the boxoffic more weeks than all films ever, except for 1

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I’m surprised it doesn’t have a 4K release yet. 

Really? REALLY? The person who is resposible for this is currently directing and or producing sequels to Avatar, a direct sequel T2 that forgets 3,4, & 5, a proper Abyss Blu and 4K release, a possible proper True Lies Blu and 4k release, a possible Aliens 4K release. Where is there room for Titanic 4k?

17 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Will that optimize it for viewing on my phone and a Sony Trinitron?

Yes. 

7 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Really? REALLY? The person who is resposible for this is currently directing and or producing sequels to Avatar, a direct sequel T2 that forgets 3,4, & 5, a proper Abyss Blu and 4K release, a possible proper True Lies Blu and 4k release, a possible Aliens 4K release. Where is there room for Titanic 4k?

Honestly it should probably be a priority among the rest of those titles. 

11 hours ago, John said:

I imagine it and Avatar will get UHD releases when Avatar 2 comes out next year. 

Avatar was shot on 1080p (and, given filtering loses in the camera, the amount of fine-detail in the master is even less) so native 4K isn't possible.

Still, an upscale job could look quite good.

Are you sure it was shot in 1080? 

I would have figured Cameron would have used something that wasnt already a home video resolution in 2009.

Seeing at the vast majority of the film is CGI, it could actually be upgraded anyway, so it probably doesnt matter.

Quite sure: https://shotonwhat.com/avatar-2009

And remember, 1080p digital isn't even a full 1080p!

It'd be wierd if they redo the effects to a higher resolution than the live-action components. I don't think it'll happen.

It'll just be an upscale of the 1080p version, methinks.

Not that its such a bad thing: a good upscale can look very good indeed. Heck, Skyfall wasn't native 4K - it was shot on 3.4K digital (which, again, is less than true 3.4K) and blown up to 4K. Yet everybody loved it.

Avatar 2 is shooting on 6K digital, though.

Right, technically 1080p 3D is 1080p digital per-eye. Two cameras are used.

Besides, when you watch a film in 3D its harder to tell the resolution.

Its hard to tell 1080p and 4K apart in most home theaters, anyway. Even in IMAX, the issue with magnifying a smaller format has more to do with enlarging the grains rather than the picture not being detailed enough, so 1080p digital (which is grainless) holds up nicely even on very large screens.

Its better than a 35mm answer print, anyway.

Related image

THE OLD MAN AND THE GUN

The story of Forrest Tucker (Robert Redford), an old man who travelled across the United States robbing banks and stealing plenty of cash, all the time having a smile on his face and a sweet, polite air about him. Based on a true story, Tucker is quite an unexpected criminal- he's an old man, and a very nice one at that. There's a nice, refreshing easiness to the film, spearheaded by Redford's charming personality and supported by the lovely Sissy Spacek, who befriends Redford in a very lovely relationship, even though Tucker has lied to her countless times about his profession. 

Eventually, policeman John Hunt (a mumbly, moustached Casey Affleck) cracks down on him, but the smooth-moving Tucker is a genius at staying under the radar, much helped by his old age and appearance. And that's all for plot points from me.

Redford is a teddy bear, and he's very relaxing to watch.  

Daniel Hart's score is perfect for the film- an easy listening slow swing / jazz style with a good theme. I've listened to it a number of times outside the film, and I quite enjoy it.

CONSENSUAL STATEMENT: "The Old Man and the Gun feels a lot like a TV movie from the 70s- low stakes and some good fun."

RATING: *** and a half * out of *****

Avengers: Endgame

It's long, sometimes a little rough, occasionally surprising but fun. It's clearly well curated for the fans. Definitely more satisfying than the last one.

25 minutes ago, KK said:

Avengers: Endgame

Definitely more satisfying than the last one.

Interesting, I was going to say the opposite.

That final showdown isn't very good at all. I really like the Avengers films (especially the original) but I was quite dissappointed with this one.

*** out of *****

The last film was just the screen hopping from character to character, watchable mostly because of Brolin's Thanos. Everyone has some personality again in this one.