What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, Helter Skelter is even written by the "goodie" of the whole Manson story, from the perspective of his investigation. I thought that was the distinction you're making, but I wanted to be sure. Did The Godfather really kick off the trend?

Just now, Stefancos said:

They didn't make TV shows where serial killers, mafia bosses or drug dealers starred as the hero.

They portrayed Ted Bundy as a handsome charmer, not as a hero. 

The whole "handsome and charismatic" criticism sounds really dumb to me, honestly. If anything, it's really important to show that aspect of Bundy, or of anybody like him.

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Did The Godfather really kick off the trend?

More or less, yes. Although Bonnie and Clyde started it way earlier. Netflix's The Highwaymen restores the old-fashioned style again and shows how good decent men kill the evil Bonnie and Clyde. 

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

The whole "handsome and charismatic" criticism sounds really dumb to me, honestly. If anything, it's really important to show that aspect of Bundy, or of anybody like him.

You can show it but in the movie it's about the only thing they show. 

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

He used it very well. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

You can show it but in the movie it's about the only thing they show. 

So you're saying they almost gloss over the fact that the dude was a serial killer, with no "danger signs" to speak of? 

23 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

So you're saying they almost gloss over the fact that the dude was a serial killer, with no "danger signs" to speak of? 

If you didn't know any better, and his name wasn't Ted Bundy (but some fictional serial killer), this movie could almost make you doubt whether they didn't arrest the wrong man.

We need a John Wayne Gacy film. He was a much better serial killer who didn't need to rely on his looks.

MV5BZmM5Y2QzOGQtNTdjZS00NDVhLThkYjItZjZi

Watched it as a 3-part series, which might be not the right approach. Anyway, as you can see, it's movie about real men. 6/10

9 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

We need a John Wayne Gacy film. He was a much better serial killer who didn't need to rely on his looks.

Who's your all time favourite serial killer?

58 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Who's your all time favourite serial killer?

Gacy but  i am 1 degree removed from Gacy. 

Sloppy yet effective. Thankfully technology advances help hide the odors

His technique of hiding a dead body in a cement slab worked well but its much more fun hiding a live person in a cement slab. 

Anyone  watched Wandering Earth yet. Looks preposterous 

Still gonna  give it a try tyis weekend.

I just read some moronic review from this Zimbabwean film critic who said it is the most important film of our time. He Chastised America for ignoring it. Fuck we just learned about it. 

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Haha, I just heard about that movie yesterday. 

Cremeritis! You and JoeinAR even commented on my post. 

Clearly the Zimbabwean film critic was paid to make his comments. Maybe it was Chen reviewing the film. Wandering Earth is a truly horrible film. Taking it on each component it fails. The story is convoluted and preposterous. The idea that you could turn the earth into a massive rocket it's hard to grasp. The acting is all over the place but it's essentially comparable to a bad Japanese Godzilla film. The music is so cliched when there is need for a Hero theme they keep playing the same heroic musical moment. The technical effects are about a decade behind a western movie, the effects are by 2019 standards really mediocre. They do not understand motion and how things move. The camera work it's so amateurish. It's more like look what I can do with camera because the shots do not make any sense. Let's face it we've seen far too many overhead camera shots in the last 15 years. I recommend everyone watch thisn some people will like it. Chen will likely rave that it's far superior to Avengers endgame.

Seriously we should have let the Earth die if this is our fate.

4 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Maybe it was Chen reviewing the film.[...]Chen will most likely say it's far superior to Avengers endgame.

No.

Even then give it a try. I WANT people to see it.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum. Not sure if it's better or worse than the previous two. Probably a bit of both. As those films get bigger the action scenes become more varied and ridiculous. That is a plus. I'd like to learn how they did some of the sequences. Sadly, there is more plot too and I'm not sure whether that is a good thing in a film like this. Still, very entertaining for the most part and that's down to really solid filmmaking craft. Always enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek tone -- extremely violent but really humorous at the same time. And if you can't have Keanu Reeves deliver an award-winning performance you create a world in which his stilted acting feels truly at home. This was a really smart move, believe it or not. Might be the best thing in his career really. I'll probably see this again.

Karol

John Wick 3 - Keanu Reeves has himself a very enjoyable new-ish action franchise with these movies. The 'gun-fu'/action choreography in general in these is a dizzying joy to watch, and there's a nice streak of 'this is daft, but oh isn't it FUN?' underneath it (Wick's opponents taking time mid-scrap to tell him that they're 'big fans', for example).   

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I put Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse on for the kids this afternoon and ended up following it myself with them.

If all superhero movies were as inspired as this I'd watch them all. Only the third Spider-Man movie I've ever watched, I thought it was visually dazzling, and surely one of the finest superhero films ever made.

The style of animation was stunning, the direction an exercise in stirring verve and cool invention, and the soundtrack was absolutely wicked throughout. Certainly the most enjoyable superhero flick I've sat through since the original Kick-Ass, and I have no issues whatsoever calling this Spidey a modern classic.

It's like a Pixar meets manga Spider-Man man. Really heartfelt too. I absolutely loved it. 

Karol

33 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The narrative’s a bit scattered, though.

And I’ve had it up to here with self-reflexive, wink-and-nod movies.

Nah, you just hate fun. 

Godzilla: King of the Monsters. The story is completely ridiculous but I really enjoyed the monster bits. People disappointed there wasn't enough of this stuff in the 2014 film will be happy this one has plenty of monster action. As long as it sticks to that the film is entertaining. The human story...well... I'm glad they have more of an impact on the story events this time and they really try hard... but it's a bit of a mess. To waste Charles Dance like this is bit embarrassing. But it doesn't matter much as kaiju fights is what we want to see. And these deliver.

Karol

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - My only big problem was some of the character interactions and decisions, as is typical of these films, but otherwise I had a good time. Some of the monster action was extremely exhilarating and "off the wall", arguably maybe a bit too much, but the way they spread it out was really nice.

I especially loved McCreary's score. The use of Ifukube's classic Godzilla theme during the big battle between Godzilla and King Ghidorah just got me super pumped, and his Rodan theme definitely clearly has influences of Elliot Goldenthal to it. 

Also I wish these Godzilla films would learn the meaning of "monster fight during the day". All that heavy rain, and Ghidorah's whirlwind got old rather fast. - 7 / 10

Captain Marvel.

Well, it's certainly not bad, but I somehow don't feel the 'spark' that I used to feel when watching these movies, although it's still there when I rewatch the earlier entries. The movie has a few problems: the bad guys are British again, Ben Mendelsohn was a bit annoying, Annette Bening was simply terrible and there's still something about Jude Law that bugs me. The story is quite engaging, but because I already knew Carol wouldn't die, I couldn't really root for her. That doesn't mean Brie Larson isn't great most of the time, but the franchise needs to become a bit less convoluted now. I can't understand, for instance, why Goose still has the Tesseract. Didn't it come up in Infinity War or something? And is Ronan still alive? (Why do I keep thinking he's Thanos?) They've made so many of these that I can hardly remember what's happened to whom anymore.

Half of the things I read about the score were related to the fact that it was composed by a woman. A WOMAN! The fact that that's noteworthy says an awful lot about our society, but then again, I was also surprised and shocked by the me-too movement and the scandals it brought to the surface, so I'm clearly not in tune with attitudes towards women on this planet. I really liked the electronic instruments in the music and the finale has some great moments. The main theme could be a little better, but at least this music isn't as anonymous as all the stuff Silvestri has been producing for the Avengers.

Goose coughed up the Tesseract on Fury's desk in the post credits, Fury found it, had it cleaned, and stored, and then it sat until Avengers.

22 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Ah, okay! So who has it now (prior to Endgame?)? I honestly don't remember anything about this.

Thanos got it from Loki at the very beginning of Infinity War. It was stored safely in Asgard vault after the events of The Avengers. Loli snatched it for himself just before Asgard is destroyed in Thor: Ragnarok.

Karol

Jurassic World 2

At first I was outraged that no dinosaur-induced human deaths occurred until 90 minutes in, but then I remembered the three that died in the very beginning. 

Otherwise dumb but entertaining. A loose remake of The Lost World that proves nobody remembers what a bad idea it is taking dinos off the island. I was annoyed they said that Isla Nublar's volcano would make the dinosaurs extinct again until the lawyer baddie name dropped Isla Sorna, so they must have been eliminated between JP3 and Jurassic World 1, maybe? 

Daniela Pineda is hotter than hell and not seen enough in this. 

James Cromwell is wasted in this, but he's just a stand-in for Hammond. 

The plot thread of the little girl being a clone of the old woman is wasted.