What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Film is a craft. It occasionally will elevate to an artform.

And it looked  stupid because it was framed for TV's at the time.

Duel is a cheap tv movie with a strange cult like following. Undeservedly so imho. Its very good but not his best tv work.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I never said there wasn't a difference, but the end result is it is still a movie.

Whether a new movie premieres in theaters, on a broadcast network channel, on a basic cable channel, on a premium cable channel, or on a streaming service, all of these movies can be discussed in this thread.

Here here.

Also, since when was Joey a movie snob? Hahahaha

Actually I am stiring the pot. Jason likes everything in its place. Micro management at work. New movies old movies tv movies color movies black and white movies. We need more sub forums

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

Actually I am stiring the pot. Jason likes everything in its place. Micro management at work. New movies old movies tv movies color movies black and white movies. We need more sub forums

I literally just advocated for the opposite.  Less threads.  Nice try.

And a separate "Newer" and "Older" thread was KM's idea, not mine.  Again, nice try.

27 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Duel is a cheap tv movie 

And perfectly proves that talent is more important than money. 

I do not know the term. I saw Duel in 1981 or two and they closed the curtain to contain the narrow picture. 

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I do not know the term. I saw Duel in 1981 or two and they closed the curtain to contain the narrow picture. 

Academy ratio was the standard ratio for 35mm film before widescreen became popular. Films like King Kong where shot in it. At 1.375:1, it's basically identical to classic TV's 1.33:1 (4:3) (which apparently is the same as the standard ratio for silent films before the Academy standard).

I saw Rocketman yesterday and I thought it was generally very good, much better than Bohemian Rhapsody.

However, what I want to talk about is this: When Richard Madden first appeared and started talking, my first thought was Oh my God, that's the reincarnation of Robert Shaw! The accent, the tone, the mannerisms! Now I want Richard to play Robert in a biopic so bad.

I NEED IT

15 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I saw Rocketman yesterday and I thought it was generally very good, much better than Bohemian Rhapsody.

I haven't seen it, but maybe you prefer it because you love Elton more. 

16 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I haven't seen it, but maybe you prefer it because you love Elton more. 

Nah it is genuinely a better film. A lot of that has to do with the fact it's a very stylised and flamboyant take on biopic so any inaccuracies sort of don't matter.

Karol

Toy Story 4 - Color me impressed, Pixar did it again. As someone who's a big fan of the previous three flicks, this might be my favorite film in the whole franchise. It's so nice, and wonderfully done. Everything with Woody, Bo-Peep, and Forky was terrific, and the ending was incredibly effective and emotionally satisfying. - 9.5 / 10

I thought it was mostly a retread of past glories and the one interesting existential theme they introduced in this one... well it was interesting at first it soon becomes clear they never intended to tackle that in any depth and before long it's abandoned. 

Toy Story 1 is clearly the best. 2 is a lot of fun too. I loved 3 when it first came out but trying to watch it again just shows the magic was no longer there. Same applies here. Still, decent animated fun I suppose. 

I actually watched the first three for the very first time this weekend. Enjoyed them all but it's not something I'll be revisiting. I was curious as to how the fourth one will come into play given that the last one pretty much ended the story on a pretty high note.

Earlier today I watched the fourth one. It was...fine. Nicely made and mostly funny. But it wasn't as well paced as the previous three and didn't feel as heartfelt. 

Karol

On 6/18/2019 at 9:14 AM, Jay said:

I'm sorry you feel that way Joe, but those are real movies and should certainly be discussed here.  Sorry!

You have a Zelda thread AND a Nintendo thread AND a video game. If the old man and his little friend want a streaming TV thread, play ball. 

On 6/20/2019 at 1:37 PM, Tom said:

It definitely has better music. 

Not really. Elton has many great songs. 

I saw the Billy Joel/Elton John concert. Billy put on a better show that day. But Elton with just a piano was golden.

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody the other night, and as a pretty big Queen (and Freddie) fan I thought it was good enough but sadly lacking the sort of depth and detail I'd been hoping for. It felt like lip service, far too quickly skimming over key parts of the band's many highs and lows, or just ignoring major dramas/highlights in their career completely - foregoing a maturer biographical insight for more of a 'greatest hits' Sunday newspaper supplement CD sellotaped to the front of the magazine.

With that said, they did succeed in making an effective feelgood movie, with a really likeable lead performance; although I'll always wonder what kind of weight Sacha Baron Cohen might have brought to the part, regardless. Nonetheless, Rami Malek made it his own, by the end. In the film's second half, I essentially felt like I was watching Freddie Mercury. No mean feat.

By slight contrast to my own positive with reservations reaction to Bohemian Rhapsody, my wife who isn't particularly a fan of Queen's music (or rock in general), thought it was absolutely fabulous, and she even cried. Which is probably mission accomplished enough for Brian May and Roger Taylor, who had toiled for twelve years to get the thing made. 3.5 out of 5

anima.jpg

Anima

Paul Thomas Anderson's latest "music video" or "one-reeler" is a sumptuous 15-minute feast for the eyes. Conceptually, there isn't much that's new here (think: modern update on the 1984 narrative/aesthetic), but boy is it worth it to just see PTA have visual carte blanche. Choreography and cinematography are all aces. Too bad the music leaves you wanting...

Toy Story 4

8F6B671D-0A95-45D6-9CF5-0FB52881C097.jpeg

So yeah, it’s probably the weakest Toy Story film and one could argue is a stronger ending to the series. But it’s still a whole lot of fun and beautifully animated, with some very touching emotional moments and great comedy. Felt like an epilogue to the original three films. 

Also Forky is one of the best animated characters in recent memory. 

I cant wait for Toy Story 5. Andy's Revenge. Disney Pixar's  first animated slasher horror film.