What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Trekking out to the theater tonight to see Spider-man Far From Home!  I hope it's worth it!

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spider-Man: Far From Home

It's marginally better than Homecoming, but it's more of the same. Tom Holland is growing on me a bit, but he's still too hyperactive and zany in my opinion as the titular hero (he works much better in ensemble pics). I'm shocked Jake Gyllenhaal actually agreed to play the villain, he doesn't bring much flair or personality other than chewing the scenery near the end. Giacchino's score was enjoyable -- like the film itself, more playful and energetic. Although the film commits a grave sin by cutting down Marissa Tomei's screen time as the MILFy Aunt May.

Another thing that annoyed me is that the MCU Spidey films are constantly reminding the viewers "this isn't Raimi's Spider-man" in varying ways, except that

Spoiler

mid-credit scene has J.K. Simmons reprising his role as J. Jonah Jameson. That just made me pine for a Raimi-directed Spider-man 4 all the more.

Toy Story 4

I was really surprised by how much I liked this one.  A major return to form for the series after 3.  I thought the jokes, setting, general plot, pacing, and color scheme were big improvements over the last movie.

aster.jpg

Midsommar

So, this Aster fellow is clearly the real deal. Midsommar is arguably a slower burn than its predecessor (Hereditary), but it's the more ambitious and fulfilling work. People seeking quick thrills and zingers should probably not bother. This is not a Joe or Drax kind of film. Instead, the film uses beauty (and boy is it a beautiful looking film) to lull you into a kind of comfort that makes digesting all its disturbing and twisted perversions all the more painful by the end. Brilliantly shot, written, edited and scored, on top of all which it has a great sense of humour to boot. If anything, it could use some trimming in its setup, but I don't mind. The elaborate world-building really pays off anyway. And yes, Wicker Man is clearly a template, and there are some familiar tropes, but it's by and large its own beautiful thing. Best film I've seen so far this year...though I'm not sure that says much.

Dunno about Midsommar ... apart from the major shock it pulled off half-an-hour in, I wasn't that keen on Hereditary. Also, although I get why it's been released now ('festival season' and all that) I think something feels kinda 'off' about releasing a horror at the height of summer.  

6 hours ago, KK said:

aster.jpg

Midsommar

So, this Aster fellow is clearly the real deal. Midsommar is arguably a slower burn than its predecessor (Hereditary), but it's the more ambitious and fulfilling work. People seeking quick thrills and zingers should probably not bother. This is not a Joe or Drax kind of film. Instead, the film uses beauty (and boy is it a beautiful looking film) to lull you into a kind of comfort that makes digesting all its disturbing and twisted perversions all the more painful by the end. Brilliantly shot, written, edited and scored, on top of all which it has a great sense of humour to boot. If anything, it could use some trimming in its setup, but I don't mind. The elaborate world-building really pays off anyway. And yes, Wicker Man is clearly a template, and there are some familiar tropes, but it's by and large its own beautiful thing. Best film I've seen so far this year...though I'm not sure that says much.

Looks like Croc's kind of film though. I'm planning on seeing this on Saturday.

Karol

46 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I think something feels kinda 'off' about releasing a horror at the height of summer.  

That’s why you do it!

13 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

My two favourite horrors of recent-ish years are The Babadook and Get Out, whatever that says about me. 

*Shrugs*  

Enjoyed those plus Hereditary. Someone please pigeonhole me next! Distill everything about my character and my taste in an entire medium based on 3 movies!

Saw Yesterday last weekend, eh it was alright - My review - https://www.dailyuv.com/profile/2232/981131

Also saw Spider-Man: Far From Home and really enjoyed it, especially due to Gyllenhaal as Mysterio. My review as well - https://www.dailyuv.com/profile/2232/981174

Agree on Yesterday, it was just okayish, got mostly what I wanted out of it, though. 

I agree it was a good, funny call to have the alternate universe lose a bunch of things, instead of just The Beatles. I was distracted at first by the “Why The Beatles?” question but it was fine enough for the fantasy whimsy that the cultural victims were completely random. I accepted that but it also just turned it into a very superficial experience. 

Spoiler

I sort of figured by the end that the mysterious man and woman were just Beatles fans who somehow also remembered them. It was touching that they were just happy to hear the music. I also liked that Jack uploaded the songs for free at the end.

Did not care for how the love story wrapped up, kinda didn’t want them to end up together and it made no sense for her to just leave her bf who seemed like a pretty great dude and she didn’t seem unhappy with in the slightest. Another really poorly written female love interest with no inner life except pining for the main character. I think it would have been better for Jack to have lost Ellie over this but grateful for her love and friendship etc and let him be at peace with the whole thing.

And I’m not sure I really liked that John was still alive. I don’t know, it’s impossible to avoid but it really exposes the implications of the otherwise cute premise. I think it might have been better for the film if John, Paul, George, Ringo just never existed at all? That’s basically what I was okay assuming and not thinking about it too hard as long as the film wasn’t going to address it, but then having John Lennon and now presumably the other three living some blissfuly unaware “common” lives while seemingly everyone around them is unaffected? I felt ok ignoring those sorts of personal questions when it was just focused on objects and products even though you know something must have happened to all the people behind them, but when you literally introduce a real guy who died and now is still alive with a completely alternate life (whereas every other character has been exactly the same minus some cultural memory) it definitely falls apart. It just opened up some pretty deep world-building issues that they obviously weren’t prepared to explore for a light comedy, and it just felt pandering and kind of offensive to have sweet little 78-year-old John hanging out at the beach unaware of his gifts and the life he lead. We’re just supposed to be happy he’s old, like the movie’s saying they made the perfect world where the Beatles music (sort of) exists but also John Lennon wasn’t murdered. It kind of made him look like an idiot.

That said, holy shit, looked just like him lol! I can’t believe that was Robert Carlyle.

On 7/6/2019 at 3:29 PM, crocodile said:

Midsommar. It was the first film in my lifetime that I ever walked out of. That's surprising even to me. Not because it was bad, mind you. In fact I'd say it is beautifully made. It is definitely quite a cinematic experience. But I made a huge mistake of going to see it in a very vulnerable emotional state. I was somewhat unsettled by something else and exhausted after a night out and I experienced something that I can only describe as a panic attack. Never happened to me before and it really took me by surprise. So I had to leave about 90-100 minutes in. It was interesting but I probably won't attempt to watch it ever again.

Karol

Sorry you had a rough experience mate.

Honestly, the prologue itself took the wind out of me.

After that, it starts to feel more safe and familiar, but underneath all the horror tropes and beautiful dressing, there's something awfully emotionally disturbing, or rather claustrophobic about it all. It's the way the film deals with trauma rather than the horror itself that makes it kind of sick.

Based on what I have read about Yesterday, it seems they kind of dropped the ball with it.  Kind of a waste of one of the best premises I have ever read.  At any rate, circumstances have prevented me from getting to the theater on time to see it.

As for Midsommar, ads for which have been bombarding me, that kind of movie is not my cup of tea at all.  Too macabre.  I mean, the world can be a nasty place, but it's nice to have some hope about things.

36 minutes ago, KK said:

It's the way the film deals with trauma rather than the horror itself that makes it kind of sick.

Yes! And all of that is channelled through Florence Pugh's performance. Because she's so good it all felt somehow too real.

The film itself was very well made. Which in a way makes it so much worse.

Karol

On 7/6/2019 at 5:48 PM, Koray Savas said:

I keep hearing that the third act takes it to an entirely different level out of no where. 

The last 30 minutes are genuinely WTF and some genuine nightmare fuel. That said, the movie is darkly funny (especially one character's facial reactions during such WTF scene).

I thought Midsommar was ambitious but it could've been paced a bit tighter. But it is gorgeously shot and the production design was impeccable.

On 7/4/2019 at 8:03 AM, KK said:

aster.jpg

Midsommar

I really doubt you have an understanding of the films I like. However you can continue with your platitudes towards these types of films. Im sure there is an audience for them. However I had previously stated this film seemed more likely to interest me. Though your comparing it to the awful Wicker Man puts me in doubt.

12 hours ago, Matt C said:

I thought Midsommar was ambitious but it could've been paced a bit tighter. 

But wouldn't that sacrifice mood & expression in favour for 'let's get the story going'?

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

I really doubt you have an understanding of the films I like. However you can continue with your platitudes towards these types of films. Im sure there is an audience for them. However I had previously stated this film seemed more likely to interest me. Though your comparing it to the awful Wicker Man puts me in doubt.

If I recall correctly, you didn't respond too kindly to Hereditary, so I presumed this wouldn't be your cup of tea, as it expands on much of that film's most trying virtues. If you end up enjoying it, no one's more happy to be wrong than I friend.

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

Joe, the remake is awful, but the original THE WICKER MAN is a stone cold classic.

No. It isn't.  I never saw the remake btw.

@Fancyarcher thank you for your film reviews. They are a treat as i appreciate your personal take on film reviewing. 

43 minutes ago, Richard said:

Joe, the remake is awful, but the original THE WICKER MAN is a stone cold classic.

I don't think I've seen it but I know it's regarded very highly. I saw the remake which is a joke.

23 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Based on what I have read about Yesterday, it seems they kind of dropped the ball with it.  Kind of a waste of one of the best premises I have ever read.  At any rate, circumstances have prevented me from getting to the theater on time to see it.

It sort of depends what you’re looking for out of it. They got a lot of comic mileage out of it but not much of a story. Agreeable enough farce, probably could have used a little more Andrew Niccol-esque speculation and satire.

5 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

NOT THE BEES!

There used to be this brilliant edit of all the best scenes expertly matched to Carter Burwell’s Raising Arizona. It was taken off YouTube years ago though. Wish I had saved it. 

On 7/7/2019 at 3:02 PM, mrbellamy said:

Agree on Yesterday, it was just okayish, got mostly what I wanted out of it, though. 

I agree it was a good, funny call to have the alternate universe lose a bunch of things, instead of just The Beatles. I was distracted at first by the “Why The Beatles?” question but it was fine enough for the fantasy whimsy that the cultural victims were completely random. I accepted that but it also just turned it into a very superficial experience. 

Hide contents

I sort of figured by the end that the mysterious man and woman were just Beatles fans who somehow also remembered them. It was touching that they were just happy to hear the music. I also liked that Jack uploaded the songs for free at the end.

Did not care for how the love story wrapped up, kinda didn’t want them to end up together and it made no sense for her to just leave her bf who seemed like a pretty great dude and she didn’t seem unhappy with in the slightest. Another really poorly written female love interest with no inner life except pining for the main character. I think it would have been better for Jack to have lost Ellie over this but grateful for her love and friendship etc and let him be at peace with the whole thing.

And I’m not sure I really liked that John was still alive. I don’t know, it’s impossible to avoid but it really exposes the implications of the otherwise cute premise. I think it might have been better for the film if John, Paul, George, Ringo just never existed at all? That’s basically what I was okay assuming and not thinking about it too hard as long as the film wasn’t going to address it, but then having John Lennon and now presumably the other three living some blissfuly unaware “common” lives while seemingly everyone around them is unaffected? I felt ok ignoring those sorts of personal questions when it was just focused on objects and products even though you know something must have happened to all the people behind them, but when you literally introduce a real guy who died and now is still alive with a completely alternate life (whereas every other character has been exactly the same minus some cultural memory) it definitely falls apart. It just opened up some pretty deep world-building issues that they obviously weren’t prepared to explore for a light comedy, and it just felt pandering and kind of offensive to have sweet little 78-year-old John hanging out at the beach unaware of his gifts and the life he lead. We’re just supposed to be happy he’s old, like the movie’s saying they made the perfect world where the Beatles music (sort of) exists but also John Lennon wasn’t murdered. It kind of made him look like an idiot.

That said, holy shit, looked just like him lol! I can’t believe that was Robert Carlyle.

Now I took that as,

Spoiler

As a man who thought he was John Lennon, or at least looked enough like John Lennon. I never got the impression that the film was 100% committed to the idea, and it was more of a fun idea and Easter egg, that just was kinda randomly placed in the film. I think it sorta reveals the biggest flaw of the movie for me, it never takes its neat concept 100% to its fullest, when you think it'll do something daring, it feels like it's pulling back the curtain a bit. 

I didn't mind the romance, but it did feel short-horned in, but that might just be because of how I much like Lily James, I'll freely admit. I did it was a bit odd how he was obsessed with her that he would just follow her to school, without considering what her students might think.

However I will say I was impressed that was Robert Carlyle as "Lennon". I didn't even realize it was him, until I looked up the film online. Either he's aged terribly, or the makeup on him is incredible.

Spoiler

Hmmmm might have to see it again or at least rewatch that scene when it's inevitably on streaming/YouTube. It's a pretty pivotal dramatic moment, though, I didn't take it as just an Easter egg and don't recall any dialogue or anything that made it out like this wasn't really supposed to be the man...I just browsed through some Danny Boyle interviews and seems like the idea is that it's definitely supposed to be him. They said Yoko Ono liked it so that's nice, anyway. I just thought it was kind of icky, I really wanted to love it but made me kinda uncomfortable.

On 7/3/2019 at 8:58 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Toy Story 4

I was really surprised by how much I liked this one.  A major return to form for the series after 3.  I thought the jokes, setting, general plot, pacing, and color scheme were big improvements over the last movie.

Really I thought it was beautiful to look at but was no where as enjoyable as 3 which for me is the best.

MV5BMjQ4NDEzYTctNDFlMS00OWY5LTg3MjctMjBm

Fairly interesting docu about Bob Lazar. This guy feels like he's telling the truth ... but we all know there are no aliens, right?

I have always believed we are not alone even before close Encounters

27 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Really I thought it was beautiful to look at but was no where as enjoyable as 3 which for me is the best.

I just hate the daycare jailbreak middle act so much.  The garish purple-yellow color scheme, the gross out poopy/drool humor, and it feels like it's just there to kill time until the climax.

I like Ken though.