What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/4/2019 at 8:03 AM, KK said:

aster.jpg

Midsommar

So, this Aster fellow is clearly the real deal. Midsommar is arguably a slower burn than its predecessor (Hereditary), but it's the more ambitious and fulfilling work. People seeking quick thrills and zingers should probably not bother. This is not a Joe or Drax kind of film. Instead, the film uses beauty (and boy is it a beautiful looking film) to lull you into a kind of comfort that makes digesting all its disturbing and twisted perversions all the more painful by the end. Brilliantly shot, written, edited and scored, on top of all which it has a great sense of humour to boot. If anything, it could use some trimming in its setup, but I don't mind. The elaborate world-building really pays off anyway. And yes, Wicker Man is clearly a template, and there are some familiar tropes, but it's by and large its own beautiful thing. Best film I've seen so far this year...though I'm not sure that says much.

Its getting a 30 minute extended release. It was heading for an nc17 with all that Jack Raynor dick shots. 

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

ENDGAME has just nine million more dollars to earn, worldwide, before it overtakes those fucking smurfs as the #1 film of all time. Go, guys!

More like 7.2 million. ;)

Karol

22 hours ago, Richard said:

ENDGAME has just nine million more dollars to earn, worldwide, before it overtakes those fucking smurfs as the #1 film of all time. Go, guys!

I like Both movies and its kinda retarded to call them smurfs since they don't  look like them.

And it should be noted that when adjust for inflation its never going to actually catch it. 

Watched Yesterday 2 days ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the idea that there exists a world where John Lennonexists.

Watched a couple of black female remakes of white male films in Little and What Men Want. Laughed enough and awed a few times to get my moneys worth. 

Then watched Greta, a disturbing film for anyone who has been or knows someone who has been stalked in such a manner. 

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

No but I want to. Supposed to be an actually good maneater flick.

I guess I will go early Friday

Blame the Brits for our guns.  I haven't thought og Policd Woman in years.

Saw Crawl today. It is a fine summer B film. Its full of jumps and cringe worthy moments.

On critic criticizes the film for not examining why there are -Cat 5 hurricanes as if they are common. Fucking Retard.

The movie smartly focuses on Survival.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:36 PM, Koray Savas said:

It has Barry Pepper, which is always a good thing. 

So by that token, he improves this schlock:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I loved every second of this movie but came away thinking it didn’t add up to a transcendent whole.  Definitely worth seeing although I’m honestly not sure what can be gotten out of it if you’re not interested in the history of Hollywood, Los Angeles, and entertainment media generally of this era.  I am, so I like it.

It’s for sure the least plotty movie he’s ever made.

But I can’t get on board any review that implicitly or explicitly says that Django isn’t a masterpiece (or at least a trashterpiece ;)).  I love that movie completely.

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I loved every second of this movie but came away thinking it didn’t add up to a transcendent whole.  Definitely worth seeing although I’m honestly not sure what can be gotten out of it if you’re not interested in the history of Hollywood, Los Angeles, and entertainment media generally of this era.  I am, so I like it.

It doesn't have to be transcendental. I too loved it. Loved the stinger in the end credits and the customary line at the end that said No animals were harmed in the making of this movie but hippies....

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

It doesn't have to be transcendental. I too loved it. Loved the stinger in the end credits and the customary line at the end that said No animals were harmed in the making of this movie but hippies....

The three main themes of this movie: the pain of aging, the importance of male friendships, and fucking hippies ruined everything.

The Lion King (2019)

The most cynical cash-grab remake I've ever witnessed. Other than money, there was zero reason to remake the 1994 film from a storytelling perspective. The stunning photorealistic animation only goes so far (the "Circle of Life" sequence is shot-for-shot recreated from the original film) and after 30 minutes the novelty wears off. The film follows the SAME story beats and recreates many iconic scenes to lesser effect. JD McCrary and Donald Glover did an excellent job taking the reins as Simba, didn't like Chiwetl Ejiofor's take on Scar, hated Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen's Timon and Pumbaa. It's bewildering Jon Favreau bent over backwards to get Beyonce to voice Nala, she didn't make much of an impression at all.

Zero reason to see this unless your kids absolutely insist. Stick with the 1994 film instead.

lionking.jpg

The Lion King (2019)

Not awful. Just...pointless. On IMAX, the gorgeous African backdrops take your breath away. And yet Pride Rock has never looked stranger. The beauty of the original film is that the indulgence in its visual artistry, over-the-top cartoonish characterizations and exuberant songs led to the fantasy of it all. Clearly a nearly beat-for-beat remake of the same concept with uber-photorealism in mind just doesn't work. For all the singing, dancing, and wise-crack lines, the whole thing feels remarkably lifeless. Because of course, animals just don't behave this way. The only characters that seem to work are Mufasa and Scar, where Jones' bravado and Ejitifor's more subtle performances seem to gel more with the primal physicality of the lions. When you have more varied characterizations like Simba and Nala, you just hear Glover and Beyoncé reading lines into a recording booth, pasted on top of CG walking animals.

Maybe this whole thing might have worked better if they committed to a darker, more animalistic interpretation of the story. Shakespeare in the wild. But that wouldn't have been nearly as lucrative for Disney.

One thing it did do for me is remind me how glorious Zimmer's score is...though the idea of this recording is as artistically bankrupt as the film itself anyway...

Boy erased (2018)

Very interesting movie, very sad and deep.  I was curious about those "gay conversion therapy program" (Canada federal government now wants to criminalize them).

It's deep and very serious, not sensationalist at all. How parents can do that to their child? With Nicole Kidman and Russel Crowe.

It have great music that goes well with the movie too.

I'm happy to see they can still do great movies.

:up:

v1.bjsyMDE3NjYwO2o7MTgyMDM7MTIwMDszMDAwO

10 hours ago, KK said:

lionking.jpg

The Lion King (2019)

Not awful. Just...pointless. On IMAX, the gorgeous African backdrops take your breath away. And yet Pride Rock has never looked stranger. The beauty of the original film is that the indulgence in its visual artistry, over-the-top cartoonish characterizations and exuberant songs led to the fantasy of it all. Clearly a nearly beat-for-beat remake of the same concept with uber-photorealism in mind just doesn't work. For all the singing, dancing, and wise-crack lines, the whole thing feels remarkably lifeless. Because of course, animals just don't behave this way. The only characters that seem to work are Mufasa and Scar, where Jones' bravado and Ejitifor's more subtle performances seem to gel more with the primal physicality of the lions. When you have more varied characterizations like Simba and Nala, you just hear Glover and Beyoncé reading lines into a recording booth, pasted on top of CG walking animals.

Maybe this whole thing might have worked better if they committed to a darker, more animalistic interpretation of the story. Shakespeare in the wild. But that wouldn't have been nearly as lucrative for Disney.

One thing it did do for me is remind me how glorious Zimmer's score is...though the idea of this recording is as artistically bankrupt as the film itself anyway...

Shame Rock

Ben is back.

With Julia Roberts and... hey that’s the same nobody actor who plays in « Boy Erased ». Is he in every movie?

Oh yes, Lucas Hedges is the "it" guy right now. Manchester By The Sea, Lady Bird, Three Billboards, Boy Erased, Mid90s, Honey Boy...

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - it's very entertaining, if overlong and a sense that it's more a string of vignettes than anything else (not the first time I've felt that way about a Tarantino flick). Leo and Brad make for an excellent pairing, there's a lot of humour and (as DiCaprio's Rick Dalton tearfully contemplates his washed-up future) some heart too. 

Spoiler

As for the controversy over the closing acts of violence ... eh. The relish and cruelty that the Manson Family's murders were carried out with are well documented, so a fantasised version of similar happening to them doesn't bother me at all.

Glad I had read about (and therefore hung around for) the little extra bit in the end credits (Tarantino goes Marvel, lol) - it's a fun thing that ties Once Upon ... to several of QT's previous flicks. 

My wife wanted to watch Justice League..... I’d seen bits and pieces to know how bad it was.

What an awful, shoddy, half assed production. The Snyder “cut” must be absolute shit.

Elfman’s score is the only positive thing,  while not as good his Ultron material, it’s still enjoyable to listen to away from the film.

3 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Elfman’s score is the only positive thing,  while not as good his Ultron material, it’s still enjoyable to listen to away from the film.

A lot of film score fans feel very much the opposite. What makes it enjoyable for you Mark?

I’m not even wasting my time with the Lion King, my kids managed to make me sick and tired of the original release back in the 90’s so no need to torment myself.

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

A lot of film score fans feel very much the opposite. What makes it enjoyable for you Mark?

I’m not musically educated enough to give you a detailed explanation but for one, I actually enjoyed hearing a good theme for Batman.

I found it fun to listen to, compared to the generic sounding editions from the previous Snyder films. Elfman’s themes are far more catchier than the previous ones as well.

20 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

My wife wanted to watch Justice League..... I’d seen bits and pieces to know how bad it was.

What an awful, shoddy, half assed production. The Snyder “cut” must be absolute shit.

But... but... He was supposed to be the second coming! (according to a few peeps on the internet)