What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

I really hate to criticize Snyder on this one due to what happened to him away from the film, but the fact they did more reshoots as opposed to Whedon just coming in to wrap up the film and nurse it through post production speaks volumes.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, El Jefe said:

True, but the father in me couldn’t imagine losing a child. 

But you’re right. 

I don't have the privilege, of being a father, so I'll just have to use my imagination. 

I mean no disrespect to Synder. Perhaps what happened before his child died had an affect on his work. If "blame" is to be apportioned, it should be toward Warner Bros. for not shutting down production, and not letting Snyder grieve, and return to complete what he started, but I guess that the mighty $ rules.

Oh I wasn’t interpreting your comments as disrespectful. 

Given how crappy his first two DC films were, I can’t imagine his JL version being any better and apparently neither did his bosses. But part of me feels bad for him.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-and-Brad-Pitt%E2%80%99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Less a film, and more of a loose series of self-masturbatory vignettes of late-60s Hollywood. And while you can usually rely on Tarantino's over-indulgence to at least offer an entertaining romp, I don't think it's ever been so painfully obvious that a bunch of scenes were assembled together just to remind us how "cool" hippies on acid, hitch-hiking Manson gang members, neon signs, vintage cars and old TV Westerns were. Every now and then, you get a glimpse at a Tarantino that might have finally grown up (some of DiCaprio's existential crisis showed surprising maturity), though it's quickly undone by its predictable finale.

Anyways, the film just really lacks structure and rhythm, which robs it of its potential for meaning. It had some good scenes (i.e. the Manson ranch scene with Pitt) and captures seedy Hollywood of the time well, but ends up coming across as much ado about nothing.

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

... but actually enjoyed Batman v Superman. 

Me too ... that is, until Bats finds out Supes' mother is called Martha too.

Oh almost forgot... I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yesterday. And the fact I forgot to mention should tell you just how impressed I was. It was very so-so. Good in places but mostly meandering and overlong. 

Karol

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You guys are odd. 2009 was probably his best year, and 2015 redeemed him after the merely ok-ish 2012.

You are odd too. Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained are masterpieces and it is correct to say that something has changed after that. And that is hardly just a matter of opinion. Had he quit film business after 2012 his status as a flawless directing legend would have had a fair chance. Not any more. The H8ful Eight and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood are both lingering in the shade of his prior work.

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I like Jackie Brown

Which is quite different from his usual joints. It's probably the least favourite amongst Tarantino teens.

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Inglorious Basterds 

3. Django Unchained

4. Kill Bill vol. 1

5. Jackie Brown

6. Kill Bill vol. 2

7. The Hateful Eight

8. Reservoir Dogs

9. Death Proof

10. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

1-7 may not all be masterpieces, but all of them are mostly at least riotously entertaining. Death Proof was quite terrible if not for the terrific car chase. Hollywood is a bore from start to end. Impossible to fathom this was made by Tarantino. 

And yes, I count Kill Bill as two movies. 

1 Inglorious Basterds

2 Pulp Fiction

3 Jackie Brown

4 Reservoir Dogs

5 Kill Bill

6 Hateful Eight

7 Django Unchained

8 Death Proof

Haven't seen Hollywood yet

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Jackie Brown

4. Reservoir Dogs

5. Kill Bill

6. Django Unchained

7. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

8. Hateful Eight

9. Death Proof

Death Proof is actually one if my favourites. Probably because it feels honest about its trashiness. Inglorious Basterds being the exact opposite and therefore my least favourite.

Karol

I liked Hollywood more than all of you.  I was taken off guard by the ending, not the final violent sequence, but the very very end as I was thinking there'd be a bit more to go.  I thought it was pretty masterful all around.  DiCaprio especially was extraordinary.  I could live inside that movie.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Death Proof is actually one if my favourites. Probably because it feels honest about its trashiness. Inglorious Basterds being the exact opposite and therefore my least favourite.

IB at least has not these pointless everyman scenes DiCaprio has to act out in OuatiH. I still wonder why QT thought it a swell idea let us revel in basic afternoon drama class stuff like that.

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

IB at least has not these pointless everyman scenes DiCaprio has to act out in OuatiH. I still wonder why QT thought it a swell idea let us revel in basic afternoon drama class stuff like that.

Because Tarantino was more interested in chewing on and winking at old Hollywood scenery...

The whole thing does world-building well, but forgets that it has to function well as a film first.

With that being said, I thought some of the DiCaprio material teased at an older, maybe wiser Tarantino.

14 minutes ago, KK said:

Because Tarantino was more interested in chewing on and winking at old Hollywood scenery...

The whole thing does world-building well, but forgets that it has to function well as a film first.

With that being said, I thought some of the DiCaprio material teased at an older, maybe wiser Tarantino.

Still, what we got here was an ordinary character with very ordinary problems. In this context, it just doesn't seem to bring much to the table - if i read the archetype shit right. The scenes with Pitt and DiCaprio played better than his single ones. But in the end, we all sat there and asked ourselves 'why did we watch this?' (also see: the half-hearted characterization of Robbie/Tate..why bother, honestly?)

The film isn’t cryptic. It has a clear message about violence and media. Its timing was actually perfect with Trump’s denouncement of the entertainment industries.

It also moves at its own pace. It revels in the production design and atmosphere. It wants to place you in that aesthetic. I think it achieves that very well. I just didn’t find it as engaging as his tighter scripts. 

Also sounds like an excuse to showboat production design at the expense of structure and a solid script.

The writing just needed to be a lot tighter and focused to earn that final beat.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't think Basterds is dishonest about its trashiness. I think trashiness is only one aspect of some parts of the film, and those are honest about it. I certainly don't consider the opening sequence trashy, and I don't think the Waltz character is trashy (eccentric, yes, and deliberately goofy in a seriously menacing way). That's why I have less regard for Django, too: Both the film and the Waltz character feel too one-sidedly trashy to me.

There's also a strong artistic aspect to the film, including the cinematography (the best in a Tarantino film) and the use of music (especially, unlike in most Tarantinos, "actual" (if not original) underscore for great dramatic effect), and a real tension to those scenes that go for it (Laurent is just as brilliant as Waltz in their cafe confrontation).

What I perhaps admire most about it is something that very few films (that I've seen) achieve: It very convincingly includes sequences in another language that feel like they were actually made in their respective country. The German sequences definitely feel like authentic German cinema, and I get the same vibe from the French bits (but I'm not familiar enough with French cinema to be the best judge of that). Very few other films that pull this off come to mind; The Third Man is one of them.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, publicist said:

It also does not make much sense. And with that final scene, it better should.

The finale is the only time in cinema I wanted to break the seat in front of me out of pure wrath. The eversion of history that Tarantino did so brilliantly in Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained was much more than just inappropriate here. What a disappointing and disgusting ending, it drove me nuts!

As for the rest of the film: I really accepted the hang-out-pace that we know from Jackie Brown already. However, the whole concept and script feel very simple. Like The H8ful Eight, the film is all that we already know from the director minus the brilliance and innovation of many of his preceding works.

17 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

What a disappointing and disgusting ending, it drove me nuts!

I don’t see anything wrong with

Spoiler

imagining a world Sharon Tate lived.  A world where Polanski wasn’t emotionally destroyed, who knows how his life would’ve gone...you know what I mean.