What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

The old Tim Curry version was arguably more competent in that regard. 

God knows why user Joey gets a hard-on for this remake, though. It's a clearcut 3 starrer.

I didn't find Curry overly scary (given his reputation on the effectivo-meter) which, i think, had to do with the less-than-classy staging (it all looks kind of drab). The new version has more gorgeous photography and some very frightening scenes, but you have to turn down the volume to experience them. I swear overloud and too-elaborate sfx ruin horror movies nowadays because every scare sounds like Disney's Haunted Mansion. A modicum of quiet goes a long way and IT never shut up (i had to turn the volume down several times when i saw it on Netflix).

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Will never understand why some people complain about a 2-3 hour runtime for a film, but then will binge 6 episodes of an hour long series. 

Indeed. Must say I don't do that either, though.

It's quite simple really, at least to me: a TV episode is generally a conveniently digestible 30min - 1hr compact viewing session. A film though, designed to been seen in one viewing, and for my own preference, best experienced that way, can be anything upwards of 90mins all the way up to 3hrs+. Thus, not "conveniently digestible". 

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never done a 6hr binge for anything. 

Very true.

Plus, unless its a TV cut of the film, movies are meant for - first and foremost - a theatrical release. The pace in a theater, where the experience is more immersive and overbearing, has to be quicker.

On TV, especially in your own living room or bed, you can digest much longer and more leisurely-paced pieces.

Yes, I'll never understand the people who can watch films, let alone TV series on their phone!

Cinemas, however, are a mixed bag - sometimes it's great to feel the energy and buzz in a room when the film can sway an audience, the rest of the time it's people who like to talk during the film, texting, on social media, kicking your seat, rustling loud packaging - it's disgusting.  

39 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never done a 6hr binge for anything. 

My brother's friend binges anime for that long and watches it at 2x speed. Not really watching at that point.

Just now, Chen G. said:

While I don't watch films on my phone, I do think that a truly good film works regardless of viewing conditions. It'll just suck you in.

I'm with Spielberg on this one, the theatre is where one should experience a film, and most of that experience is a visual one. You lose so much detail on a small phone screen.

14 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I'm with Spielberg on this one, the theatre is where one should experience a film, and most of that experience is a visual one. You lose so much detail on a small phone screen.

Not on a HD screen.

17 minutes ago, Arpy said:

My stance on the subject is more complicated. I agree that films should first and foremost function as a theatrical release. I often see a film at home where I enjoy the pace, but fully acknowledge it'd be all wrong in a theater, which is a fault with the movie even though it doesn't really influence my experience of watching it on my TV screen.

However, when a film is designed to be such a "big screen experience" that it simply cannot maintain its impact on a smaller screen, I think that's equally a fault with the film. Good films needn't require pre-requisites to be enjoyed, and that extends to the format in which a film is viewed. Plus, there's no end to this line of thought. Soon, watching in a theater won't be enough for certain movies, and people will say "well, you have to watch it in IMAX to really 'get' it."

After all, beyond a film's theatrical lifespan, its true staying power is going to stem from TV and streaming. I'm sure everyone here had their fair share of TV film-viewing experiences (certainly in the case of older classics) which were among their most powerful and formative.

And lastly, there is something to be said for the intimacy of watching a film in the comfort of your own home, either alone or with familiar company of friends and/or family. Some movies really benefit from that treatment. I don't think the glory of The Return of the King sunk into my mind until after its theatrical run, when I saw it on TV.

I have a 72'' screen and I can't really appreciate Interstellar the same as I did when I saw it in theatres. It loses something when it's reduced in scale.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

My stance on the subject is more complicated. I agree that films should first and foremost function as a theatrical release. I often see a film at home where I enjoy the pace, but fully acknowledge it'd be all wrong in a theater, which is a fault with the movie even though it doesn't really influence my experience of watching it on my TV screen.

However, when a film is designed to be such a "big screen experience" that it simply cannot maintain its impact on a smaller screen, I think that's equally a fault with the film. Good films needn't require pre-requisites to be enjoyed, and that extends to the format in which a film is viewed. Plus, there's no end to this line of thought. Soon, watching in a theater won't be enough for certain movies, and people will say "well, you have to watch it in IMAX to really 'get' it."

After all, beyond a film's theatrical lifespan, its true staying power is going to stem from TV and streaming. I'm sure everyone here had their fair share of TV film-viewing experiences (certainly in the case of older classics) which were among their most powerful and formative.

And lastly, there is something to be said for the intimacy of watching a film in the comfort of your own home, either alone or with familiar company of friends and/or family. Some movies really benefit from that treatment. I don't think the glory of The Return of the King sunk into my mind until after its theatrical run, when I saw it on TV.

10 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

There's some really dumb things in this mess of a text!

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There's some really dumb things in this mess of a text!

Are you referring to this part? :)

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I often see a film at home where I enjoy the pace, but fully acknowledge it'd be all wrong in a theater, which is a fault with the movie even though it doesn't really influence my experience of watching it on my TV screen.

17 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I don't think the glory of The Return of the King sunk into my mind until after its theatrical run, when I saw it on TV.

That's probably because the bad special effects are less obvious on TV. :)

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

when a film is designed to be such a "big screen experience" that it simply cannot maintain its impact on a smaller screen-

Special effects heavy blockbusters are exceptions because the literal size of the image can be profoundly impactful, simply by virtue of the visuals being displayed on a great frickin' big screen. But I see what you're saying in regards to dramas or whatever else. A good horror or thriller for example, is really best when it feels intimate, and seen in isolation. 

I saw It: Chapter 2 today, or as it should be known: “Jump Scare: The Movie”.

It’s more or less the same movie as the first one, except the kids are adults now, and they introduce some convoluted ritual nonsense.

It was almost 3 hours long and it felt it. I thought it was never going to end.

Bill Hader was great.

3 hours ago, KK said:

Ford v Ferrari

Not quite the thriller that the trailer promised. It's your average, sentimental sports flick, just with fancy cars and Christian Bale. It's perfectly watchable and handsomely produced but pretty vanilla. Bale's quirky performance and some fun race sequences make it a decent ride.

I saw some good buzz about Beltrami’s score.  Anything you remember about it?

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I saw some good buzz about Beltrami’s score.  Anything you remember about it?

It was fun. Light rock with Beltrami’s usual Midwest twang. Didn’t think it was particularly memorable though.

Extra Ordinary - Irish supernatural comedy about a driving instructor who used to help out her paranormal investigator father but when a blunder of hers got him killed, she abandoned the spooky stuff ... but it's not long before she's drawn back into it. For the most part, a very funny film.     

Since I work in the city, it's almost impossible not to run into TIFF buzz and crowds. I try to catch a couple of films or get in a few lines every year. It's a great way to meet new folks too. Some people take the week off and try to top TIFF-hopping records. A friend of mine managed to hit 27 films this year!

Since I'm under 25, I can grab tickets as low as $15, but for the bigger premieres, it's usually around $40. 

Interesting!  We've visited Vancouver, Montreal, and Quebec City, but not Toronto yet; I'd love to visit someday and if we do, hopefully we can meet up!

I've been meaning to go for a few years now. Still haven't.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Interesting!  We've visited Vancouver, Montreal, and Quebec City, but not Toronto yet; I'd love to visit someday and if we do, hopefully we can meet up!

Let me know too! I'm just down the road.

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Make it happen friend! We're the closest to you guys anyway!

Maybe try making a trip for TIFF next year!

Really? Remind me where you're based again?

I just assume because Toronto the Southernmost of the big cities, that we're closer to most people in the US.

Hustlers. Surprisingly solid if unremarkable.

Downton Abbey. Never watched the show. Only tried this because I liked Gosford Park. It is twee and silly. Glorified Emmerdale at most.

Ad Astra. I'm not sure what to think of this film. I don't want to be too negative because there are quite a few things that I liked about it. It was bit different and understated which is a good thing. Sort of cast in the sane mould as First Man with Ryan Gosling from last year. The main characters in these two films almost feel like the same person and both their stories serve as introspective journey inwards. Brad Pitt is really good in this - his acting is so subdued but through it he manages to reveal quite a lot about his character. I liked the general concept and how it's put together but the film as a whole doesn't quite work. There are a couple of action sequences in there and I wasn't quite sure why they're even in the film. They felt like some producer wanted to have them in there because the rest is so depressing and they need to sell it to the large audience somehow. A lot of beats and characters that don't seem to add all that much to the story. They serve to set up the world and sometimes deliver exposition but don't do much beyond that (Donald Sutherland, anyone?). I also wish they managed to find a more subtle way of portraying the themes other than a voiceovers. It always feels bit lazy to me. Still, I'm glad real s-f films like this are being made. There were quite a few in the past decade and that is a good thing. This genre is a perfect vehicle for almost anything, no matter how big or small, and "daddy issues" is a subject as good as any. I get all of that...but it sure isn't Tarkovsky in its introspective philosophical contemplation. For all its emotional baggage, it felt oddly hollow.

Karol

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Ad Astra. I'm not sure what to think of this film. I don't want to be too negative because there are quite a few things that I liked about it. It was bit different and understated which is a good thing. Sort of cast in the sane mould as First Man with Ryan Gosling from last year. The main characters in these two films almost feel like the same person and both their stories serve as introspective journey inwards. Brad Pitt is really good in this - his acting is so subdued but through it he manages to reveal quite a lot about his character. I liked the general concept and how it's put together but the film as a whole doesn't quite work. There are a couple of action sequences in there and I wasn't quite sure why they're even in the film. They felt like some producer wanted to have them in there because the rest is so depressing and they need to sell it to the large audience somehow. A lot of beats and characters that don't seem to add all that much to the story. They serve to set up the world and sometimes deliver exposition but don't do much beyond that (Donald Sutherland, anyone?). I also wish they managed to find a more subtle way of portraying the themes other than a voiceovers. It always feels bit lazy to me. Still, I'm glad real s-f films like this are being made. There were quite a few in the past decade and that is a good thing. This genre is a perfect vehicle for almost anything, no matter how big or small, and "daddy issues" is a subject as good as any. I get all of that...but it sure isn't Tarkovsky in its introspective philosophical contemplation. For all its emotional baggage, it felt oddly hollow.

Score?