What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a Noah Baumbach double feature today:

The Meyerowitz Stories (New And Selected) and Greenberg 

The former had a great ensemble and tight editing, making it a really enjoyable dramatic comedy. As others have said, Sandler really shines here, giving an atypical performance I wish he did more often. 

The latter I had seen parts of years ago but had completely forgotten that Greta Gerwig starred. Love her here as well in Baumbach’s later films. Looking forward to her own directorial effort later this year. 

The Foreigner - It's a little bit of Taken, add a good dash of Irish/English conflict, and add Jackie Chan to the mix. Martin Campbell's direction is very solid, elevating a rather complex but rote script. Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan play against type quite effectively, and it's still amazing how Chan is able to do the number of stunts at his age.

Thor: Ragnarok - I had a fun time with this. Plot-wise, the script is a mess but director Taiki Waititi makes it a funny and colorful mess. Chris Hemsworth shows a great amount of comedic timing and he has a future in comedies should he decide to leave the MCU franchise. Cate Blanchett camps it up as the wicked Hela, but she feels underused in places. Tom Hiddleston and Mark Ruffalo ably add to the supporting cast, while the gorgeous Tessa Thompson is a real-find as the hard-drinking, no-nonsense Valkyrie.

Thor: Ragnarok - This was pretty damn good. Sure maybe there were too many jokes, but I was laughing, and the cast was great too. Plus Jeff Goldblum acting like Jeff Goldblum is never a bad thing, that and The Hulk talking was awesome. I'm not sure if it's my favorite MCU film (I think I preferred GOTGV2 overall),  but I do think it's one that I'll revisit several times. - 7.5 / 10

2 hours ago, Hawmy said:

Matt Damon and Sam Neill were the loki and thor actors and I thought they were pretty funny

Haha, I can see why you'd think so but that wasn't Matt Damon!  It was Luke Hemsworth, Chris Hemsworth's brother!

Has anyone else noticed this broad Radha Mithcell in a bunch of stuff? She's yet another babe from Australia, in her 40s and smoking hot. Definitely curious what she looks like naked.

Anyway, my point is that she looks exactly like Tasha Yar. She seems to have the career that Denise Crosby wishes she had after she was killed by an oil slick on Star Trek. But it's really distracting. I feel like I've traveled back in time to an alternate universe where Denise Crosby became a famous Hollywood actress.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Haha, I can see why you'd think so but that wasn't Matt Damon!  It was Luke Hemsworth, Chris Hemsworth's brother!

I just looked it up and I was kind of wrong. Matt Damon was the Loki actor while Luke Hemsworth was the Thor actor. Sam Neill was the Odin actor.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Luke or Liam?

3 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Don’t bother.

Not worth seeing, eh? I was rather looking forward to it.

5 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

Not worth seeing, eh? I was rather looking forward to it.

It’s very slow and not as clever as it thinks it is. The father actually fell asleep at one point. There’s no urgency to the story at all. 

I like the score and there’s some very good performances but it wasn’t worth a cinema trip. 

51 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It’s very slow ...

Branagh's pacy direction keeps the story zipping along. Time Out

Where Murder On The Orient Express succeeds is in Branagh's fast pacing and the suspense he maintains throughout; each suspect is given screen time, and each has a plausible reason for murder, but none of them are lingered on for too long. - Metro

Just reading some of the quotes over at RT I thought it was going to be another a fast paced movie.

I'm giving it a go today ... I haven't seen any of the other adaptations, so both the victim and the murderer are happily a mystery to me.

Branagh's frankly tremendous Poirot 'tache looks like it's worth the admission price alone, lol.   

And now that I've been ... 

Murder On The Orient Express - not having seen the other adaptations of Agatha Christie's classic murder-mystery I can't compare, but I quite enjoyed this. Kenneth Branagh toplines a stellar cast as a magnificently 'tached Poirot, and also directs.

Poirot and Ms. Marple, especially. I would watch one of those old Rutherford movies or Billy Wilder's 'Witness for the Prosecution' in a heartbeat, but a 2-hour plus Branagh adaptation? Nah..

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I feel like there's been more than enough different screen versions of this story already.

You must be thinking of the Ustinov ones. I cant imagine you ever saw the American TV movie of Orient Express. And the David Suchet ITV adaptation is not that well known.

I've seen the one with Norman Bates, the one with the crew of TNG on the Holodeck where Worf shovels the coal and the other one in space with a Mummy killing people, which was the most fantastic of the bunch.

I've yet to see the one with Michelle Pfeiffer. I want to hear that sexy ass voice once more.