• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
king mark

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer films)

7357 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

No matter how bad they make 'm, you people keep going to see it. Hollywood thanks you!

#Who cares what it's about

As long a the kids go?#

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

No matter how bad they make 'm, you people keep going to see it. Hollywood thanks you!

I had a $8 Fandango code for the movie. Only paid the $1.50 convenience fee.

Hopefully, there will be no sequel.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

#Who cares what it's about

As long a the kids go?#

True. 

4 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

La La Land

Fantastic camerawork and cinematography, with some great melodies. Pretttaay, pretttaaayyy good.

The last 15 minutes of that movie (or however long it is after the time jump) are just masterful.  Amazing convergence of acting, design, and music.

Chazelle is apparently working on a TV project next (The Eddy), which I'm interested in, but I'm more interested to see what he does for a third feature film.  He's pretty much got a blank check after La La Land grossed almost $450 million worldwide, on a budget of $30 million.

From that article: 

Up next he will direct First Man, Universal's Neil Armstrong biopic. The film will reunite the writer-director with Gosling, who is attached to play the astronaut.

Disco Stu likes this

Also actually it'll be his fourth feature! His debut wasn't Whiplash but a movie called Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench.....technically it's sort of a student film and I didn't find it quite as impressive and thrillingly entertaining as the other two, he really did hit his stride with Whiplash but it's still kind of interesting. There are hints of invention in there, it's basically a precursor to La La Land

I think that guy's gonna end up with a pretty exciting career, stylistically he feels like the most natural showman so far of the new filmmaking generation.

I haven't seen it but I did know that a melody from Hurwitz's Guy and Madeline score forms the basis for the "Summer Montage" sequence of La La Land.  Just a cameo.

I still say we should change the thread title to

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (In theaters now)

Since that is effectively what it's used for.

But yeah, 1936 is pushing it :P 
Sweeping Strings likes this

Why even bother posting in here if you're not gonna offer up even a couple sentences of thoughts/comments? No one's keeping track of your scores. 

1936 wasn't really that long ago. People from the Civil War would have still been alive and John Williams was only four years old.

They already had talkies, and colour cinema

Things were better in those days. Especially in Europe!

But Max Steiner resurrected symphonic scores with Star Kong in 1933 like how John Williams did with King Wars in 1977.

But John Williams ripped off Erich Wolfgang Korngold's music, especially Star's Row in 1942, for King Wars in 1977.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

JWFAN had a better community back then. Better film scores to talk about, too.

Gotta love those early coal-fired internet days. Where would we be without innovators?  

As does "deforestation", "fracking" and "oil pipeline".

Wonder Woman

DC finally made a convincing entry into their cinematic universe.

Gal Gadot proved in BvS that she could hold the screen while wearing an implausible costume and look enignatic, mysterious or kick ass.

Wonder Woman shows she can also be quite funny. Unlike DC's two Snyder directed epics Wonder Woman actually has quite a lot of humor in it. And not really the "quip" humour Marvel has been known for. The script, director Patty Jenkins and her cast find a lot of good humour in the concept of an Amazonian Goddess finding herself in London during WWI, not understanding that a sword and shield really isnt proper attire.

The Diane Prince we saw in BvS was world-weary and jaded, the one we see here is idealistic, naive even. Believing she can save all of man kind by destroying the God of War. The film plays with that concept throughout and actually doesnt break the news to Diane very late that things don't quite work that way.

Both Chris Pine and GaL Gadot are excellent in this actually. The film once again showcases that beneath his good looks (which arent quite as boyish as they once were) he has some really superb comic talent. (he sells the films one obligatory penis joke) The middle part of the film is the best. Where all the powerful Gods mubo-jumbo is paused for a bit and it deals with Wonder Woman finding herself in the real world.

I found myself caring about Diane Prince and Steve Trevor. Who's just a normal guy trying to do the right thing in a war which has none of the glory and heroism that Diane thinks war should have.

The early parts in the island were quite good too. Jenkins managed to create an island of Amazonian warriors that didnt feel like a male fantasy of a Lesbian paradise.

In many ways the film reminded me of The First Avenger. But it didnt lose me in the second half the way that one did. The plot and story arent anything unique or special. But I was entertained throughout. The villians, all three of them were underdeveloped though. And I could kinda sense one of them was a red herring.

The score was actually OK. It's once of those that sounds just like Zimmer even though it's not him. The more heraldic bits for the Island reminded me in style of that historic epic sound Hansu used a lot in the noughties. King Arthur etc. 

Overall good film.

*** out of ****

Through far from the best, surely?

Good review, Stefan.  I agree on all points.  That central duo of Gadot and Pine is so rock solid, the film could've been much worse and I'd still have enjoyed it overall.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Through far from the best, surely?

Good question!  Hmm,  I think my picks for best film by a female director would be Lost in Translation and this amazing movie called The Ascent by a Soviet director named Larisa Shepitko.

19 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Hurt Locker!

I prefer Zero Dark Thirty!

Bilbo Skywalker likes this

What I especially love about Sofia Coppola's work is that all her movies have a very feminine voice/perspective while not being pandering, dumb chick flicks (which have their place and can be fun).  Like, they're serious, thoughtful movies that almost certainly would be very different if directed by a man.  I dunno if that makes sense, I just love her movies.

35 minutes ago, KK said:

I prefer Zero Dark Thirty!

Love Zero Dark Thirty.

i remember people complaining it was very pro torture and "America fuck yeah!" When it came out. They obviously didn't pay much attention, it is anything but. 

Desplat's score works very nicely. Love the score for them flying to the compound.