What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the ending was the only thing good and interesting about it. Imagine if it was yet again another battle with a monster. Jees! 

The rest of the movie was too much 'been there, done that', but with an all-female crew.

I was surprised by how awfully generic most of it was. That and the cringe-worthy writing.

The ending was the only intriguing part of the whole affair.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I have yet to see that.

Karol

Do yourself a favor and take a grapefruit spoon and gouge out your eyes if you feel a desire to see it. 

I read that is one of the biggest waste of time on netflix. 90% of netflix is terrible programming.

my sister and I saw The Kid who would be King. Light fare but certainly enjoyable and worth $6.25

48 minutes ago, Richard said:

Maybe Netflix can turn it around, with THE IRISHMAN?

Oh I'm not saying something made or (partially) funded by Netflix cannot be quality. 

I'm just saying quality isn't their primary concern. 

The Mule. I really enjoyed this. Eastwood's films tend to be a bit of a hit and miss. This one is necessarily brilliant in any way but it's still a very solid piece of filmmaking. Good writing, pacing, acting etc. No complaints whatsoever - definitely one if the better films I've seen so far this year. Good stuff. :)

OK then... Vice starts in about 15 minutes. ;)

Karol

Vice. OK so I don't really know what to make of this. The film was interesting to watch and is well made. Acting is good and such. But... I'm not sure whether I can go with the mixture of Guy Ritchie meets Oliver Stone type of collage cinema seriously any more. Back in the days when I thought JFK was cinema's greatest accomplishment (OK, maybe not that far) I would have been very impressed with this. But while it is technically impressive, Vice leaves me very cold and, quite frankly, bit frustrated. See, this film tries to be very clever (and it also keeps telling how clever it is) but also has an annoying tendency to explain everything it does...so that you don't miss it. Not very clever at all then. The funny thing is that while it addresses the media propaganda and its role in shaping political narrative, it is also sort of is...exactly that. And it knows it is. I don't particularly like being told what to think on any subject...even if I agree with what's been said. But there is probably no other way to create a work of "art" like this without making any sort of judgement and going one way or another. And that is why I generally dislike films based on "true events"... because it seems that "fact" is the most dishonest of subjects in dramatised setting. So yeah, it is entertaining...but ultimately only as a curiosity. Neither satire nor drama, I have no idea what is this supposed to be. Too smug for its own good --- I know this much.

I did very much enjoy Nicholas Britell's score. Think it was quite well done.

Karol

Thats one film that holds no interest to me. I lived through the reality

A fantasy of it in unnecessary. 

32 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Thats one film that holds no interest to me. I lived through the reality

A fantasy of it in unnecessary. 

Some people said the same thing about Titanic. 

Maybe just the really old people who thought they were on it. 

1 hour ago, W0$ said:

Some people said the same thing about Titanic. 

Maybe just the really old people who thought they were on it. 

Yeah thanks for playing 

The Mule - Clint Eastwood directs, produces and stars in this (unlikely as it seems) based-on-a-true-story drama about a 90-year-old drug 'mule'.

Solidly entertaining, with Clint on wrinkly 'n' crabbily charming form and with able support from the likes of Bradley Cooper, Michael Pena, Dianne Wiest, Laurence Fishburne and Andy Garcia.    

15 hours ago, crocodile said:

I did very much enjoy Nicholas Britell's score. Think it was quite well done.

Good to know. I have been enjoying the score, but I have yet to watch the film.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:52 AM, Richard said:

How can any Scorsese film be a waste of time?! Even NEW YORK STORIES is not bad.

Shutter Island was a waste of time.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its as possible and likely as you both being right.

As likely for us as it is likey for Holmes and Moriarty.

I wondered why its called Beale Street if its set in Harlem. Beale Street is in Memphis TN.

11 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

In the Book it's based off, the title was meant to be a reference to the song "Beale Street Blues", so more of a figurative reference then anything. 

I just read that. I assumed incorrectly that it was set in Memphis. 

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Its as possible and likely as you both being right.

For a hardcore Trekkie, your logic is quite flawed, Steef.

hkawcu6hf1921.jpg

Lots of hard violence (in an exploitative way) and silly looking bad guys. It's a mystery that Mads Mikkelsen produced this. The best thing about it are the landscape shots in HDR. Still, I was able to finish it. 4/10

Green Book. The film itself is painfully formulaic and we've seen it hundreds of times before... But because of the two leads and their great chemistry you sort buy it despite yourself. Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen are a pleasure to watch on screen. Ali is introverted, stoic and classy whereas Mortensen offers a hilarious comedic counterpoint. If you want to watch something uncomplicated but heart-warming this week look no further!

Karol

I know of real places in the green book. Unfortunately I also know where blacks were not allowed.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Green Book. The film itself is painfully formulaic and we've seen it hundreds of times before... But because of the two leads and their great chemistry you sort buy it despite yourself. Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen are a pleasure to watch on screen. Ali is introverted, stoic and classy whereas Mortensen offers a hilarious comedic counterpoint. If you want to watch something uncomplicated but heart-warming this week look no further!

Karol

I missed it at TIFF but it won the festival prize, and seems to be the betting underdog horse for awards season, so I thought it would be more than the formulaic air of its trailer. Oh well. At least it sounds like a fun watch.

On 1/28/2019 at 3:35 PM, Fancyarcher said:

Saw If Beale Street Could Talk. Pretty much loved it, it was a beautiful film. My review.

https://dailyuv.com/profile/2232/973934

Meh. Nice moments and nicely framed, but overall, comes off as kind of aimless and staged. A disappointing followup to Moonlight .