• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
king mark

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer films)

7774 posts in this topic

Anyone else looking forward to The Expendables 3? But worried about the cast though. Ford, Banderas, Gibson, Grammer. These are actors with actual credibility...

I was, until I learned they'd knocked it down to a kiddie friendly PG rating. Part of the fun of the previous two movies was the insane cartoon violence, and with that significantly censored this time I'm thinking I'd rather not watch The A-team starring Stallone and Arnie.

Maybe the blu will have the 'uncensored' version, in which they insert the cg blood and dismemberment.

yea, I recently saw that Expendables 3 was PG13 after the first two were rated R, and kinda thought to myself "WTF?"

I've never seen any of the them.

I can't even remember what happened in the first one.

Btw, this post has just taken me nearly 5 mins to post after pressing submit. The site has been really, really slow for a couple of days now. Last night it failed to load at all. Karol told me he's experiencing it too.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Meh. It was fine I guess - fun, funny, and no doubt a GREAT cast (something Marvel has consistently gotten right in all of their films). The characters were great, and definitely unique. Loved Rocket and Groot the most, and Drax too. Quill and Zoe Gamora where kind of generic. All the villains and supporting characters where really great, especially Lee Pace as Ronan (took me half the movie to figure out it was Lee Pace!), Michael Rooker as the father figure, John C Reilly, Glenn Close, Karen Gillan, and even Josh Brolin as Thanos for 3 quick scenes.

The beginning of the movie was very off-putting, for like 10-15 minutes you are repeatedly introduced to one character after another after another and it was a ton to keep up with. Eventually it settled down into a fairly straightforward plot though. The pacing was fine, and action scenes were fine, everything was really just that - fine. The weakest part is the script, not the actual dialogue spoken but the plot. It was absolutely NOTHING original, and was kind of a lot of The Avengers in a lot of ways.

You're gonna have a good time at this film, but there is nothing groundbreaking here. It's very similar to all the recent Marvel movies.

Teenagers are going to absolutely love it.

Yeah, typical fodder is what they do, and have been doing for quite some time. You have to admit they're good at it as well.

Karol

I can't even remember what happened in the first one.

Oh stuff!

Explosions, fighting, people shot in the face!

The first film had the right idea, but didnt quite have the cast and/or budget.

The second one gets it right! Its fantastic.

Not sure about the third.

I've enjoyed both so far, even went to the pictures to see 'em with my other half, she loves cheesy macho action movies almost as much as me which is great!

But yeah, that PG rating is a bit of a downer.

Anyone else looking forward to The Expendables 3? But worried about the cast though. Ford, Banderas, Gibson, Grammer. These are actors with actual credibility...

I am actually. Haven't seen any of them yet, but the trailer for the third made it seem like such a damn good time, and at this point it's hard to think of someone who isn't in it. Seems fun. Maybe not "pay for a theater ticket to see it" fun, but "watch it later" fun.

Quint, it's PG13, not PG. There's a huge difference between the two.

Only Spielberg gets away with gore at that rating though, Jason. They'll be no fists ripping hearts out in this, sadly.

But there is also a big difference between PG13 and R.

And that is what makes this film utterly pointless.

Karol

Only Spielberg gets away with gore at that rating though, Jason. They'll be no fists ripping hearts out in this, sadly.

Temple of Doom was rated PG, not PG13. And that was 30 years ago.

I would not call the heart ripping scene in Temple of Doom "extreme onscreen brutality"

I would not call the heart ripping scene in Temple of Doom "extreme onscreen brutality"

Plenty of Daily Mail readers would. And for once they might have actually been right.

Is it true that the English public can only see the intended version of that scene since the Blu-ray release?

I remember watching it on the beeb in the 90's and just be appalled!

Has there been another moment of extreme onscreen brutality in a family movie in that 30 years Jay?

Possibly in animated films. I remember THE BLACK CAULDRON being controversial.

Does anyone ever expect anything groundbreaking from a Marvel flick?

Yeah, typical fodder is what they do, and have been doing for quite some time. You have to admit they're good at it as well.

Karol

It is a bit like reading their comics. You know what you are going to get and they usually more or less deliver.

A very depressing doc posted on FSM about the bankruptcy of leading fx companies and how globalization kills american business:

I've still got the audio interview I did with Bill Westenfoffer last year somewhere. I should get it published someday. He was a tad deflective however.

Please this looks like one of those anti-piracy films they used to show us before the movie starts. The one with the behind the scenes stage guy telling us his family was going to starve to death if we download movies

Globalization is a good thing! Without it WWIII would have started ages ago.

Everywhere. Wars, terrible as they are, have the tendency to make room for a clean slate. And that's no trendy cynism - nor do i wish for more war - only a sober examination of the current problems we have with a steadily growing world population that wants to live in western comfort. ##endofftopic##

Wars are a fairly inefficient form of population control.

The lack of deadly viruses or diseases like the plague, that used to sweep a continent every now and then and clear the population is a larger reason why we are now overpopulated.

Ebola looks promising, but I'm sure they will nip it in the bud.

It may sound more cynical then intended. But the big elephant in the room no one dares to talk about is that due to modern healthcare, better nutrition, the lack of plagues etc etc we are all living longer and one-day there will be far too many of us.

And lets be honest, the gene pool needs a little chloride.

Old people often have terrible taste in movies and tv...imagine BREAKING BAD shaped for senior entertainment.