What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interstellar looks more Ron Howard than Spielberg imo.

Really? The Spielberg connection is obvious (I'll even throw in Robert Zemeckis). What's the link you see to Ron Howard?

Yeah, the tone is decidedly Howardesque in that there's a big dose of glorious American spirit present (in the trailer), with the typical air of preachy nobility you get in Howard's space movies.

Yeah, the tone is decidedly Howardesque in that there's a big dose of glorious American spirit present (in the trailer), with the typical air of preachy nobility you get in Howard's space movies.

You do know that this was a Spielberg project, right? You also don't feel the Zemeckis vibe?

I sorta understand the Apollo 13 nobleness but I wonder if that doesn't have anything to do with Tom Hanks' sense of importance.

I have to admit trailers did very little to spark intrrest. And that comes from a fan.

Which might (and I do mean "might") not be a bad thing.

Karol

Yes, Quentin's movies are getting worse too and the teaser for his next western movie feels like he's going to repeat himself again (yes, we know you love Morricone, Leone, 60s & 70s movies, Quentin!)

Still haven't watched Django. Can't bring myself to do it. I own Inglorious on blu though, his last great film.

How do you know it's his last great film if you haven't even watched his latest film?

Self assured arrogance?

Glad I retired from my job as missionary for good taste, avoidance of "miserable shit syndrome", and general stupidity prevention. This place is hopeless! The people dealing with Ebola will do better with their work!

Cheer up, Interstellar might turn out all right. Truth is, no one really knows. It's just that trailers don't seem to give us any kind of idea what the film is. Which is actually quite typical for Nolan. So this banter means very little at this point. ;)

Karol

Still haven't watched Django. Can't bring myself to do it. I own Inglorious on blu though, his last great film.

His greatest, probably. And he's made only one since then, so his track record is still good. Django wasn't bad.

Cheer up, Interstellar might turn out all right. Truth is, no one really knows. It's just that trailers don't seem to give us any kind of idea what the film is. Which is actually quite typical for Nolan. So this banter means very little at this point. ;)

Karol

Oh, I know it'll turn out all right... more than all right. Don't see how the trailers could possibly make it any clearer what the film is though.

The problem is just that everyone here is so cynical and grumpy about every little thing regarding everything. It makes one feel a bit rotten after a while.

It's just that trailers don't seem to give us any kind of idea what the film is.

A trailer tells me lots of things, especially when it's quite concrete as the last one.

Yeah right!

The problem is just that everyone here is so cynical and grumpy about every little thing regarding everything. It makes one feel a bit rotten after a while.

We're just not Nolaphiles, that's all.

So you're saying the soul-crushing misery of JWFan is limited to Nolan joints? Nah.

Django wasn't bad.

Of course not, it had Franco Nero!

;)

Yeah right!

So you're saying the soul-crushing misery of JWFan is limited to Nolan joints? Nah.

It's present elsewhere too? That fills me with great hope and joy!

Mate, JWFan's brand of misery is nothing compared to some forums.

http://classicbond.com/forum/

You're pissy quite a lot lately I've noticed. What's going on?

Mate, JWFan's brand of misery is nothing compared to some forums.

http://classicbond.com/forum/

Gkgyver's birthplace.

Coordinating the migration of five people, a dog, and a stupid amount of property over 3000 miles will do that I guess....

Hope no one takes it personally. I try to be generally amicable.

Guardians of the Galaxy

I quite enjoyed it, definitely the most enjoyable Marvel movie since the first Iron Man.

I loved the casting and dynamics between the 5 heroes, and I would gladly watch them for hours just talking nonsense.

The thing is, once the plot of the movie gets in the way, it really brings the movie down. Everytime a scene has to serve the plot, the movie gets worse for it.

This would've worked great as a sitcom of sorts.

Summing it up, I really fell in love with the 5 main characters. Everything else, ranges from serviceble to forgettable

And the villian was as generic as they come, if the look was interesting (though a bit derivative). I kept thinking Lee Pace should play Thanos. Josh Brolin's voice really sounds out of place in the character. It sounds too mundane...to American I'd say. Lee Pace does excel with this sort of slow, self important, speech pattern, as he also shows in The Hobbit

I thought Thanos immediately became less menacing as soon as we saw him clearly and heard him talk and interact with other characters in a real way. I guess that was inevitable since his mysterious credits appearance let the imagination run wild, but I wonder how they're going to really make him continue to stand out as the "big bad" as a more present and active character rather than some unseen, almost elemental force.

I'm still looking forward to Interstellar but I think the trailers so far have all been underwhelming for some reason.

For Guardians I think Lee Pace was a good villain (what does it yell you that I don't even remember his character's name). agree with others that the plot is the weakest aspect of the film.

The part that killed any remnant of tension the movie might have had is when Starlord starts dancing to distract him. That was just a plain stupid scene