What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how this type of scene help make any movie better, even if it was intentional

it's OK to have jokes in a film to lighten the mood, but it must be balanced with real tension where you feel the characters or something is at stake

Or the movie must be viewed as a pure comedy and I missed the point

I actually thought that was pretty funny. The only laughs that didn't work for me were a few of the more goofy things during their "pre-final battle debate roundtable" thing. Can't remember any specifics.

I knew the character's name was Ronin because they said it 4200 times before the movie ended. But I never saw Hobbit #2 so I wouldn't know Lee Pace from Pace salsa.

I thought the final dance-off was brilliant in its antithesis of the usual po-facedness that usually accompanies such moments. In one stroke it turned a tense moment to a hilarious one, and all within the very nature of the character.

Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a good movie, a bit too self aware perhaps but fun. The Cgi characters are the most interesting. Loved the color palette of the film. Clearly this DP wasn't afraid to show real colors.

Bright colors = bad, and bland colors = bad. Natural color is where it's at. And from what I can remember, I agree with Joey. This one had a very natural look to it.

Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a good movie, a bit too self aware perhaps but fun. The Cgi characters are the most interesting. Loved the color palette of the film. Clearly this DP wasn't afraid to show real colors.

I am Groot!

I am Groot!

I don't agree with that, I thinks you're being a bit unfair.

I thought Rocket Racoon would be more bad ass from the early trailers, but he ended up just another cutesy Disney chatacter

The more of I think about it, this film plays like a live version of Pixar or Dreamworks animated films, with similar type of "random" jokes and the characters using the same exaggerated expressions to deliver their lines.

I dunno, I was expecting everything about this movie to be cooler and edgier

Does anyone here want a miniature replica of Star Lords space ship...no, because it looks shit. Rocket's figurine? no, because he was ultimately disappointing and ot the iconic character I was expecting. Any cues from the score are memorable?...no, so the score is not even worth downloading for free.. any scene from the movie stand out as a great scene you'll remember..no. Any line you'll quote from that film?..no except Star Lord ,WHO? for the wrong reason because it was stupid

I miss the days when you'd walk out of a film like Raiders of the Lost Ark and it was basically a life changing experience on every level

Any line you'll quote from that film?

I am Groot!

I miss the days when you'd walk out of a film like Raiders of the Lost Ark and it was basically a life changing experience on every level

You were a teenager when Raiders was released right?

The film you see then are always more profound then what you see in your 30's, 40's and beyond.

There's still a few movies that can come close to replicating those experiences if done right

Kick Ass a few years ago was close to that level

The Harry Potter series did it to some degree and I was not a teenager

Hunger Games series also.

I exaggerated a bit on the life changing bit, that was more due to John Williams scoring them and forging a musical taste in film scores

What I mean is you want to see the movie several times and it's just as good every time you re-watch it

I've never seen a Marvel movie twice or wanted to

No. It's my anti-depressant movie. If I'm having a really shitty day and I feel down. For some reason this film truly helps make things seem a lot better.

Like playing a certain song can lift ones spirit. It doesnt even have to be a great song.

I dunno, I was expecting everything about this movie to be cooler and edgier

Does anyone here want a miniature replica of Star Lords space ship...no, because it looks shit. Rocket's figurine? no, because he was ultimately disappointing and ot the iconic character I was expecting. Any cues from the score are memorable?...no, so the score is not even worth downloading for free.. any scene from the movie stand out as a great scene you'll remember..no. Any line you'll quote from that film?..no except Star Lord ,WHO? for the wrong reason because it was stupid

It's because you were enjoying the onset of puberty back then. Sorry you didn't get the memo, King Mark.

I disagree that a film has more or less impact because of your age.

We were just lucky to be in a era where some "summer bluckbusters" are considered true film masterpieces 30 years later. Most current movies will never reach that status

Well GotG is now the biggest grossing film of the year, so we can look forward to sequels until 2025

I liked Quinn's ship and would like a replica of it KM. It looked like a hawk.

I disagree that a film has more or less impact because of your age.

This might be true for you, KM, but in my case it's somewhat different. When I was young, and didn't yet see as much movies as I have today, I was a lot more susceptible to them. Every thrill and chill was completely new and I was not that critical yet. I didn't have much to compare it to. My taste wasn't yet fully developed. While I could easily understand and enjoy movies like Planet Of The Apes or Omega Man, I had a lot more difficulty with Manhattan, Sunset Boulevard or Citizen Kane, which I only could enjoy when I was mature enough to get something out of them. My experience is that, the older I become, the more jaded I am. What used to work doesn't necessarily work today because I've seen and experienced 'something' a few too many times.

Alex

The movies we see when we are a teenager, the music we hear etc etc... It stays with us all our lives and often has a far greater impact.

Partly because, like Alex said, you dont yet have the frame of reference.

You can't really go back.

Yes, when you are young, the experiences of watching movies and listening to music are new and therefore make a deeper impact on a young and 'virgin' mind. Everything is still magical. I wish I could have as intense experiences as when I was still in my adolescent years.

King Mark mentioned The Hunger Games as an example.

I've only seen the first one, and it IS actually a very good film. But at age 37 you do see how the basic story borrows freely from other sources, because you have seen movies with similar ideas, or read the books they are based on. (in my mind The Hunger Games is a better version of The Running Man).

I Had I seen The Hunger Games when I was 14, I would have lacked that knowledge and it would have been my first exposure to those ideas. And the film might indeed have been life changing.

True! If I was 14 today, I probably would have given The Hunger Games a 9/10! My kid utterly loved The Hunger Games 2. It's one of the best films he has ever seen.

Writing the music for Star Wars (1977) must have been even new to John Williams, who at that time in his life must have had musical ideas in abundance. At one point the well must run dry.