What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

I'm glad Star Wars has been mentioned as part of this discussion - I maintain that while I may never see something with quite the impact that the opening of A New Hope had on a 6-year-old me again, I remain a cinemagoer in the hope that I might :) .

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucy - even allowing for the fact that it's sci-fi, this is still utterly fucking ludicrous. If you can make it all the way through without any desire to 'snortlol' derisively, you're a better man than me.

Yes, when you are young, the experiences of watching movies and listening to music are new and therefore make a deeper impact on a young and 'virgin' mind. Everything is still magical. I wish I could have as intense experiences as when I was still in my adolescent years.

This post made me genuinely sad. I'm sorry you've lost the ability to do that Alex. I will never give you a hard time about being impossible to please anymore.

But you may be able to get it back.

Yes, when you are young, the experiences of watching movies and listening to music are new and therefore make a deeper impact on a young and 'virgin' mind. Everything is still magical. I wish I could have as intense experiences as when I was still in my adolescent years.

This post made me genuinely sad. I'm sorry you've lost the ability to do that Alex. I will never give you a hard time about being impossible to please anymore.

But you may be able to get it back.

Well, I didn't really lose anything. It's only that after 50 years of experiences, it's getting harder to be impressed, which is only normal. It doesn't mean I never get 'affected' anymore. However, the chances that I'm going to have incredible intense experiences with something like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang are very slim today. On the other hand, sometimes certain events occur that makes us much more susceptible than usual. The period when my mother was dying, for instance, was an astounding time for me as a music listener.

Alex

It was actually a similar situation that shook me out of being mostly unimpressed with anything that didn't have some nostalgic meaning for me. That worship of "the good old days". I know what it means to feel like there's not much more to see that's worth seeing. But obviously I now rant and rave against such feelings. So it may very well come to pass for you as well that a general sense of wonder can be recovered even if it's been absent for a long time.

I'm a born-again kid, and hope to stay one.

This sense of amazement can happen in videogames too.

I have fond memories of games I played younger but the magic of wonderment can still happen. I had that with the Dark Souls series.

This post made me genuinely sad.

BTW Alexcremmer has always sounded that way ever since he joined the MB so it's not new

Ok, well Jurassic Park left me a bit cold for a Spielberg movie when I first saw it in cinema, but it's an absolute classic to some. Is it because JP is just not as good as Jaws, Raiders and Tod or I was too familiar with the Spielberg tricks by then? Would JP have left a deeper impact if I had been 10 when I saw it?

I was fifteen and was bitterly disappointed by the family-friendly cuteness of JP though that may have been helped by the fact that i watched BLOODSPORT and EVIL DEAD movies all the time.

The Lost World is a drag. It spends the first hour foreshadowing monsters that we've already seen and setting up characters that we don't care about. I appreciate the San Diego T-Rex rampage at the end though.

BTW Alexcremmer has always sounded that way ever since he joined the MB so it's not new

Why would it be new? And is this all you have to say? Once again, you aren't contributing much, MK.

It was actually a similar situation that shook me out of being mostly unimpressed with anything that didn't have some nostalgic meaning for me. That worship of "the good old days". I know what it means to feel like there's not much more to see that's worth seeing. But obviously I now rant and rave against such feelings. So it may very well come to pass for you as well that a general sense of wonder can be recovered even if it's been absent for a long time.

I'm a born-again kid, and hope to stay one.

And because you are like a little kid, you are deeply impressed with anything that crosses your path?

"The worship of the good old days"? I don't let nostalgia to cloud my view. Again, when I was a little kid, movies like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang gave me what I needed. When I got older I looked for other things. I became more critical. I'm not going to delude myself by going berzerk on a mediocre film that I once liked as a kid.

Alex

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Decent flick, nothing to write home about. Could have waited until it came out on home release. Nowhere near the level of the first one. Still visually interesting to look at, but the issue was with the stories. Compared to the first movie, I didn't find the narrative all that interesting. Seemed more scattered and nost as cohesive.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Considerably more creative and edgy than the other movies from Marvel Studios. The visuals are creative, the characters are memorable and it has genuinely funny moments. The plot isn't all that great though, with a relatively generic MacGuffin and some choppy transitions between scenes. My biggest problem with the movie was the finale, which embraces the generic Marvel-isms it had been avoiding beforehand.

Tyler Bates' score is a mixed bag. There are some surprisingly decent cues (mostly residing in the more tender moments) but there are some genuinely awful ones too. The cheap sounding synthetic low brass music accompanying Ronan's scenes is appalling. There are also many moments when the music doesn't line up with what's happening onscreen. I wonder what a more competent composer could have done with this movie.

Movie- 4/5

Score- 1.5/5

The score did not bother me at all. Isn't that a good sign? I only noticed music during one of the last scenes when there was a wondrous moment enhanced with magical synth sounds. Yes, the main story, together with a general lack of drama, were the weakest elements of Guardians but the movie excelled in fun, colorful characters and fantastic settings.

Alex

The pop and rock classics on the 'mixtape' have much, much more impact than any of the scoring IMO. But as I've said elsewhere on this board, scores tend to just wash over me nowadays anyway.

The pop rock songs are meant to be noticed. The real score needs to disappear as being just a part of the whole, especially in this kind of movies. It's purely functional.

The pop rock songs are meant to be noticed. The real score needs to disappear as being just a part of the whole, especially in this kind of movies. It's purely functional.

Yeah I don't know why so many of these composers make all this music that draws attention to itself. It's like those bloody Star Wars movies with that friggen catchy music all over the place. It's just so unrealistic for there to be all that happy jolly music everywhere.

Different approach. Some directors want to hear the music but many want it to be 'invisible'.

And to be honest, I don't think there are too many people who notice the wall to wall score in the Star Wars movies either. If music is meant to draw attention, it isn't pulled back in the background suppressed by FX, sound design and dialog but it's placed onto the foreground where it gets enough room to shine, like that Phillip Glass segment in Watchmen.

The Guest - knowing, deliberately OTT thriller that ends up as a sort of homage to the 'charming psychopath home invasion' sub-genre (Sleeping With The Enemy, Unlawful Entry etc) and also earlier horror-thrillers, but also a bit wilder and stranger than those. Ironically after what I said above, the score in this IS noticeable - a synthy tribute to the sort of thing John Carpenter and James Cameron used to have in their movies, and the soundtrack songs all seem to be from the 80s. Standout performance from Downton Abbey's Dan Stevens in the title role.

I saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I have an excuse, my friends asked me to go and he took his kids

The film had a few fun action sequences, like one sliding down a mountain side

The origin story of the Turtles is presented in a cute way

Megan Fox will never be a great actress but she improved enough to be case in other roles

Brian Tyler's score is actually decent, it has a theme and sound more traditionnal. It made me want to check it out outside of the film