Brian Eno Hates John Williams

Dixon Hill

18 hours ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

Do striped turtlenecks count?

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/musician-brian-eno-in-striped-turtleneck-picture-id533080994

Edit: FFS, why won't this image load?

Because the URL doesn't end with an image file extension, probably.

Mr. Eno is entitled to dislike JW's music, if he so wishes. This doesn't change the fact that people will be discussing, and listening to JW's music long after everyone at JWfan has gone the way of the dodo, while Mr. Eno will go down in music history as that bloke out of Roxy Music.

Sorry I couldn't resist when I remembered this song from the Hobbit :P 

Skip the motifs, call your mates

tell them cancel flying themes

that's what Brian Eno hates,

anti-Williams himself deems.

Cut theatrics, tread on schmaltz!
Put emotional mute on scores!
Leave out chaconne and the waltz!

such are used by uncouth bores!

Dump his themes in a boiling bowl;
Pound these things with a thumping pole;
And when you’ve finished if they are whole,
Let them down to thrash you roll.

This JW Brian Eno hates!
So, tread carefully! carefully here me mates!

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Mr. Eno is entitled to dislike JW's music, if he so wishes. This doesn't change the fact that people will be discussing, and listening to JW's music long after everyone at JWfan has gone the way of the dodo, while Mr. Eno will go down in music history as that bloke out of Roxy Music.

This is very silly, friendo.  They will both be remembered quite widely.

7 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

This is very silly, friendo.  They will both be remembered quite widely.

I hear what you are saying, but

1/ statistically, JW has the greater (in volume), and more widely-heard, body of work, and

2/ it's bad form for someone to insult someone-else of  their procession, especially so publicly.

Mr. Eno should have found a more mature way to get his point across.

Actually, forget the above. So, some man doesn't like one of the greatest, most loved, and most honored composers who has ever lived.

Who fucking cares?

His loss.

Yes.  His loss.  Many have taken time to say so in this thread, some, more than once.  More than twice even.

It is indeed his loss, isn't it?  I am comforted to know that so many are able to discern that it is, in fact, his loss, and they need not fret therefore.

We all mourn for his loss.

And the most important thing is that John Williams doesn't hate Brian Eno. It's just not in his nature, hate.

8 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

How do you know?

John Williams couldn't hate anyone. It's just not in his character.

hqdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

John Williams couldn't hate anyone. It's just not in his character.

hqdefault.jpg

There's a salty New Yorker from 1940s Queens buried under those decades of graciousness.  I bet he can get pretty prickly when he wants to!

On 28-7-2016 at 7:03 AM, Richard said:

I hear what you are saying, but

1/ statistically, JW has the greater (in volume), and more widely-heard, body of work, and

2/ it's bad form for someone to insult someone-else of  their procession, especially so publicly.

Mr. Eno should have found a more mature way to get his point across.

Actually, forget the above. So, some man doesn't like one of the greatest, most loved, and most honored composers who has ever lived.

Who fucking cares?

His loss.

And yet, even though I like Williams, like Eno, I too have a problem with the safe, non-adventurous choices he makes, musically and cinematically. From a certain perspective, never leaving your comfort zone, always coloring inside the lines does seem like a waste of talent. I always wanted my favorite musicians/composers/bands to explore musical boundaries, make music without concessions ... Why shouldn't the same apply to Williams?

Alex

Storm in a teacup. More to do with how incredibly touchy people are on the internet and treat every utterance as if bodily harm comes from it. The man hates upfront traditional Hollywood scoring and that's that. PC shouldn't lead us into dictating others what they should or shouldn't say.

44 minutes ago, publicist said:

The man hates upfront traditional Hollywood scoring and that's that.

But that would imply that Eno is completely oblivious to Williams' musical talent and I don't believe that is the case. Eno is smart enough to recognize that Williams is a force of nature but the simply doesn't understand why a man of his incredible abilities wants to remain a Hollywood whore. Why do super talents like Williams and Spielberg never think outside the box? That is a mystery to Eno.

This reminds me of when I interviewed Cliff Martinez last year (of whom I'm a big fan), and asked him if ever wanted to; or was capable of doing a John Williams-style score. He said something to the effect of that he probably was (although not on the same level), but that's not what people hire him for.

That's your interpretation (which reads a lot into things). And more, it's a kind of justification that is not required: he finds the kind of scoring for which Williams is a totem pole annoying. Period. He isn't writing a thesis but just stating an opinion. 

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Brian Eno is the Donald Trump of music!

Does that mean Johnny is the Hillary of music?!