The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks better than the average MCU film these days, but then I thought the same thing about Dr Strange and that was forgettable, so who knows

The more I see about Spider-man Homecoming (longer trailers, etc), the less excited I am for it.  Thor and Black Panther both look really good to me at this point, but that doesn't mean much.  Marvel knows how to cut good trailers.

My love of Spider-man notwithstanding, the trailer for that one looks like the lesser of the three.  Some of that could be my lack of exposure to Black Panther and the fact that Thor is now a very familiar movie-property for me, but something about the Spidey trailer lacks excitement.  The action set pieces that it seems to be setting up don't appear all that interesting in concept.

The fun high-school stuff in Spider-man looks good.  All of the stuff about the Vulture and about Iron Man lecturing him in the most recent trailer seems much less interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the main theme and thought the underscore was just fine.  Honestly that's basically a knock out score in this day of diminished expectations, haha.

I've just watched all of the MCU films (in the recommended order) and I'll be honest, I had no clue what was going on half the time. Maybe it's because I haven't read the comics, maybe I'm just ignorant, I dunno. My favourite was Ant-Man or Doctor Strange, probably because I could follow them easily.

I have to say, I think Spider-Man: Homecoming is one of the best Spider-Man films so far. Maybe not quite as good as Spider-Man 2, but it's right up there for me. A lot of the changes they made actually made sense and there's a plot twist that I did not see coming. The ending is funny (wonder how the next film will handle that) and the mid-credits scene sets up something Sony had wanted to do themselves but never did. There's even an after-credits scene that is quite tongue-in-cheek.

I might actually catch this one in the theater after skipping Ant-Man, Dr Strange, and Guardians 2 in theaters.  Maybe.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh yeah, I was the only who really liked Guardians 2.  Great movie!

I really enjoyed Guardians 2 as well, but I'm a lifelong Spidey fan, and even if I weren't, I think Spider-Man Homecoming is definitely the better movie.

I had a good enough time in the cinema with Spider-Man: Homecoming, but overall I found the film rather messy and unfocused. It felt very much like just another episode in the ongoing Marvel saga, rather than the event I expect from a movie about one of Marvel's flagship heroes. As far as super hero movies go, both Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2 and Wonder Woman were better films.

That's not to say there weren't a few pleasant surprises and good laughs in this.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

I might actually catch this one in the theater after skipping Ant-Man, Dr Strange, and Guardians 2 in theaters.  Maybe.

Gave Ant-Man a chance but had to switch it off. Dr Strange I might give a chance too when on Netflix. Guardians Vol.2 I must see since I was the only fan of Vol.1. I have become allergic to Spider-Man Sony.

Don't bother with Dr. Strange, Alex. It's far more bland than the trailers let on.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I must see since I was the only fan of Vol.1. 

Nonsense!

I recall GOTG getting pretty universal praise both inside and outside this board when it came out.  Does Alex really think he's the only one that liked it?  Weird.