The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

I never understood why people seem so obsessed with how much or how little of any particular film is improvised. My default view is that more improvisation often leads to more messy, unfocused films, but that's not always true.  

You guys are right its lame that Ant-man isn't on the poster, or The Wasp either for that matter

Also I hadn't realized / had forgotten Anthony Hopkins was coming back for Thor 3, that's nice.

Yeah you'd think with the Thor films, the latest Transformers, and WestWorld, Hopkins was really padding out his retirement fund.  But really it seems that he just never wants to stop working.

At least Hopkins is still a GREAT actor.  He is AMAZING on WestWorld.

I'm sure he phones in his Marvel gigs though.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah you'd think with the Thor films, the latest Transformers, and WestWorld, Hopkins was really padding out his retirement fund.  But really it seems that he just never wants to stop working.

He's a part of a small league of great actors that also have no qualms about doing absolute shit for the money. Morgan Freeman is another. 

Just now, Koray Savas said:

He's a part of a small league of great actors that also have no qualms about doing absolute shit for the money. Morgan Freeman is another. 

Sam Jackson and Nicolas Cage too.  Workaholics.

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:09 AM, Jay said:

At least Hopkins is still a GREAT actor.  He is AMAZING on WestWorld.

I'm sure he phones in his Marvel gigs though.

He was practically asleep during his Thor roles that trying to kill him off was probably his idea!

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:50 AM, Koray Savas said:

Walken was never a particularly great actor. He's just Christopher Walken. The Deer Hunter is probably the only role of his I can think of where he wasn't his usual persona.

He wasn't bad in Catch Me If You Can. There didn't seem like any of his natural goofiness to be found in that film.

On 7/25/2017 at 3:50 PM, Koray Savas said:

Walken was never a particularly great actor. He's just Christopher Walken. The Deer Hunter is probably the only role of his I can think of where he wasn't his usual persona.

Many of his roles, pre somewhere around the 1980's were pretty much not of his persona either. At one point he was considered a very serious actor. 

Walken didn't have a "persona" so to say, until after he started to willingly "parody" himself on SNL and the likes.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

He was practically asleep during his Thor roles that trying to kill him off was probably his idea!

I dunno, nobody can say "But you're not king" like Hopkins in the first Thor.

59 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I dunno, nobody can say "But you're not king" like Hopkins in the first Thor.

Oh, that line of course, but the rest he might well have been CGI!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

That's it.  I mix those two up for some reason.

Isnt it Manny who often has the crappy Giacchino photoshops?

I asked MurphyBot "What if Michael Giacchino was Jesus?" And my avatar was the result!

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Who are you?

I couldn't very well keep calling myself "The Master" now, could I? :)

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Hey, just realized we can add Tom Holland to that list.

When Chris Evans will decide to stop playing Captain America, will the next actor to portray the character will be a Brit?

Not sure if Idris Elba counts as Heimdall.

Aaron Taylor Johnson also played Quicksilver.

And Sophie Turner is playing Jean Grey.

Nicholas Hoult plays Beast.

Ben Hardy plays Archangel.

Not sure if James McAvoy counts as British. ;)

And Tom Hardy will be Venom soon.

And Michael Rooker plays Yondu.

Ioan Gruffudd is a Welsh actor and he played Mr Fantastic in Tim Story's FF films.

Matthew Goode played Ozymandias.

Ray Stevenson played the Punisher in 2008 film.

Also I don't think Peggy Carter was British in the comics.

Karol

On ‎2‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, crocodile said:

And yeah that Shocker guy is a bit like discount Tom Hardy.

Karol

He didn't get enough development or screen time to be a discount Tom Hardy!

Oh for sure, he's just showing his ignorance.  People who are passionate about comics obviously know there's a difference in tone, approach, and types of stories told.

What's refreshing is an actor in a comic book movie not paying insincere lip service to "the fans" or faking that he gives a shit about the source.

After watching Homecoming I felt that they made a good choice not going with the regular villains (not treading on familiar ground) and thought if they ever did Venom, how would they make him interesting in a post Avengers universe, and without Spider-Man? Now that you have an expanding universe of aliens and different dimensions, the future Marvel films need to do their darndest to make the audience invest in extra-terrestrial shenanigans again. Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok could get away with the sheer wackiness and alien diversity through its campiness, humour and tone, but something like Venom can only be a serious, almost R-rated fare. Which leads me to ask, how do you make a Venom film without the groundwork of Spider-Man as a character and a world to make us invest in a kind of silly villain in their own film? 

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Which leads me to ask, how do you make a Venom film without the groundwork of Spider-Man as a character and a world to make us invest in a kind of silly villain in their own film? 

Step 1: Don't hire Topher Grace

They're already on the right track!