The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think the Russo brothers will be more successful operating at this epic scale than Whedon was.

I dunno, though!  Winter Soldier was a relatively "small" film, and was great!  Civil War was basically "epic" (maybe not quite as much as Avengers 1 or 2) and was decidedly less good.

We'll see!

I liked Civil War, especially how it got the epic part out of the way as the end of 2nd act.  Personally I thought the 3rd act of Civil War was just great, how it focused in on just the conflict between Stark and Cap.

Just now, mstrox said:

I wasn't the biggest fan of Civil War, but the airport scene shows that they can service all of the characters in a huge melee much better than Whedon could.

And this is also true.

5 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

But will it have a $200 million+ opening weekend? Or somewhere a little north of Justice League?

I think it will significantly outearn Justice League just because it's a culmination of a series that has garnered a lot of good will without any real stinkers.  Awful reviews across the board could sink it, but not as low as Justice League.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

All I'm hoping for is that the Russo Brothers weren't forced by Marvel to add a lot of humor, so that there could actually be some gravitas for once, and that we feel the heroes could actually die now (you know, to feel like it's all been building up to that big battle to end all battles).

Well we know someone's going to die.  Vision for sure since it's the whatever stone that gives him life and Thanos will steal that, but I'm sure some humans will too.  Maybe not until the 2nd movie though.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Like The Post! Agreed!

That innocent 'lil indie drama?

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don't think "humorless" is the right word, but their Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a very well-balanced movie with very few light moments.

Yea!

18 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Agreed. Plus we know the reviews won't sink it anyway.

I think reviews could possibly "sink" it down, but not as low as Thor The Dark World, Thor, Dr. Strange, Ant Man.  But with the budget of this thing, there's always the potential for it to be a top 5 movie of the year and still end up unprofitable.  Again, this would be only in the case of similarly devastating reviews to BvS/Justice League.  If it's reviewed well, I don't see a scenario where this  doesn't land along with the first two Avengers in the top 3 MCU moneymakers.

With Iron Man, Spider-man, the Guardians, and Ant-Man, this will probably match Civil War tonally - some serious stuff in isolation (a'la the Stark/Cap/Bucky stuff in Civil War) and a crap-ton of fight gags and one-liners.

Ha!  I just watched the trailer and was coming here to say the same thing.  Was nice to hear the theme twice in big statements like that.

Lots of Dr Strange & co in the trailer, very little Antman and Wasp

Much prefer patriotic, optimistic Captain American than this version

Will Nick Fury be in this?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Will Nick Fury be in this?

Yes.  That's why he's been absent for a little while I think, they didn't want to finish out his contract before these two movies.

Oh also, Thanos looks radically different here than he did in Avengers 1 and Guardians 1.  He looked cool and different there, here he just looks like Josh Brolin done in CGI

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh also, Thanos looks radically different here than he did in Avengers 1 and Guardians 1.  He looked cool and different there, here he just looks like Josh Brolin done in CGI

He doesn't look very different to me other than being a different color I think.  But I've always thought he just looked like CGI Brolin

DP0FSKgXcAAdiOb.jpg

Guardian-of-the-Galaxy-Thanos-Vfx-Breakd

I’ve watched the trailer and come to the conclusion DC is basically those cheap knock off films that play on Sci-Fi channel before or after the big boys come to the theatre. 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Yeah I was wrong.  Jackson is not in this Avengers.  He is apparently going to be in Captain Marvel, the one taking place in the '90s.

He might, and probably will, be in the 2019 one.

Karol

45 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He doesn't look very different to me other than being a different color I think.  But I've always thought he just looked like CGI Brolin

That would be weird if he looked like Brolin in The Avengers considering Brolin wasn't cast for the role until 2 years later

I haven't seen the Avengers since the one time in the theaters 5 and a half years ago

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The thing is: I'm not so sure about that. Looks like the trailer spoiled it, and once the stone is taken from him (putting spoiler tags just in case some people who visit this thread don't want to check the trailer) 

Hide contents

he just turns into a human for some reason (since we see the Scarlet Witch looking at him in human form, and it seems he no longer has the stone).

Spoiler

That sure looks like the stone to me.... unless I missed another shot of him in "human" form

avengers-infinity-war-breakdown-4.png

Thankfully they used Silvestri's Avengers theme in the marketing. It's about time they recognised the music and at least tried to have some musical continuity. 

Not sure if I've ever shared this video before, but here is what it would look like if Marvel had continuity in their music. I used clips from Civil War and added the actual themes of the characters in there, rather than Jackman's poor effort.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akz-9hNbLAnnhiW4yB1TkU6dvoDd 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Hide contents

That sure looks like the stone to me.... unless I missed another shot of him in "human" form

avengers-infinity-war-breakdown-4.png

Spoiler

I thought it was supposed to be the "hole" after his stone was removed, because I thought I remember his stone being a different colour than yellow. My bad.

1 hour ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I'm surprised they approved the Avengers theme when it first shows up in the trailer. It's such a fake sounding sampled instrument, like from a fan-made score (which I guess is what trailer music is nowadays).

I actually thought it sounded pretty good, especially compared to the EPIC versions of Star Wars themes we've been hearing over the past few years.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

DP0FSKgXcAAdiOb.jpg

Guardian-of-the-Galaxy-Thanos-Vfx-Breakd

So that's where Bruce Willis went...

That trailer took a while for me to get used to, but once that music started playing, and I heard Brolin's Thanos's voice-over, I was instantly into it. Also a lot of people are complaining about Thanos' CGI, but I didn't think it looks bad, in fact it actually looks fine to me. 

I was a fool for thinking it was going to be anything other than this, another CGI shitstorm, faceless alien hoards, terrible CGI Bruce Willis and another team-up film. 

It's hard to believe with all this nonsense that shows like The Punisher and Daredevil exist, shows that deal with human drama and conflict that's grounded in reality. 

The only interesting thing from the Marvel family for me is Noah Hawley's Legion. But I'm not sure if that one counts...

12 hours ago, KK said:

He never looked very good.

Yeah, I think we all agree that he looks like cheap CGI. I mean, we're all different and everything is subjective but on this we finally have a general agreement.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

*Grumpy old man rant begins*

The thing this trailer made me realize is how this trend of churning out movies for a franchise faster and faster has reached really ridiculous levels: I mean, we get a trailer for what is, in a way, a sequel to Black Panther, before Black Panther is even in theaters! It almost feels like: "Black Panther? Yeah, what happens in it isn't really important, so whatever, let's show you what happens after it!".

Again, it feels like the hype is taking more and more precedence over the actual films. It's a bit of a shame. Bah!

*Grumpy old man rant over*

^ This.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote from Mothersbaugh on the pecking order of filmscores on the 'food chain' for studios in response to that video criticising the bland scores of previous entries in the MCU:

“We were looking at that, going ‘Wow, OK.’ That helps explain some things that I kind of felt myself… Marvel is so successful, and it seems like it’s because the people that are at the top of the food chain are very integrated into the creative process, which I hadn’t expected. You don’t always see that. A lot of the executives, their big concerns are marketing, and investments, they don’t have time — music is way down at the bottom of the list.  Even the directors, sometimes, you are working with them and they are like, ‘Cobbler, cobble me some music.’ And you are kind of treated like that.”

http://collider.com/marvel-movie-scores-video-essay-thor-ragnarok-mark-mothersbaugh/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial/#every-frame-a-painting

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Quote from Mothersbaugh on the pecking order of filmscores on the 'food chain' for studios in response to that video criticising the bland scores of previous entries in the MCU:

http://collider.com/marvel-movie-scores-video-essay-thor-ragnarok-mark-mothersbaugh/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial/#every-frame-a-painting

Odd that the Collided article omits this following quote from the THR report they're quoting.

Not so with Marvel.

"I'm sitting there with their in-house music editor and playing music for him and Taika. This guy walks in and it's Kevin [Feige, studio head] and he sits down with me, he's just listening in. He's checking it out to see what we're doing," recalls Mothersbaugh.

• 1 month later...

In 2015/2016, I made a personal "The Best of Marvel" music compilation. Of course by now it is a bit outdated.

Could anyone give me some recommendations on the best tracks of the following films?

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Ant-Man

Captain America: Civil War

Doctor Strange

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Thor: Ragnarok

At the moment I most of have their whole scores on my iPod, but I never listen to them...

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

In 2015/2016, I made a personal "The Best of Marvel" music compilation. Of course by now it is a bit outdated.

Could anyone give me some recommendations on the best tracks of the following films?

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Ant-Man

Captain America: Civil War

Doctor Strange

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Thor: Ragnarok

At the moment I most of have their whole scores on my iPod, but I never listen to them...

My top picks for those films would be:

Age of Ultron - 'Heroes'

Ant-Man - The Theme, 'Tales to Astonish!' is a bit of vintage fun if you like that

Captain America: Civil War - (I am really not a fan of this one at all) but I suppose 'Closure' is quite nice

Doctor Strange - (this one has a lot more going for it) 'Ancient Sorcerer's Secret', 'Go for Baroque', 'Inside the Mirror Dimension', 'Strange Days Ahead', 'Master of the Mystic'

Spider-Man: Homecoming - the Suite

Thor: Ragnarok - again, the Suite, but also (if you're into synths) 'What Heroes Do', 'Sakaar Chase', 'Planet Sakaar'