The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

So is Avengers: Endgame 'Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 - Endgame'? 

Or was Infinity War Part 1 just 'Infinity War'?

If there are meant to be four films, does that mean Infinity War Part 4 is still the 'Endgame'? 'Endgame Part 3'? So the 'Endgame' will be going on for two more films after this one?

What does this mean?

tenor_(4).gif

There's two Avengers films where Thanos is the villain; Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame. Dunno where you're getting four from...

I thought there were going to be four Infinity War films...or two...I don't know anymore...

Wasn't Infinity War marketed as 'Part 1'? I swear it was...

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

I thought there were going to be four Infinity War films...or two...I don't know anymore...

Haha, the MCU is a tad confusing sometimes. Essentially, there are two "Infinity War" films, with the storyline being wrapped up with Endgame. Right now, we don't know anything about what's going to happen afterwards.

I haven't bothered to keep up with all these films. I'm the only one around these parts who thought Infinity War was just terrible, I much prefer the standalone films.

Aw man, I thought it was great. I was skeptical on how it would turn out myself, but it's a film that gets better the more I think about it. Probably my favorite Marvel flick.

Agreed, I thought it was fantastic. The Russo brothers had such tremendous pressure on them to make Infinity War good, and the fact that they managed to make a film that actually surpassed the hype is a massive achievement just in of itself.

Help me understand. As someone who has seen a handful of these Marvel films and hasn't followed the overarching story (simply because it's not my favourite cup of tea and it would be too much movie fandom for me, joining in that way on another franchise), I'm a little confused because I hear people saying that Infinity War Part 2 is going to essentially be the closing point in a way. Is that really the case? I understand that many beloved characters, how do you say, kicked the bucket, but Marvel can't just throw all that away like that, can they? 

I think Spider-Man has been my favourite Marvel Comics character, and I've enjoyed many of the MCU films, but I was never really impressed by the Avengers films as I believe they're ideas better expressed in comic form, than films that at once try to convey a gritty reality and the superhero shenanigans.

In Infinity War, we were meant to feel something for Vision and Scarlet Witch, but they were characters so poorly introduced in Age of Ultron that I didn't care enough about them to feel invested in any of their scenes.

I've always maintained that comic book film adaptations must ride a very thin line between comic schlock and realism and certain properties in the MCU manage to do so with varying degrees of success when they aren't packaged as a team-up story, where no one hero is afforded any time worth watching.

Part of my disenchantment or disenfranchisement stems from the fact that there is a saturation of superhero media that has reduced the values of any one standalone property to just another commodity. Superheroes don't feel special anymore if they're the norm.

I'm getting frustrated of filmmakers and studios asking us to invest in more and more origin stories, more sequels and reboots and all of this is effortless to these faceless corporate entities, as long as people will buy tickets they can get away with extremely lazy products and to see everyone gnash and gnaw at these films like they were going out of fashion is disturbing.

In one foul swoop, people will derride The Last Jedi, and praise Infinity War for doing nothing new, nothing bold, nothing at all. 

From my perspective, we're doomed to more and more of extremely average nonsense with a few gems along the way when the MCU is concerned.

I've never devoted any energy to hating any of these films, just in trying to understand what's so great about them and why other people don't feel what to me is tired, worn-out genre that needs to take a breather.

Eh, I'd say Infinity War is a pretty bold movie. Was it on Last Jedi levels of ambition? No, but it holds up much better as a coherent whole than that movie and it takes the story in a direction where you are genuinely interested in what will happen next.

Is superhero fatigue real? For some people, I'm sure. But I think the MCU has been really consistent with their output as of late, and taking actual risks as well. As long as their movies are good, people will see them.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes, its the pity the sequel will probably undo most of it.

That depends. It might not. Or it will...at great cost 

Karol

I thought the last few ones were as bland and boring as they come. 

I genuinely loved the Knowhere scene in IW, finally they did something interesting with those damn stones by messing with the fabric of reality! But what does it come down to in the end? Big bland CG army against big bland CG army with the heroes shooting samey blue and purple water laser beams at each other and doing boring punchouts. Use the powers of the stones creatively, goddamnit! But of course if Thanos had any brains instead of toying with everyone with very unclear power and ability levels, the movie would've been over in 10 minutes.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Use the powers of the stones creatively, goddamnit!

Isn't that what happened with the fight with Thanos on Titan?

I honestly can't remember any stone use from that, just them trying to prevent Thanos from making a fist - what a conveniently badly designed gauntlet, by the way.

36 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Help me understand. As someone who has seen a handful of these Marvel films and hasn't followed the overarching story (simply because it's not my favourite cup of tea and it would be too much movie fandom for me, joining in that way on another franchise), I'm a little confused because I hear people saying that Infinity War Part 2 is going to essentially be the closing point in a way. Is that really the case? I understand that many beloved characters, how do you say, kicked the bucket, but Marvel can't just throw all that away like that, can they? 

It's a difficult thing to explain. After the first Avengers movie featured a team-up of the first six Avengers (who were previously introduced in their own solo movies), Marvel have slowly been adding in more and more superheroes throughout the past ten years, which culminated in a much larger team-up in Infinity War.  Also in Infinity War, they "killed off" a bunch of said superheroes when the villain essentially wiped out half the universe with this weapon that he's spent the entire cinematic universe so far (10 years) acquiring.

Possible spoilers for Endgame:

Spoiler

The new film Endgame will see the original six Avengers from the first movie trying (and likely succeeding) to undo said act, however it is likely some (or all, depending on which rumours you believe) will die in the process, resulting in a "handover" of sorts from the original Avengers to the newer ones Marvel have introduced, who will carry the torch from then onwards.

So yes, it is likely Marvel will throw some of them away, but they'll be replaced by other newer characters. This is a closing point for the overall story arc so far, as the "big bad" (Thanos) that has been featured over the past ten years of movies will likely be defeated, and some/all of the original heroes from the first movie will either die or move aside in some fashion to make way for the newer ones.

57 minutes ago, John said:

Probably my favorite Marvel flick.

Really?

I mean, I like it too. But I still have to say the original Avengers is their best.

25 minutes ago, Arpy said:

In one foul swoop, people will derride The Last Jedi, and praise Infinity War for doing nothing new, nothing bold, nothing at all. 

I understand. When you see a certain property being, in your eyes, unjusty derided, its kind of frustrating to see another property reap lots of praise. There's really no solution beyond getting over it, really.

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes, its the pity the sequel will probably undo most of it.

As long as the Infinity War ending stays real for the surviving Avengers (as in, they don't lose memory of it), I'm ok with it.  It's the reaction of the survivors that makes the ending memorable I think.

Yes!

It's not about you experiencing their deaths, its about you experiencing the survivors experiencing their deaths.

From a storytelling standpoint, its a real ballsy move, the fact that they would take these characters to this point. Movies are about experience. This is a comic book movie, the heroes always win in the end. But knowing that doesn't make the journey any less entertaining or poignant. Quite the opposite, really.

2 minutes ago, John said:

It's not about you experiencing their deaths, its about you experiencing the survivors experiencing their deaths.

I always thought: "Hmm, they are dying now but somebody will turn back time and none of this will happen."

I thought Endgame had a great teaser. I am getting too old to wish my life away but when May gets here I will be there opening day.

The fantastics emotional pieces composed by Alan Silvestri for IW will really do a much better teaser... Better than that blubliboolga music!

Anayway, I love IW and I love that teaser.

4 hours ago, Fabulin said:

"This is gonna work, Steve".

"I know it is... 'cause I don't know what I'm gonna do if it doesn't"

"Hopefully it will work"

"I might have gone too far in a few places"

"We are never going to beat Titanic"

Theories, hype, wondering about the title... now I see how some people must have felt before The Phantom Menace. This felt faux-dramatic and underwhelming. Acting was...you know, after all these years of paying attention to movies with the same cast of actors, it looks like they are phoning it in. Or maybe the dialogues are just so rudimentary and generic.

Or maybe the DOOM sound and random synth-piano/whatever notes are to blame?

The directors said No. 4 will be their most ambitious movie. Presumably a "deeper" one. Now I see they meant Interstellar type of ambitious.

Oh no...

And I loved Infinity War! Although it doesn't have a re-watch value to me at this point, because two screenings were apparently enough to remember it from start to finish, It still stays on the 20 spot of my favorites, above 800 or so other movies.

On the other hand... would I want the teaser to be a spoiler fest?

I don’t get this post. 

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I agree with crocodile!

It's business as usual for Silvestri overall, of course. But then, so is every single other score of his career. So a lot of it goes by the motions. But I do like a lot of details about the score. Oddly, the best bits are small moments, often transitional cues and stuff like that. I like the colours he uses there. He is bit more adventurous with his orchestrations in those sections.

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's business as usual for Silvestri overall, of course. But then, so is every single other score of his career. So a lot of it goes by the motions. But I do like a lot of details about the score. Oddly, the best bits are small moments, often transitional cues and stuff like taht. I like the colours he uses there. He is bit more adventurous with his orchestrations in those sections.

Karol

I wouldn't mind trying someone's playlist of highlights.  As released, I've listened to it twice and it was such a slog.  Seemed like a score that you could only get into if you really really loved the movie.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I wouldn't mind trying someone's playlist of highlights.  As released, I've listened to it twice and it was such a slog.  Seemed like a score that you could only get into if you really really loved the movie.

What's funny, both releases are inadequate. The DE is probably too long, as you say, but the short one omits most of my favourite moments. But a lot of these, as I stated earlier, are not necessarily the most important cues.

Karol

No, it is not a very theme-driven score at all. But it makes sense, if you think about it. With so many characters and genre elements thrown together in one big pot it probably makes sense to just focus on unifying it all somehow. It worked very well in the first film and it works here.

Karol

6 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Not a huge follower of the "universe", but that teaser is pretty good. Nice to see Ant-Man there. Always need some comedic relief.

You need to see Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 then. A new joke every 5 seconds.