The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

I laugh the most watching "The Avengers".

Whedon's wit cannot be topped, and unlike Guardians of the Galaxy, he's got Robert Downey Jr. to his disposal.

Its Marvel's masterpiece, and my favorite action-comedy of all time.

I was underwhelmed by the first Avengers, to be honest. I found the whole affair a bit... tedious? As if the entire movie consisted of action setpieces loosely strung together in the shape of a story.

I thought Ragnarok was great. Gorgeous production design, nicely paced, and I really dug the deadpan Wes Anderson-esque comedy. The narrative is very bare-bones, but it's all the creative stuff on top of it that made the movie work.

14 hours ago, John said:

I was underwhelmed by the first Avengers, to be honest. I found the whole affair a bit... tedious? As if the entire movie consisted of action setpieces loosely strung together in the shape of a story.

Comedies are a very subjective thing, so there's no point in pressing the issue. Either you find it funny or you don't.

I, for instance, didn't laugh nearly as often during Ragnarok. I thought it was a Guardians of the Galaxy film (for an aesthetic point of view) mascarading as a Thor film. It certainly didn't feel congurous with the previous two at all.

17 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I laugh the most watching "The Avengers".

Whedon's wit cannot be topped, and unlike Guardians of the Galaxy, he's got Robert Downey Jr. to his disposal.

Its Marvel's masterpiece, and my favorite action-comedy of all time.

You are JOKING? 

Masterpiece should be reserved for something better.

That trailer was kind of depressing and didn't make me too interested in the movie, though I suppose that's to be expected when you killed off a lot of witty and trailer-friendly characters in the last film.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Comedies are a very subjective thing, so there's no point in pressing the issue. Either you find it funny or you don't.

I thought the humor was fine, it was everything else that I found lackluster.

Its not without flaws, that's for sure.

Flat lighting (which isn't necessarily bad for a comedy) and not terribly inspired camerawork being one of its detracting factors.

But at the end of the day, the point of a comedy is to make you laugh. Everything else is besides the point.

46 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Masterpiece should be reserved for something better.

You'll note that I'm referring to it as a comedy.

I think its a brilliant action-comedy.

I'm gonna have to agree with Joe here. It's got some really clever one-liners and jokes, but "brilliant"?

I also wouldn't go so far as to call it a comedy before an action film, which, IMO, is what it is first and foremost.

Hence action-comedy. 😉

As for the quality of the comedy - that's highly subjective. I laugh my ass off on account of it - every single time.

If you don't look at it as a comedy there's really not too much to appreciate here. There's certainly no real sense of stakes: I never felt that the Avengers were ever truly being overwhelmed, and like I said a lot of the technical aspects of the film aren't too impressive, either.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 9:22 AM, Jay said:

That trailer was kind of depressing and didn't make me too interested in the movie, though I suppose that's to be expected when you killed off a lot of witty and trailer-friendly characters in the last film.

The difficulty with promoting this movie will be hiding which characters stay dead. Trailers will only be able to show those who were known to be alive or unknown at the end of the last one. 

Will there come a time when people are tired of superheroes? Spielberg likes to think so, but maybe he's no longer in touch with the critical demands of today's audiences. Maybe they are the endstation of the film medium, sweeping the box-office forever ... 

There are 7 superhero films coming out every year...out of hundreds and hundreds of releases. Yeah, they make money. But it's hardly a flood. The percentage if westerns back in the day was higher.

Karol

Well, Westerns are easier to produce and can be made relatively cheap. Anyway, I was wondering how long superhero movies will dominate the box-office, I wasn't complaining that there's a flood. 

Hopefully it will die down within the next few years. 

I mean, I like quite a few of those films but enough already!

I believe trends in cinema tend to have a longevity of 25-30 years, so we should be getting there.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Hopefully it will die down within the next few years. 

I mean, I like quite a few of those films but enough already!

I believe trends in cinema tend to have a longevity of 25-30 years, so we should be getting there.

But why complain? I bet you have several hunders of other films to watch every year. You could watch one a day and not encounter a single superhero film.

Karol

I complain that there aren't hundreds of other movies for me to watch!

So after superhero movies are gone, back to the Western? Buddy cop movies? What?!

On January 11, 2019 at 4:33 AM, Chen G. said:

That's what amazes me. MARVEL has been going at a pretty steady pace for a while now, and I wouldn't say, especially with the last few films which have noted success (such as Infinty War, Black Panther, etc.) that the popularity of the films is declining, or that they are a dying trend. They are plenty of movie-goers out here who are not quite tired of MARVEL yet, or superheroes in general. But yes, they will surely have to die down soon considering that we "should be getting there".

However, I believe that the past few years in general for superhero films has been very, very good, on the MARVEL and DC sides. I know  that Wonder Woman was up there for DCO, sequel coming, and Aquaman was an interesting holiday flick this year. And of course MARVEL came out with a slew of films: Thor: Ragnarok, Spider-Man Homecoming, Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse, Infinity War, Ant Man, Ant Man and the Wasp, Black Panther, upcoming Captain Marvel and Spider-Man Far From Home, as well as some other follow ups and the finale of some sort in End Game. It doesn't appear a downward trend, but if you take a step back and see all the films they've released lately, it's been a lot! 

So I think my problem with superhero films dying down is the question of what would indicate that? An estimated longevity of cinematic trends? Look at Star Wars. The original trilogy came out, followed by the prequels around two decades later. And then Disney comes in and breaks the box office with The Force Awakens, and then Rogue One and the controversial The Last Jedi. It's an off-and-on trend, and this most recent span appears to have been the ugliest as far as "fan" reaction. Is that the case for MARVEL? Surely if they slow things down as a result of a declining trend, they would pick back up again and have another stint of glory, no? 

Just some thoughts.

A sign that they are on the way out could be when lots of influencers would be saying "The Russo Brothers killed Marvel" (like they did with Star Wars and Rian Johnson) but that is absolutely not the case right now. They are still regarded as the highlight of the year. And you're right, even DC is doing well, even with Aquaman, a titled most people thought was going to be another DC failure. 

I'm just waiting for Michael Giacchino for the most part, who I have some good expectations for following the groovy Spiderman: Homecoming soundtrack.

59 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm just waiting for Michael Giacchino for the most part, who I have some good expectations for following the groovy Spiderman: Homecoming soundtrack.

Same here, loved that score - especially the main theme (not to mention that fantastic 1960s theme appearance).

I think I also remember reading somewhere at the time that Giacchino was planning on evolving his theme as Spider-Man grows as a character (from an inexperienced teenager with superpowers to a full on superhero), so hopefully we'll get that to some degree in Far From Home. Thematic continuity has been somewhat lacking in the MCU, so it'll be nice to actually get a theme that grows alongside the character it's representing.

5 minutes ago, Zanobard said:

Same here, loved that score - especially the main theme (not to mention that fantastic 1960s theme appearance).

That was brilliant! Yes! 

5 minutes ago, Zanobard said:

I think I also remember reading somewhere at the time that Giacchino was planning on evolving his theme as Spider-Man grows as a character (from an inexperienced teenager with superpowers to a full on superhero), so hopefully we'll get that to some degree in Far From Home. Thematic continuity has been somewhat lacking in the MCU, so it'll be nice to actually get a theme that grows alongside the character it's representing.

It's been a while since we've heard that kind of thematic evolution in superhero films. Spider-man seems as good a character as any. 

I must say, Goransson's Black Panther theme felt truly triumphant and heroic, and really hit the nail on the head.

I was disappointed at the missed opportunity that was Avengers Infinity War. The score could've been a grand culmination of all the themes and motifs previously used, mixed in with great action writing and few more gravitas cues. 

I have high hopes for Far from Home's score. Homecoming was just so groovy and fun! The epitome of that was no doubt Academic Decommitment; when the drums go wild as an interlude into the last shabang of the cue!

6 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I was disappointed at the missed opportunity that was Avengers Infinity War. The score could've been a grand culmination of all the themes and motifs previously used, mixed in with great action writing and few more gravitas cues.

Yeah, Infinity War was definitely disappointing in that regard. There's still Endgame though, so here's hoping that Silvestri properly goes for it this time - ideally with a couple of excellent action cues and a bit of an evolution for the Avengers theme.

9 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I have high hopes for Far from Home's score. Homecoming was just so groovy and fun! The epitome of that was no doubt Academic Decommitment; when the drums go wild as an interlude into the last shabang of the cue!

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. Giacchino seems to really understand this iteration of Peter Parker, as his music reflects the character really well (Academic Decommitment of course being a great example of this) so fingers crossed we get a solid sequel score.