The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Giacchino's sequel scores are universally good, almost always better than the first (maybe Incredibles 2 is the only one that isn't) so my expectations for Far From Home's score can't be higher!

On 1/11/2019 at 3:33 AM, Chen G. said:

Hopefully it will die down within the next few years. 

I mean, I like quite a few of those films but enough already!

I believe trends in cinema tend to have a longevity of 25-30 years, so we should be getting there.

Have you anything to back up this last statement?

Now that Marvel has the FF and Xmen the universe got larger and more opportunistic.  

4 hours ago, W0$ said:

Well this trailer royally spoils the resolution of Endgame. I guess it had to. 

I’m not seeing Tony anywhere in the trailer, though.

5 hours ago, W0$ said:

Well this trailer royally spoils the resolution of Endgame. I guess it had to. 

It certainly lessens the impact. There was no reason to show this trailer untill May.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

It certainly lessens the impact. There was no reason to show this trailer untill May.

Actually, there is. Sony is the distributor. Their interests are their own, and somewhat exclusive from Marvel/Disney's. They do not want to risk zero publicity until May. 

I wonder if the results of Thanos' snap is that all who turned to dust in this universe woke up to find themselves in another universe. Far from Home would be showing the Parker and Fury who made the trip. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Black Panther is okay but if I was a kid, I'd have been upset there was no actual panther in it. As a child, I'd get excited if there was a Pink Panther movie on just for the animated main title, then I'd get restless when the actual movie was on and I'd change the channel.

I'm waiting for A LEAP IN THE DARK (where the Panther destroys a snooker baize, and goes to a nudist camp), THE RETURN OF THE BLACK PANTHER (where the Panther attacks a masseuse with a vacuum cleaner, and gets electrocuted by sticking his finger in a wall socket), and THE BLACK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN (where the Panther farts in an elevator, surrounded by gangsters).

3 hours ago, dougie said:

Black Panther is okay but if I was a kid, I'd have been upset there was no actual panther in it. 

That's not why I didn't like it.

8 hours ago, Alex said:

Finally caught up with all the Marvel movies (there’s so many, and people complain about Star Wars!). I really did not enjoy Infinity War. Am I alone in this?

You're not alone. I found Infinity War quite disappointing and unsatisfying. It had great moments in it but... it felt like too much got crammed in there, and the ending was meant to be a 'shock' ending, which was wasted before the film came out because Marvel confirmed the cast list for Endgame and some of the Phase 4 films.

Infinity War is a good film. Its just a shame that its attempt at establishing a sense of stakes is undermined by the Marvel aesthetic.

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Great score!

Dunno about great, but its certainly a notch above most of Marvel's output.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Infinity War had only one big problem for me, Alan Silvestri.

Silvestri bring the excitement, the drama and the glory of the film. Remove it and the movie lost 50% of his force.

The death of Gamora !

11 minutes ago, Obi said:

Silvestri bring the excitement, the drama and the glory of the film. Remove it and the movie lost 50% of his force.

The death of Gamora !

The death of Gamora and the final scenes worked because the events were moving. The score just annoyed me.

1 hour ago, Obi said:

The death of Gamora !

Silvestri impressed in only 3 moments - for the main title, for Cap's entry and for Thor's entry into battle. All 3 used the theme he had composed 6 years ago.

We will have at least 2 more Stan Lee cameos and maybe one in Dark Phoenix and one in Far from Home.

I felt the film was far too long with too many character shoehorned in. I felt Thanos was pretty underdeveloped as a villain and he seems to obtain the infinity stones with far too much ease. And obviously the ending, which didn’t really have any gravitas or tension to it as we know they’ll all be back (probably).

Saying that, the action sequences and score were good, and some of the humour wasn’t *too* on the nose.

I hope they get Luis from Ant-Man to recap it all at the start of Endgame.

10 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Silvestri impressed in only 3 moments - for the main title, for Cap's entry and for Thor's entry into battle. All 3 used the theme he had composed 6 years ago.

I really dig that heroic ostinato he made for Spider-Man's introduction. He's done that riff in other scores, although it was effective here.

On 1/15/2019 at 12:59 PM, Jay said:

Giacchino's sequel scores are universally good, almost always better than the first (maybe Incredibles 2 is the only one that isn't) so my expectations for Far From Home's score can't be higher!

Incredibles 2 has a better recording than the original, so there's that!

Also, I wish Giacchino had the 1960's show theme as the main theme rather than just have it cameo, but what the hey.

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

The post above deserves a 7th grade rolls eye.

Sorry for having a different opinion to you, buddy.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I thought he was going to disappoint but Thanos was the best thing of the movie. An underdeveloped villain? What more would you liked to have seen? 

I just felt I didn’t really know him or his intentions. Maybe if he had appeared more in previous films? I’m not sure.

13 hours ago, Alex said:

too many character shoehorned in.

There's some truth to that, I feel.

In terms of actual characters that have a meaningful role in this film, there really aren't too many: Its basically just Thanos, Tony (who's always a delight), Star-Lord, Gammora, Strange and Wanda. Maybe Thor, as well. The rest are really just extended cameos.

Although I suspect it'll play together nicely with Endgame, which is basically the cast of the original The Avengers.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

There's some truth to that, I feel.

In terms of actual characters that have meaningful role in this film, there really aren't too many: Its basically just Thanos, Tony (who's always a delight), Star-Lord, Gammora, Strange and Wanda.

And Thor.

Karol

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He states his intentions several times in the film.

Sorry, that’s true, I think I meant that I still didn’t get why he was doing it all. Is he Death? Is he genuinely concerned about overpopulation? Maybe I’m overthinking it. As someone who watches these films more as a film goer, than comic book fan, I just found it confusing.