The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Watched Captain Marvel. Very “meh”. Probably wouldn’t see it again.

Mehsogyny!

People who ardently defend these sorts of movies as if they're grand masterpieces in response to even the most benign constructive criticism seem to be getting worse.

It was apparent there was a polarised divide between viewers of TLJ, but now if a film like that or Captain Marvel "gave me da feelz", any criticism of its stucture or its final result is to be met with scorn and anger. The online factions fighting over something as banal as pop culture seem to be more militant than they ever were before. What the hell happened? Given that much of the criticism toward CM is that the protagonist isn't all that well developed, her origin isn't all that compelling and her wider role in the series seems like a retcon, I don't know, do the militant feminist defenders demand different forms of storytelling that us blokes have been used to for decades? Do they just want expressions of empowerment for empowerment's sake at the expense of character development?

And if you dare reference slasher movie "final girls" or revered female icons like Ellen Ripley or Sarah Connor, the Twitter feminists reckon that a female character shouldn't need to be made to suffer like they did on-screen to achieve their icon status.

Fucked if I know. These people all seem to have an answer for everything.

I didn’t even feel that Captain Marvel was overly political or anything, it just wasn’t that entertaining, and I agree her character was underdeveloped.

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

I didn’t even feel that Captain Marvel was overly political or anything

There might not be any overt sexual politics within the film, but the politics surrounding the film are definitely present - the usual zero sum "it was terrible!/it was a masterpiece!"

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Did she use her femininity to achieve her goals sometimes, or is she just like any other superhero?

She #MeToo‘d the main villain and he lost everything 

After seeing all the marketing surrounding the film - statements from the actors about how progressive it is and how it's meant to be empowering for women, and then watching the film, I didn't come away with any of those sentiments. Those messages need to be straightened out during the writing process which is this films greatest detriment, not Brie Larson's acting.

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised at how jumbled this film was - it has six writers! 

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Not very exciting this trailer is.

I thought it went for emotional effect. 

Good they're not showing much. Perhaps the rumours that the trailers won't show anything beyond the film's 30-minute mark were true after all.

Karol

Yep - that was the second trailer and the movie comes out in a little over a month.  I think that will be it, besides TV spots that might have a different shot or two

Goes to show this entire social justice bullshit is a scam and a fraud perpetrated upon the public to advance whatever ulterior agenda that powers that be want.

For shame.

How isn't hollywood just imploding with hypocrisy?

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Goes to show this entire social justice bullshit is a scam

In Gunn's case it was particularly distastful because - from memory, he was laid off because of old jokes which were a) a long time removed from his involvement with The Guardians of the Galaxy; b) unrelated to his work and c) were just jokes!

On semi-related news, there's a poster of Endgame released. Tony's all over it. I hope he'd be front-and-center to the narrative of the film, as he indeed was in all Avengers films hitherto.

30 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He will certainly die with honour.

No. That's much more of a fitting ending for Captain America.

Tony needs a Last Crusade type ending, methinks.

I wonder if the scene in the endgame trailer with Captain America in his uniform looks like he's about to die

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

No. That's much more of a fitting ending for Captain America.

Wrong, Tony sacrificing himself, laying down on the grenade while the other guy walks away unscathed is something that has been set up since The Avengers 

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Wrong, Tony sacrificing himself, laying down on the grenade while the other guy walks away unscathed is something that has been set up since The Avengers 

Wasn't it Steve Rogers who threw himself on the dummy grenade, which proved his worth to TLJ?