The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

On 5/8/2019 at 9:42 PM, Disco Stu said:

And Moonlight didn't even crack my top 25.  What a horribly overrated movie.

It's a fine movie. I'm glad to have watched it before the award season and could judge it purely on its own merits without anyone telling me how "important and topical" it is. Shame it will be mostly remembered as the thing that got caught up in some Oscar controversy (if there is such a thing).

Karol

The nice thing about movies is that some people like the ones other people don’t!  It’s just subjectivity!

Heres my tops of 2016, it has 100% fewer Lalalands because I never saw it.

A824BDC6-4655-4F2F-9015-A6D012A1D080.png

I saw so few movies from 2016 that my bottoms are just one screen down.  But my star ratings run high - where 5/10 is really a true "ok" score, I've been socialized to see 7/10 as an "ok," leaving not a lot of wiggle room for nuance in the higher ratings, and plenty of room for nuance in the lower numbers that I rarely use anyway.

8/10 usually means "I liked it well enough but I wouldn't watch it again," although I've seen the animated ones again because children.  9/10 is a "maybe watch again," and 10/10 is personal classics, and probably will watch again.  The 10/10s are probably pretty subjectively swayed by nostalgia, too.  Anyway, here are my only 10/10 movies!

B0BDD368-6239-4A88-9065-A23DB78BBFB2.jpeg

Theres an MCU movie in that picture! This is on topic!

15 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I saw so few movies from 2016 that my bottoms are just one screen down.  But my star ratings run high - where 5/10 is really a true "ok" score, I've been socialized to see 7/10 as an "ok," leaving not a lot of wiggle room for nuance in the higher ratings, and plenty of room for nuance in the lower numbers that I rarely use anyway.

8/10 usually means "I liked it well enough but I wouldn't watch it again," although I've seen the animated ones again because children.  9/10 is a "maybe watch again," and 10/10 is personal classics, and probably will watch again.  The 10/10s are probably pretty subjectively swayed by nostalgia, too.  Anyway, here are my only 10/10 movies!

Actually the majority of my list 3 stars or above.  There's a cliff once you get past 25.

Also I misremembered, Zootopia is in my bottom 10, not bottom 5.  Also, Moonlight did crack my top 25... at 24! :P

image.png

Also, major update (I know everyone was waiting with baited breath), but I'd forgotten to update my list after I saw the great movie Paterson last year, which I loved.  Cracks my top 10 for sure.  Sorry Jason, that pushed Hell or High Water out of the top 10.  But the movie should be grateful.  Stu's list is an absolute good, his list is life.

image.png

On 5/22/2018 at 10:18 PM, Disco Stu said:

Inspired by a brief aside in another thread earlier, I decided to watch Jim Jarmusch's last film Paterson, streaming on Amazon.  It worked a quiet spell on me.  One of his very best.

There's real power in his quietly observed films, with their wonderful punctuations of perfect deadpan comedy.  They always seem just this close to tilting into absurdity, and never quite do.  It's his mastery of a wholly original tone.  This is one of his more contemplative and warmly human movies.  It should also be said I'd never thought about how much Jarmusch's filmic style is indebted to the poetry of William Carlos Williams, until I saw this movie which is practically a tribute to him.

Much like with Wes Anderson, I don't even really think about if a particular Jarmusch is good or bad.  I don't view his work through that paradigm.  I'm just always on board to enter his world.

Moonlight is the worst best picture winner I have ever seen. Its gay experience reads false and untrue.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:36 AM, Alexcremers said:

Was this posted already?

It was posted a mere 20 posts before yours.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

It was posted a mere 20 posts before yours.

I guess I must have overlooked it (like 20 times).

Will Uncle Ben ever be introduced into the MCU? He’s quite a big influence in Peter Parker’s life. Maybe that role was taken by Tony.

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

Will Uncle Ben ever be introduced into the MCU? He’s quite a big influence in Peter Parker’s life. Maybe that role was taken by Tony.

I feel like it's the ultimate moment for a funnybook character and perfectly done in the Spider-Man trilogy. He lets that asshole get away with the other asshole's money for some petty revenge. That choice really defines the character and his struggles between sacrificing everything and having the things he wants. I think it's even better than Batman's origins.

Batman makes no sense as a character.  He just looks cool basically.  Spider-Man is very human and relatable and has powers foisted upon him without choice. 

I was pulled a bat off my wall and set it free. 

I step on spiders.

Am I the only one bored by these movies now? I feel like I’ve seen them

all a thousand times, they’re all the same. Or they make you feel the same, at least.

Gyllenhall, I like, but will he carry the movie? Would I go and see this movie based solely on his participation?

No, I don’t think so...

Dr. Strange 2, will probably be the next MCU movie for me.

It’s not MCU, but I am looking forward to Brightburn, though, it seems that that one could be slightly different.

Brightburn will be different than Marvel but it's a horror flick and, I dunno, I have a feeling it's not going to be good. 

BTW, Doctor Strange had a weak sense of storytelling (the art of telling a story, not the story itself) so I can't say I look forward to see the sequel if it's by the same storyteller.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Also, compared to some of the comic stuff ive seen. A bit bland visually?

I wouldn't know about bland. The use of magic in Doctor Strange was very visually engaging, and when in the other scenes it doesn't have that TV-movie aesthetic of high-key lighting.

The rest of the film - its fine. But I'm getting tired with saying that about MCU films.

The magic elements felt too... restrained.

I wanted them to conjure dragons and go super Saiyan, darnit! Hopefully we’ll get some of that in the sequel. 

55 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A bit bland ...?

I suspect the scenes are so ridiculously complicated (blue/green screen wise) that the direction turned out to be somewhat dull. I always thought the film was technically accomplished but artistically lacking. 

36 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I always thought the film was technically accomplished but artistically lacking. 

Sums up lots of Marvel's output, really.

The Avengers.

Honourable mentions go to Iron Man, Infinity War and - while I like Marvel more on its comedic leg - The Winter Soldier.

For my money, there isn't "so far". The MCU ends with Endgame.

Dr. Strange was a fuckin' chore to sit through, mostly made watchable by Swinton. I thought it was a waste of its high concept premise.