The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

26 minutes ago, Wojism said:

Two highly relevant people in the entertainment industry used Twitter to say hateful things about others, which was found to be offensive, and some theories supervisors fired them to save face and satisfy those who were offended. Rehiring one would be hypocritical to the other. Apologies and the timing of the actual Tweets are irrelevant. End of discussion. 

I think there's a fine line between being hypocritical and being considerate to the specifics of each case.

But why hire a guy who posted "offensive" tweets in the first place? It was public knowledge way before the first film. Seems a bit late to be playing moral police now. 

Karol

58 minutes ago, Wojism said:

You're both splitting hairs because you like Marvel movies and because Roseanne is an evil Trump supporter. 

Two highly relevant people in the entertainment industry used Twitter to say hateful things about others, which was found to be offensive, and some theories supervisors fired them to save face and satisfy those who were offended. Rehiring one would be hypocritical to the other. Apologies and the timing of the actual Tweets are irrelevant. End of discussion. 

I’m not even that much of a Marvel fan nor do I care that much about Roseanne. James Gunn apologised and acknowledged the tastelessness of what he said (BEFORE he got fired). Roseanne hasn’t even acknowledged what she said was wrong and any apology she made came after she lost her tv show. Her tweets were also a personal attack on someone.

16 hours ago, crocodile said:

But why hire a guy who posted "offensive" tweets in the first place? It was public knowledge way before the first film. Seems a bit late to be playing moral police now. 

Karol

Exactly. Yet the social climate as it stands now, particularly in the wake of the #metoo movement has shifted public perception and what's PC. Disney have to watch everything they say and do and who's affiliated with them for fear of retaliation from the left-leaning audiences. That's why it's curious this whole thing was started by a conservative site.

Disney should have more conviction and more of a spine and stand up for Gunn, who despite those tweets he made in the past was evidently doing a lot of good now.

Because folks want to convince themselves all the world's problems can be rooted to someone's offensive tweets. Much easier problem to confront than, say, no clean water in Flint. 

If someone's 'triggered' by seeing offensive tweets it's almost synonymous with a form of abuse, mental or physical. 

Disney probably don't give a fuck about what anyone said, they care about the green stuff, and if today's audiences are far left, SJW's with a bent for feeling offended, Disney have to bend over backwards to disassociate themselves from the controversy.

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Disney probably don't give a fuck about what anyone said, they care about the green stuff, and if today's audiences are far left, SJW's with a bent for feeling offended, Disney have to bend over backwards to disassociate themselves from the controversy.

With all the crazy political crap that pervades the hate for The Last Jedi, you think Disney would cater to the opposite of what you describe! I guess they don't want to jeapordize social media clout and their standing with college clubs.

Exceedingly more people find ways to litigate their irrational beliefs. Everyday a new way to be offended is discovered and these people won't rest until they feel they've undone all the wrong in the world and replaced it with their own.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Exceedingly more people find ways to litigate their irrational beliefs. Everyday a new way to be offended is discovered and these people won't rest until they feel they've undone all the wrong in the world and replaced it with their own.

With these ever-changing criteria for inclusivity is bred exclusivity! 

• 2 weeks later...

According to their logic, what is the point of firing him if they'll still use the script he already wrote with his dirty paedophilic abomination of a mind?

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

According to their logic, what is the point of firing him if they'll still use the script he already wrote with his dirty paedophilic abomination of a mind?

Maybe they won't have to pay him.

Whether or not he has profit points, who knows. That's negotiation stuff. I'd bet Marvel wouldn't let points go without a fight.  They'd be better off paying him more up front than giving a cut of the profits.

If they use his script, he'll get residuals (a cut of TV, video, streaming deals, etc).  That's Writer's Guild stuff and isn't really subject to negotiation.

Last Tuesday, there supposedly was a meeting with James Gunn, his management and Disney to see if they could work something out but Disney said they won't come back on their decision.

Apparently, this doesn't mean the end of Gunn as a director/writer as other studios are welcoming Gunn with open arms, or so they say.

Because they've been aware of it.  The same controversy arose when he was first hired for GOTG.  Gunn had since publicly addressed/apologized for it.  He was hired in spite of those tweets, so it stands to reason that he wasn't fired because of them.  He was fired because of the bad PR around them in 2018.

Bad PR in the middle of negotiations weakens your hand. 

I think we take it for granted now but years ago, it seemed like a pipe dream having all these characters on screen together in these big crossover films. I remember having to pinch myself when I saw Freddy and Jason on screen together, or the Alien and the Predator.

In the not too distant future, we'll likely see the X-Men and the Fantastic Four palling around with all of these characters as well.

As another happy result of the Fox/Marvel deal, as of last week there's actually a new Fantastic Four comic on shelves for the first time in three years.

With Avengers 4 already scripted and shot, and since the Disney/Fox deal isn't even technicallty final at this point, I doubt it - although I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more characters pop up in a post-credits scene.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Avengers: Infinity War proved we don't need James Gunn. I laughed with the Guardians regardless.

James Gunn provided ideas for the guardians scenes in Infinity War.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

James Gunn wrote all the GOTG stuff of that film. But the Russo bros directed it better.

Is this verified? Because considering they have such a large presence in the film and Gomorrah is so central to the story, if he had that big of a contribution he would get screenplay credit.

He might have been consulted but I wonder if he actually wrote the scenes.

On 8/17/2018 at 1:08 AM, Alexcremers said:

Avengers: Infinity War proved we don't need James Gunn. I laughed with the Guardians regardless.

On 8/17/2018 at 4:09 AM, Stefancos said:

James Gunn wrote all the GOTG stuff of that film. But the Russo bros directed it better.

I think Gunn posted a pic of the script he provided for Infinity War.

Still, I think they were under used in that piece of glorified shit. I laughed hysterically that this is what constitutes a blockbuster and that so many people take these films seriously.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Still, I think they were under used in that piece of glorified shit. 

Who wasn't, except for Thanos? That's the problem with putting too many good guys into a movie.

For me personally, Spider-man Homecoming could have leaned a little less heavily on Iron Man.  The action, plot, humor, and characterization were all on point though - especially after Spider-man and Vulture suss out each other's identities.

Just now, mstrox said:

For me personally, Spider-man Homecoming could have leaned a little less heavily on Iron Man.

Agreed.  It wasn't perfect.  It got a lot right, though.

I thought it was a lot of fun and didn't mind the Iron Man stuff at all, in fact I liked it.  I think the movie would have lost some of its charm without the banter between the two, and Tony Stark as the quasi father figure brought some heart to the whole thing and was integral to Parker's growth.