The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

24 minutes ago, dougie said:

Wasn't it Steve Rogers who threw himself on the dummy grenade, which proved his worth to TLJ?

Yes, and by doing the same it will be the resolution to Stark's arc. Going from self-centered arms dealer to someone who sacrificed himself to save 50% of the universe.

I've seen all except Ant-Man 2 and Captain Marvel. They're usually fun, though a bit hit and miss, and even the misses are about as okay as a filler TV episode. Some are prone to tropey excesses like GotGv2.

I really can't watch any of these movies any more. On a couple of recent flights, I tried watching Spiderman: Homecoming, Thor Ragnarok, Ant Man 2, Black Panther and Infinity War. The only one I managed to finish was Spiderman, and that only because it was the first I tried to watch. I did not enjoy any of them

Will future films in this franchise have the same mass appeal as they've previously experienced when RDJ, Evans, Ruffalo, Hemsworth and ScarJo all decide to move on? I'm having trouble seeing it all thriving the same way with Brie Larson, Black Cat, and Spider-Boy and whichever other obscure superhero they decide to excavate leading the charge.

Just now, dougie said:

He usually gets top billing ...

True, but the Cap is standing in the center of the poster with everybody else being merely floating heads, so he's obviously the leader. 

19 minutes ago, dougie said:

I thought he was the boss Avenger.

He certainly was, in effect, the protagonist in all Avengers movies hitherto.

He's the cornerstone of the MCU.

Captain is a great heroic character. His problem today is people want anti-heroes., they would rather root for vile trashy scum than a true good guy. 

23 hours ago, mstrox said:

His movies make more money.

Downey's 3 solo outings made more money than Cap's 3 solo outings and the for the last Cap outing, it arguably made as much money because Downey was in it!

23 hours ago, dougie said:

Isn't Tony Stark the leader?

He's kinda sorta the biggest grandest most flawed yet most humane character. But on paper yes, Cap's the leader. As they say in Corporate America, Tony's too much of a great individual contributor to be a good leader of people. And he has too many demons. 

--

On side a note - this film will be interesting character prominence wise. I thought Infinity War had a very curious grouping of main characters which made the film fascinating to watch and in some ways pretty bold. Thanos is by far the lead character of the film. But on the good guys' side - the 'action' characters - or the ones driving the narrative forward with their actions and choices are Dr. Strange, Thor and Scarlett Witch and the character whose fate drives the film is Gomorroah. So there you have it - the 5 main characters for Infinity War were Thanos, Gomorrah, Dr. Strange, Thor and Scarlett Witch. I bet nobody expected that. Cap and Black Panther were glorified cameos. Tony had a small supporting role to play.

So it will be interesting to see who gets to stand out in Endgame.

Antiheroes are heroes that aren't perfect (character flaws, not always the right cause, etc.). Tony Stark might very well be one of them. The Cap is a straight-up hero.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

It's why Joe likes him.

No. Its because Reeve plays two different characters and makes each believable. 

The acting in Superman is superb. Reeve is perfect. Kidder is goofy and real. Hackman is clearly having a ball. Beaty and Perine are simply marvelous.

Ti-Tanic