The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

16 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The death of Gamora and the final scenes worked because the events were moving. The score just annoyed me.

Rewatch without sound.

My favourite parts of it was when the Stones were used in semi-creative ways so you could distinguish them at least somewhat - like the use of the Reality Stone in Knowhere. Mostly though they were checklist quest items which when combined, gave the awesome power of shooting colourful magic laser beams the exact same way as everyone else seemed to be able to, and be stronger in boring samey punchouts.

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But it really isn't confusing at all.

He thinks there are too many people using up all the universe's resources, and he wants to get rid of 50% of them, indiscriminately.

Yeah, I guess that motivation makes him a great villain?

I liked his motivation in the comics better, that he was having a cosmic pissing contest with Death. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

But it really isn't confusing at all.

He thinks there are too many people using up all the universe's resources, and he wants to get rid of 50% of them, indiscriminately.

Personally, I think that's how he likes to present it, but in essence, he wants to rule the galaxy. Destroying half the population of every planet makes clear that everyone in the universe must submit to his supremacy. Many dictators have done gruesome things which they themselves deemed noble. 

26 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

in essence, he wants to rule the galaxy.

But he doesn't. He very clearly wants to sit in his cabin and watch the sunrise, and indeed that's what he preceeds to do. If the trailers of Endgame are of any indications, he's still at it.

I would like it if the opening of Endgame would present (very succintly) the practcal flaw of his philosophy. i.e. that if you cut the size of any given society by half, it isn't going to continue to function like it used to, even though there are technically more resources per capita. The entire economy would need to readjust.

Showing how devestated earth was left in the aftermath would give the film a sense of scope somewhat missing from Infinity War, and give that much more meaning to the heroes' inevitable triumph.

22 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Star Lord is basically a criminal responsible for the death of half of the universe. No excuses for the bastard for not only not helping, but waking up Thanos. Stark also reacted incorrectly to him. He should have knocked him out with a metal fist the first moment operation was disturbed. Easier to fix that guy's brain afterwards than bring back half the universe, no?

Sometimes I think people have forgot how to watch tragedies or tragic storylines. In a world of franchises rehashing The Hero's Journey, ther'es such an overbearing emphasis on "likable" leads that it becomes really crippling for storytellers.

You can't tell a tragic storyline such as (in this film) Star Lord's, without letting the character make bad, stupid or generally unlikable decisions: I mean, that's literally the point of tragedy; and it often makes for much, much more interesting characters.

14 hours ago, Alex said:

Sorry for having a different opinion to you, buddy.

I just felt I didn’t really know him or his intentions. Maybe if he had appeared more in previous films? I’m not sure.

Every now and then a a post comes along that tells you so much.

17 hours ago, dougie said:

To save the remaining lifeforms from terrible universal climate change.

That will be Galactus, who will be quite upset that Thanos snapped away half his buffet. 

I dislike Chris Pratt and GOTG but Star Lord was consumed by grief and his actions are forgviable. Thanos is responsible for his actions not Quill.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:51 AM, Chen G. said:

Sometimes I think people have forgot how to watch tragedies or tragic storylines. In a world of franchises rehashing The Hero's Journey, ther'es such an overbearing emphasis on "likable" leads that it becomes really crippling for storytellers.

You can't tell a tragic storyline such as (in this film) Star Lord's, without letting the character make bad, stupid or generally unlikable decisions: I mean, that's literally the point of tragedy; and it often makes for much, much more interesting characters.

Turambar!

Apparently, Captain Marvel got an unexpectedly mixed reaction from critic ( i mean coming on the heels of revolutionary, academy award-winning movie Black Panther and being Marvel's answer to highly overrated Wonder Woman )

according to more reliable Metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/movie/captain-marvel

But we will never let critics dictate what we feel about movies!

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

Hopefully the mixed reviews will keep the crowds low - we're going on Friday night!

You are not being realistic.  

I saw Solo on opening day and until about 5 minutes before the show, I was alone in the theater!

Benefit of having four multiplexes, an indie theater, and a second run theater in my 10-mile radius.  Last time I had to sit next to someone other than my party was The Force Awakens

Seen it. The titular movie 

So sad that they really missed the opportunity here. They can turn this into great empowerment movie, but what we get is a pure filler episode. Like a middle of the road GOT episode. Even so called another filler, ant man 2 brings something in to the grand scheme of things.

And You know that this movie is wrong when it basically ends on Silvestri's Avengers theme.

Now i get the mixed reaction. There hasnt been a Marvel movie where i really want to skip to the end. :(

and Larson, now i would like to question her Oscar...,

please replace her with Meryl Streep asap

I thought Liam Neeson's 'confession' during that Cold Pursuit interview was going to be the most WTF?!? thing this year a movie's star said in the course of its promotion.

However, this morning I heard about Larson's 'I don't want white men to come and see this, it's not for them' comments about Captain Marvel and I realise I was wrong.  

2 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I thought Liam Neeson's 'confession' during that Cold Pursuit interview was going to be the most WTF?!? thing this year a movie's star said in the course of its promotion.

However, this morning I heard about Larson's 'I don't want white men to come and see this, it's not for them' comments about Captain Marvel and I realise I was wrong.  

I don't think she said this. She said she wanted more diversity in the press reviewing the movie.

Look for a video of the statement instead of the grapevine reporting.  It's definitely not as severe verbally as it is in writing, and certainly not as severe as where the frothing Twitter/Reddit people took it.

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

Brie Larson is certainly a very good actress.  Can't really blame her if the part here is underwritten

yeah perhaps. This part doesnt do her justice.

whereas..

220px-Gal_Gadot_cropped_lighting_correct

edit: well just put Streep in all superhero movies and take my money !

2118.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

On 3/5/2019 at 4:31 PM, mstrox said:

I saw Solo on opening day and until about 5 minutes before the show, I was alone in the theater!

Benefit of having four multiplexes, an indie theater, and a second run theater in my 10-mile radius.  Last time I had to sit next to someone other than my party was The Force Awakens

The difference is Captain Marvel will make quite a bit more that Solo could imagine!

Maybe!  I certainly hope it’s a success.

Solo was just a recent example.  My main point was that it’s a pretty extraordinary situation where I see a crowded theater these days

Wait till Endgame. A 3 hr run time will limit the number of screen runs per day

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

My main point was that it’s a pretty extraordinary situation where I see a crowded theater these days

Star wars and Marvel movies break all kinds of records. Surely it's a full house then!

21 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It will make more money in Asia.

That might be the case, as was with Kong: Skull Island. It'll do way better than Pacific Rim at least, since the characters have greater name recognition in the West, and the previous two movies are fairly well regarded.

I just love the way this new movie looks. Seems like they've opted for a Snyder-like aesthetic.