RIP Robin Williams

nightscape94

I saw this last night... was so socked I decided to wait for the morning to write something... still can't process it, though.

Such terrible news.

For me, the first time I took notice of him was with Popeye, so I guess I'll watch that one later today.

So very sad tonight. At the ripe old age of 48, I realized tonight that I have been a fan of Robin Williams and his work for as long as he has been famous. Seriously. I remember watching the very first "Mork" episode of "Happy Days" and even at a young age, I knew that this was someone special. Watched "Mork and Mindy" from the start to finish. (Beautiful theme by Perry Botkin, BTW) I listened to the "Reality... What A Concept" comedy album so many times that I (to this day) know all of the routines verbatim. So much of my youth and adulthood is tied to his work. Watching his HBO comedy specials, where he improved with John Ritter. His un-credited cameo in "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen", seeing "Good Morning, Vietnam" three times in the theatre. Finding out what a talented actor he was in "Dead Poets Society" and "Awakenings".

There is so little to laugh about in the world these days, that when you take away someone who was so brilliant; well, the world just seems a little smaller now. Mr. Williams, you are already missed. Finally, thoughts and prayers for the family and friends left behind.

This is probably a good time to think about those who are feeling lost and alone. If you know someone who is suffering from depression tell them they are not alone and there are resources available to help them through the difficult times. In Canada visit http://www.depressionhurts.ca

The flame that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

Lao Tzu, Te Tao Ching

awful news......i was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times....such a nice guy..to think he made so many people happy yet he was obviously in dreadful pain...Depression is a very serious business .

t

He had that rare emotional range that allowed him to tackle any type of role. From Death To Smoochy to Insomnia, he could pull anything off and he did it with such ease and finesse. A tremendous talent that I will miss very much.

Good Morning, Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, Cadillac Man, Awakenings, Dead Again and The Fisher King were a string of films which came out in the space of a few years when I was in my early teens (and slightly younger), all of which I was hugely fond of at the time. I've actually yet to see any of his post-Hook films other than Insomnia and One Hour Photo (and a couple in which he had cameo appearances), but it was great to see him portray a more sinister side in the latter two, in contrast to the nice-guy persona which characterised most of his early roles.

I hope some more Robin films are coming to netflix soon. Pity the man had to die for me wanting to watch his other work. :blush:

Gonna check out World's Greatest Dad, The Fisher King and The Big Wedding in the meantime.

A huge loss, I always loved him. A great performing artist pretty much unique.

Let's remember also his small collaboration with JW on the Pops Christmas-themed 1992 album Joy to the World, where he was narrator on the piece "A Visit from St. Nicholas ('Twas the Night Before Christmas)".

Is it inappropriate to admit that this morning when I had just woken up I read a topic title saying RIP and Williams and my heart skipped a beat, only to feel a slight sense of relief when it was in fact not John Williams who had died?

Still tragic though. A tremendous talent. But also a man who was haunted by something. which often showed in both his acting and his public appearances.

Damn... He's battling depression, anxiety, and early onset of Parkinson's...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/14/robin-williams-sober-and-battling-parkinsons-according-to-wife/

Even for most of us, a single one of these is devastating... Suffering from all three is beyond unbearable.

Very sad ... as others have said, he was able to bring equal 'weight' to comic and dramatic parts and as an improvisational stand-up he was pretty much peerless. I knew about his previous substance-abuse problems (to quote him, 'Cocaine is God's way of telling you you've got too much money') but not the depression.