Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

So... They just asked the sound design guys to do the choir in Mithril (and I guess Sons Of Durin too)? That's... well... OK...

I would assume only the chanting was the sound design guys, the actual notes (for example the Thorin's theme statement in Sons of Durin) was a real choir.

TThe "choir" was recorded on the fly by some random guy (no Conrad Pope in sight).

That was Peter Cobbin I believe.

TThe "choir" was recorded on the fly by some random guy (no Conrad Pope in sight).

Yup Mark Willsher (the supervising music editor) and Peter Cobbin were there so it was basically the legit scoring crew present when they did that. Also that was the single mention of the music during the whole 3-disc documentaries.

Am I supposed to know who that is?

The guy who recorded/mixed all six of the Tolkien scores.

OK.

I prefer Alex Funke.

The poor man was demoted from the head of the miniature unit to some random 3D camera technician in the Hobbit. Funke was funky back in the era of LotR movies.

I prefer Rick Porras.

A man whose name means "a step" in Finnish is not worth of adoration.

What's the problem? They just microedited the cue in order for it to match the length of the fan credits.

So they can't put it unedited on a RARITIES disc? Or a COMPLETE Recordings release? FotR got the worst treatment of all three CRs anyway, it's criminal.

There was also room on the Rarities for the whole Anduril sequence, which was only partially different, and the alternate Ash and Smoke, which was basically just a different orchestration. And you're telling me an alternate Breaking of the Fellowship, with minutes of new material, is too familiar?

The FotR CR doesn't only include tracked music, it also retains the edits made in the film. And that's pretty damn awful.

There was also room on the Rarities for the whole Anduril sequence, which was only partially different, and the alternate Ash and Smoke, which was basically just a different orchestration. And you're telling me an alternate Breaking of the Fellowship, with minutes of new material, is too familiar?

This!

The one reason I can see for not including it is that it's heard over the credits. But still, IMO it's a vastly more interesting alternate than some of the material on that disc.

To paraphrase Doug:

"Don't worry, this will be it, there will be no hernia inducing set after this"

What is really funny is that the whole "The Uruk-Hai" cue that was pretty much just a cue with a microedit restored was available complete in the TTT video game already...

To paraphrase Doug:

"Don't worry, this will be it, there will be no hernia inducing set after this"

What is really funny is that the whole "The Uruk-Hai" cue that was pretty much just a cue with a microedit restored was available complete in the TTT video game...

BUT I WANT MORE!

I still think it should have been 2 discs, 1 for orchestral material, the other for (more orchestral material and?) mockups if they felt they needed to stuff those on there.

I'm not calling the CR of FotR awful, the presentation of the music on disc is. And there are plenty of obvious edits. The fading in of the choir in Shortcut To Mushrooms, the removed choir on Weathertop that is still faintly audible, the shortened escape from Balin's Tomb, the awful edit of Treason of Isengard, the removal of In Dreams' coda fading into May It Be ...

There is NO question that FotR got an entirely different treatment than the following two. If you want to call it careless, or something else, well, that's up to you.

the awful edit of Treason of Isengard, the removal of In Dreams' coda fading into May It Be...

What?

What, what?

The removal of the choir there compared to the full recording (on the OST) is awful. I forgive the film edit for this, but not something called Complete Recordings.

In Dreams lacks the lovely oboe bridge after the song, it goes right into tracked Rivendell music on the CR.

I'm not calling the CR of FotR awful, the presentation of the music on disc is. And there are plenty of obvious edits. The fading in of the choir in Shortcut To Mushrooms, the removed choir on Weathertop that is still faintly audible, the shortened escape from Balin's Tomb, the awful edit of Treason of Isengard, the removal of In Dreams' coda fading into May It Be ...

There is NO question that FotR got an entirely different treatment than the following two. If you want to call it careless, or something else, well, that's up to you.

Never noticed edits myself!

I was entirely happy with my FOTR CR until I joined this website!

Same here. Don't taint my blinded love for these CR's!

the awful edit of Treason of Isengard, the removal of In Dreams' coda fading into May It Be...

What?

What, what?

The removal of the choir there compared to the full recording (on the OST) is awful. I forgive the film edit for this, but not something called Complete Recordings.

Thats not really what I would call an edit.

What?

What, what?

And it is following the film version of the piece by removing the choir. I think the idea of giving us the composer's original intentions was just taking its first steps with FotR and on the other hand Shore and his crew must have wanted to give the fans the score as closely as possible to the version heard in the movie. Plus there was always the idea of not repeating material and since the choral versions of those tracks had choir they went with the film versions without it.

Never noticed edits myself!

I was entirely happy with my FOTR CR until I joined this website!

This!

Well yes. I was happy with it too. And I am still happy with it actually.

Should we found a crisis centre for all those disillusioned about the FotR CR after visiting OCD JWFan?

And this is why I stay away from some of the threads here ;)

I am still quite happy with my FOTR CR. JWFan hasn't ruined it for me yet!

There bare still a few film edits I wish we had gotten instead of the later CR versions

(at least they sorta eventually gave us the film version of Flight to the Ford)

There bare still a few film edits I wish we had gotten instead of the later CR versions

(at least they sorta eventually gave us the film version of Flight to the Ford)

How do you mean sort of? It is on the Rarities isn't it?

well all of it is

but the rarities version has the choir for the riverscene too, while the movie just had silence

hence the sort of

Not that I am complaining about the choir, boy howdy

So, in the EE the War Beast music from The Darkest Hour appears during the Battle for the Mountain portion of the battle, was this intended originally or a reshuffling of scenes post scoring?

(BTW the War Beast music from The Darkest Hour is microedited: The Bilbo saves Gandalf music might be crossfaded into the War Beast music at 0:35 and some silence is removed at 0:50)

What?

What, what?

And it is following the film version of the piece by removing the choir. I think the idea of giving us the composer's original intentions was just taking its first steps with FotR and on the other hand Shore and his crew must have wanted to give the fans the score as closely as possible to the version heard in the movie. Plus there was always the idea of not repeating material and since the choral versions of those tracks had choir they went with the film versions without it.

Sorry, but the first part is BS. What steps do you need to take to arrive at "original intentions"? The original intention is the music as recorded. Always. Everything else is apologetic.

If the piece with the originally intended choir was in any shape or form not wanted by the COMPOSER, he wouldn't have put it in full form on the OST. Period. The same goes for everything else.

An editorially created "version" is not an "alternate"; it wasn't newly recorded, it wasn't newly written, for all we know Shore didn't even have a say in the editing process, and such an edit has no justification to appear on a "Complete Recordings" set. Period.

I stand by my assumption, that the CR of FotR is the originally planned isolated score for the EE of the film, which explains why it's so close to the film mix, and only with TTT did the true "let's present these pieces as recorded and remix them" process start, because no isolated score was ever planned after FotR.

So, in the EE the War Beast music from The Darkest Hour appears during the Battle for the Mountain portion of the battle, was this intended originally or a reshuffling of scenes post scoring?

(BTW the War Beast music from The Darkest Hour is microedited: The Bilbo saves Gandalf music might be crossfaded into the War Beast music at 0:35 and some silence is removed at 0:50)

I strongly suspect the scene as it appears in the film is correct, as it coming that much later wouldn't really make sense. Azog must send his trolls and ogres in early on, as the Dwarven chariots really have to be eliminated straight away in narrative terms.