Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Please forgive me if this is known/has been discussed already, but isn't the section of music at 0:54 in Sons of Durin very reminiscent of that edited out section of the Forest River, where Bombur is hacking orcs up in his barrel, and jumps into a new barrel in the river? A new theme, or just a reference?

I was meaning 6:06 onwards, just to be specific... I could be wrong though ? In the BotFA EE, via tracking, it's used twice for Bofur on the troll, maybe something to do with Dwarven heroics?

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably a pretty boring observation that is either wrong or doesn't mean anything :P but I was just listening to TTT again, and couldn't help but be reminded of the Ogres' motif by 3:58 onwards of "The Wolves of Isengard"... just found it pretty cool they sounded so strangely similar, if only in shape...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't get it. And it seemed pretty amateurish. I miss BB's videos :(

No football fans round here then?

BB's fucked us all. I believe now he sacrificed himself so that I might return to the forum. The two of us could never co-exist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I find myself coming back again and again to Battle For The Mountain.

The first 3 minutes are quite frankly among the best Shore has ever written. Dain's theme there is pure magic. I would die to hear an extension of that.

Too bad the film ruins it.

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I find myself coming back again and again to Battle For The Mountain.

The first 3 minutes are quite frankly among the best Shore has ever written. Dain's theme there is pure magic. I would die to hear an extension of that.

Too bad the film ruins it.

Yes if only there had been a chance for Shore to give it more workout in the subsequent scenes. Now it is confined in two pieces in the score and the end credits.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

0:52 is surely library music? Those drums don't sound like Shore.

Woah another fellowship statement!

Significant parts of BotFA don't sound like Shore.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Significant parts?

Practically every time a drum Rhythm emerges, so yes.

Also, the orchestration in the beginning of There And Back Again sounds un-Shore, and the mix of the whistle is completely unlike Shore-conducted Shire music.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

"...sound exactly like if they had been recorded at Abbey Road".

How does someone try to make one studio sound like another?

They tried to recreate the Orchestra set up by positioning everyone the same way, which makes no sense, because no matter how you organise the instruments, you're not going to make a concert hall sound like a recording studio.

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

It's funny that, with LOTR, Shore was adamant on keeping the same recording and mixing techniques on all three scores to have a unified sound throughout the trilogy, even though there were technological evolutions/changes in the way music was recorded recorded throughout the 3 years he worked on these scores (I think they mention that in one of the documentaries or one of the liners notes of the OSTs), yet with The Hobbit, it seems they threw that idea out of the window pretty quickly. Of course, they pretend they did everything to have DOS and BOFA sound exactly like if they had been recorded at Abbey Road, to have the same sound as AUJ, but let's face it, those two scores sound nothing like the first one.

I wonder how Shore feels about the sound of these scores. Did he approve it? I'd have a hard time believing that. Some cues sound too dry, others sound too wet, others just sound like shit...

Yeah. I was reading some old threads on here, and a lot of people were essentially going with the line that the Shore was on board with the decisions made regarding moving the recordings to NZ and bringing in Pope. I can't blame them, that was the official line back then, but now I wonder if opinions are changing on what really went down.

Middle-Earth is Shore's life work. Like Jackson, it's what he's going to be primarily remembered for.  Also like Jackson, it's unlikely that nothing he does from here on out will surpass it in greatness or popularity. And Shore just hands all that over, willingly, to someone else to finish it? Again, I just don't buy it.