Arpy

Hello All

Hey, I'm Rhys!

I've been a long time lurker/stalker and have to say I enjoy the discussions here and the banter!

I'm a university student living in Australia studying Fine Arts and seek to follow a career in Conceptual Art and Design for Games, Television and Film. On the side of this endeavor I'm a very rough beginner to composition hoping to take a supplemental course next year in the subject.

My earliest John Williams encounter (with his music) was in 1997 when I was only 5 and my dad had put on the VHS of the 1977 original. My first interest in film music was back in 1999 - 2001 period which saw the release of The Phantom Menace, The Lord of the Rings the Fellowship of the Ring and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, All scores which immediately had me hooked on film music. However I have to mention here that around this time my love of scores began with a Videogame: The Legend of Zelda The Ocarina of Time which to this day I am fond of. Looking back, I think my interest in film scores is largely centered in their ability to thematically connect me to characters and places I loved in the films I watched and the games I played and Ocarina of Time more than other games is thematically structured.

Howard Shore is my second favourite composer which is funny considering my favourite film scores are his for the Lord of the Rings (Not so much the Hobbit - but time will tell and maybe I will discuss it later).

I'm a massive supporter of Michael Giacchino whom I adore for trying to keep the older type of Hollywood scoring alive. James Newton Howard is simply marvelous and someone who I believe has similar traits to Williams in places, in the complexity of his writing and so on. John Powell is another favourite ever since X-Men: The Last Stand and How to Train Your Dragon, his scores are magical, majestic and bombastic at times.

Murray Gold, Mark Mothersbaugh, Hans Zimmer all receive honorable mentions although I'm not particularly a fan of the RCP style of watered down orchestral/synth composition, I admire Tron Legacy and Inception.

I hope I can add to the discussion here and get to know all of you better!

Well hello there!

Good to see you're a long time lurker, which means you'll probably last longer than most new members who join and unfortunately leave us pretty quickly because they are put off by the "posting style" (so to speak) of some members. But since you're used to it, I'm sure it'll be no problem for you to fit in!

And it's always nice to have another Zelda fan in here. ;)

Well hello there!

Good to see you're a long time lurker, which means you'll probably last longer than most new members who join and unfortunately leave us pretty quickly because they are put off by the "posting style" (so to speak) of some members. But since you're used to it, I'm sure it'll be no problem for you to fit in!

And it's always nice to have another Zelda fan in here. ;)

That's true, but if you're a lurker like I was, you get quickly accustomed to how the long standing members communicate. And maybe learn a thing or two for when you do join. :D

RPurton: Yay for Zelda! Do check out the official topic for Legend of Zelda and the very lively video games discussion. But beware of Stefan, and don't go talking about how artistic games have become.

Welcome and good luck! Don't be turned off the craziness around here. But I'm sure you're familiar with it, with all the lurking and all.

Which ones did you play?

I'm not really a gamer, I dabbled in the first two Zelda games for Nintendo 64 and maybe Super Mario 64.

I admire Tron Legacy and Inception.

This one shows great promise.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing? haha

Wellcome. This IS the greatest forum to talk about Tolkien and game music. Not so much Williams.

So I've read :)

Welcome aboard, RPuton.

I too have recently taken up composing (two years ago, to be precise), but the real secret to becoming better at it is to know your music theory...

and then know how to walk the fine line between order and chaos in order to bring about your musical intentions.