Muted Trumpet, Muted Horn or Stopped Horn?

Sharkissimo

We've already got a thread for help on identifying chords, this one is for instrumentation. I don't know about you, but depending on whether or not the instruments are close mic'd, hall mic'd or recorded with a small/large diaphragm, condenser/dynamic mice etc. - I can have trouble differentiating muted trumpets and stopped horns, and in some cases muted horns.

Take the fp> punctuations in this eerie John Barry cue. I initially thought it was a solo stopped horn, but a professional trumpet player I talked to told me it could be a trumpet with a metal straight mute.

Well going by the seating position, probably stopped horns. But then I hear a solo trumpet too starting at 1:50... with a harmon mute?

I concur. The first part does sound more like stopped horn than muted trumpet, and it's pretty far left in the stereo image.

Well going by the seating position, probably stopped horns. But then I hear a solo trumpet too starting at 1:50... with a harmon mute?

I concur. The first part does sound more like stopped horn than muted trumpet, and it's pretty far left in the stereo image.

But what about the bit at 1:50 - trumpet with metal straight mute? It doesn't sound... pinched enough to be a harmon (without stem).

BTW, how many horns? 2, 3, 4, more?

• 5 months later...

It actually sounds like a combination of stopped and open (half/half), possibly doubled (at least towards the end of the passage) by bassoons? What's also unusual, is the low range of the stopped writing (again, towards the end of the passage in question); you can really hear it becoming unstable, and it sounds a bit uncomfortable for the players. A great sound nevertheless!

Thanks Marcus.

Listening closer I hear the open horns in the background. So probably 3 open, 3 stopped? Not sure about bassoons.

What's the giveaway when it comes to discerning stopped horns from horned with metal mutes - is it only noticeable in that low register? I thought I have a good ear for orchestration, but this kind of thing still bugs me.

Solo stopped horn + solo muted bass trombone?

• 2 years later...

I have a question for @hornist, @karelm, @TheGreyPilgrim or anyone else in the know. What creates that delicious upward bend on the certain notes when playing low on the horn?

Here's an example from Dragonslayer. Listen to the way the tutti horns land on the G#. Might they be responding to an accent mark in the score?

20 hours ago, Sharky said:

I have a question for @hornist, @karelm, @TheGreyPilgrim or anyone else in the know. What creates that delicious upward bend on the certain notes when playing low on the horn?

Here's an example from Dragonslayer. Listen to the way the tutti horns land on the G#. Might they be responding to an accent mark in the score?

I don't think there is anything unusual going on here.  Just low horns with other low instruments such as contrabassoon or two and several tubas and euphoniums mixed with very high piercing e flat clarinet. This is probably carefully notated so slur into a staccato A before the G#.  Low horns in unison can be quite menacing.  This is just four very low horns in unison practically unaccompanied except for the piano (with low pizz strings) but no unusual technique other than phrasing:

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

What kind of instrument (or probably synthesizer) is it at the beginning of "Discoveries" from "The Mummy"?

It's a synth at the start but a muted horns when heard here: